Author Topic: New surrounds for old speakers  (Read 2667 times)

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
New surrounds for old speakers
« on: June 05, 2023, 03:33:53 PM »
A friend mentioned that his speakers had lost their surrounds and he couldn't listen to them anymore.  I loaned him a pair and told him I'd fix his old ones.
Turns out these are old Radio Shack 15" with horn two ways.  The crossover amounted to a bobbin coil and an electrolytic cap. Big mostly empty box wired with probably 22 ga and push on connectors.  Looks like 5/8" particle board. What a true turd. I just pulled carpet out a bedroom, so I lined the cabinets with old carpet padding. 
One refoam went smooth, and the other was a pain in the butt.  Did it 3 times because I couldn't get it centered, even after cutting out the dust cap in using shims.  Finally got it.  Going to birthday gathering where he'll be there, and I can get these things out of my house.   And of course, I cut the crap out of my thumb on it. 

Wow, Radio Shack really didn't even bother back in the day.  Hey, it's got 15" woofers so it must be good.

Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: New surrounds for old speakers
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2023, 07:13:52 PM »
A friend mentioned that his speakers had lost their surrounds and he couldn't listen to them anymore.  I loaned him a pair and told him I'd fix his old ones.
Turns out these are old Radio Shack 15" with horn two ways.  The crossover amounted to a bobbin coil and an electrolytic cap. Big mostly empty box wired with probably 22 ga and push on connectors.  Looks like 5/8" particle board. What a true turd. I just pulled carpet out a bedroom, so I lined the cabinets with old carpet padding. 
One refoam went smooth, and the other was a pain in the butt.  Did it 3 times because I couldn't get it centered, even after cutting out the dust cap in using shims.  Finally got it.  Going to birthday gathering where he'll be there, and I can get these things out of my house.   And of course, I cut the crap out of my thumb on it. 

Wow, Radio Shack really didn't even bother back in the day.  Hey, it's got 15" woofers so it must be good.

I miss those Radio Shack stores.... you sure did quite a project for your friend. I hope his expectations aren't un"realistic" 🙄
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS