Author Topic: Phono pre amp question  (Read 6266 times)

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Phono pre amp question
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2023, 08:29:34 AM »
All excellent gear.  Go get your pricey phono pre and let us know what you think. 
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline long_island_audio_nut

• Seeking Help
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2023, 11:48:09 AM »
It would help to know what it will match up with.   Every phono preamp I have owned were different from each other, but none made as much difference as a cartridge upgrade or even a stylus upgrade.
What is your table, your cartridge, your tonearm, your tonearm cable, and the interconnects from phono pre to preamp?

My system is:
Classe C200 200 watt power amp
Mctintosh C2600 pre-amp
VPI Classic II turntable with a Clear audio Mastro MM cartridge
Sonus Faber Olympia II speakes

My system
Classe C200 Amp
Mcintosh C2600 Pre-Amp
VPI Classic II table with Clear Audio Mastro MM cartridge
Oppo Blue Ray player
Bluesound Vault
Prima Luna EVO 100 Tube DAC
Samsung 80" 4K TV

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2023, 07:11:23 PM »
That's a nice vinyl rig.  A good phono preamp will definitely make a difference. 
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

• Seeking Help
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2023, 07:58:20 AM »
That's a nice vinyl rig.  A good phono preamp will definitely make a difference.

Thanks.  I am very happy with it and I know that I would get a better sound out of a good phono pre-amp verses directly into the Mac. 

The reviews of the Coincidence are all excellent but would still love to be able to hear the dam thing before I go out and spend 6 to 7 k on it
My system
Classe C200 Amp
Mcintosh C2600 Pre-Amp
Oppo Blue Ray player
Bluesound Vault
Samsung 80" 4K TV

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2023, 09:52:09 AM »

The reviews of the Coincidence are all excellent but would still love to be able to hear the dam thing before I go out and spend 6 to 7 k on it
Unfortunately, reviews are often suspect... and none tell you what it will sound like in your system.
Do they ever come up used?  If it disappointed, you could move along and probably get 80% of your money back.   
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2023, 01:49:17 PM »
It’s not the only game in town- there are many great phono preamps out there that offer a trial period, either sold directly or through online dealers that offer a trial. I’m old enough to have been disappointed by a number of expensive audiophile products and their reviews.
Good luck in your quest, but don’t get too caught up on one product and it’s reviews. Ten years ago I was laid up with shoulder surgery, and auditioned DACs from four different companies. Sure, it costs shipping to send them back, but it was eye opening. I only say this because phono preamps are relatively light and small to ship, nothing like amplifiers and speakers.
Spoiler- I kept what I had because the cost of ‘upgrading’ was not justified.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • All we need is music, sweet music
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2023, 08:49:00 PM »

Unfortunately, reviews are often suspect... and none tell you what it will sound like in your system.
Do they ever come up used?  If it disappointed, you could move along and probably get 80% of your money back.

True. Reality though is that these days a $7K purchase not seeing and/or hearing is more common and IMO really with only moderate risk, provided of course there is sufficient do diligence on the part of the buyer.

EDIT: If I'm not mistaken I think Mark Cuban holds the record for largest financial transaction via the internet, and without seeing the item prior and in person....it was/is a jet plane, and it cost him few million  :thumb:
« Last Edit: April 22, 2023, 09:17:29 PM by GDHAL »
GoldenEar Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
http://halr.x10.mx/other.html

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • All we need is music, sweet music
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2023, 08:53:54 PM »
It’s not the only game in town- there are many great phono preamps out there that offer a trial period, either sold directly or through online dealers that offer a trial. I’m old enough to have been disappointed by a number of expensive audiophile products and their reviews.
Good luck in your quest, but don’t get too caught up on one product and it’s reviews. Ten years ago I was laid up with shoulder surgery, and auditioned DACs from four different companies. Sure, it costs shipping to send them back, but it was eye opening. I only say this because phono preamps are relatively light and small to ship, nothing like amplifiers and speakers.
Spoiler- I kept what I had because the cost of ‘upgrading’ was not justified.

I propose it is or at least can be normal to get caught up on a product and reviews.

Terrible, the only game in town
Passenger, don't you hear me?
Destination seen unclearly.

Best.

Hal

GoldenEar Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
http://halr.x10.mx/other.html

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2023, 08:22:16 AM »

So true. Both personal and professional.

Cheers

steve
« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 08:25:52 AM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

• Seeking Help
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2023, 03:26:02 PM »

True. Reality though is that these days a $7K purchase not seeing and/or hearing is more common and IMO really with only moderate risk, provided of course there is sufficient do diligence on the part of the buyer.

EDIT: If I'm not mistaken I think Mark Cuban holds the record for largest financial transaction via the internet, and without seeing the item prior and in person....it was/is a jet plane, and it cost him few million  :thumb:

I totally agree.  And what worries me is I have never read a review where they say "Do not waste your money".  Of course they never would because it's the companies that make the equipment that are putting money in their pockets
My system
Classe C200 Amp
Mcintosh C2600 Pre-Amp
Oppo Blue Ray player
Bluesound Vault
Samsung 80" 4K TV