Author Topic: The Basement starts  (Read 65648 times)

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: The Basement starts
« Reply #150 on: April 29, 2009, 08:14:14 AM »
Gotta have pics!

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #151 on: April 30, 2009, 05:44:21 AM »
I have 1.. installing the sub.. thanks to Rich again.. this was an undertaking I would have no clue where to start.. Also thanks to Shane for helping me figure out the wiring again.  It was wired right,then I re-wired it right.. then found out the preamp outs are dealing with a lot of capacitance.. so, not sure how I'm going to overcome that yet... I guess turn up the preamp out! ;)

-C

[attachment deleted by admin based on 2 year limit]
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #152 on: April 30, 2009, 06:50:36 AM »
Is the amp back with the sub?  If it is, you might look at a pair of baluns to convert to XLR and then back to unbalanced.  That will also buffer the preamp from the capacitance of the cable.

By the way, I think you need a bigger driver  ;)

Bryan

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #153 on: April 30, 2009, 07:54:05 AM »
Why do you think you have cable capacitance issue?

What kind of IC wire are you using to the subamp and how long? Belden LC-1 coax is extremely low 12pF capacitance, $3/ft
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/audio/index.htm

This is for the Onkyo LFE output right? Sol can design a simple opamp buffer for you. I can build it if it's simple.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #154 on: April 30, 2009, 11:17:55 AM »
I bought the LC-1 subwoofer cable from BlueJeans.. There seems to be good signal using the fixed output of my preamp.. I'm just testing things now.. The Onkyo isn't down there yet.  I'll know more when I get it all sorted.

The platforms are carpeted now.  I'm going to vacuum, and photograph.. then, the seats should get here anytime now..

-C

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #155 on: April 30, 2009, 11:52:09 AM »
OK, ready for seats!
The sub, she rocks, btw. :)

Also, the red cords are rope lights that will be nailed down soon.. and are on a dimmer.

[attachment deleted by admin based on 2 year limit]

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #156 on: April 30, 2009, 01:21:45 PM »
Fine looking power cords if I do say so myself.  :D

(The rest looks good also!)  :rofl:

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #157 on: April 30, 2009, 01:56:27 PM »
The black violet really looks cool.  If I had a band, I'd make all of our cords that color.
It's delivering power to the sub now.. it's a'pumpin' with a full supply of Black Sand goodness.. from the cryo'd panel, through the cryo'd romex, to the fancy ATL outlet, then through the power cord all the way to the amp.  The electricity is truly delivered with care.  No corners were cut on power.  I even ran a separate run from the main panel using copper wire just for the equipment.  I wish I'd replaced the aluminum crap for the rest of the house while I was at it.. sigh. 

Thanks again, John.  You hooked me up with some of things that really soothed my 'nervosa'.  I can't do any better than what we did.

In other basement news...
Theater seats are here and going in...
One snafu has already been encountered.. the seats don't really straddle the sub like I'd hoped.  It lets the backs of the chairs suspend off the back a couple of inches.. even though it's fully supported on the platform, it looks weird.  But I really don't care since it's fully supported.

One row is in and working.  I've got help coming for the next 2 rows.

-C

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #158 on: April 30, 2009, 02:19:38 PM »
OK...I'm officially going to be too embarassed to ever have a G2G at my house, now  ](*,)!!!

My poor house looks like a 2-room country shack compared to Rich's, Mike's, and now Carl's. Do any of you guys want to adopt a poor audiophile????

The room looks great, Carl, even in pictures. I'm sure it's amazing live and in color.
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #159 on: April 30, 2009, 03:06:40 PM »
Looking good Carl!  You'll be in there listening in no time and all that work will be a distant memory.

Bryan

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #160 on: April 30, 2009, 06:29:18 PM »

Theater seats are here and going in...

What did you buy? I have had my eye on some Berklin stuff. http://www.berkline.com/ht/

zybar

« Reply #161 on: April 30, 2009, 06:39:43 PM »
Very cool looking Carl - great job!

George

Offline richidoo

« Reply #162 on: April 30, 2009, 06:49:57 PM »
Awesome! The sub driver looks cool coming out of the carpet. 

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #163 on: May 08, 2009, 09:08:35 AM »
Should the name of this thread be converted to "the Basement Continues" or "The Basement Nears Completion?"

I'm not sure which looks the most like Heaven...Wrigley Field, Fenway Park or Carl's basement.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #164 on: May 08, 2009, 10:55:04 AM »
I got a small taste of the new sub yesterday. It is quite potent, but it blends in with music nicely. My 10yo sat in the chair above it and started laughing.

With the dedicated theater seating, lighting, music PC all set up it is really coming together.  The stuffed leather seats and carpet already make the room sound better than my living room.