Author Topic: Turntable buzz/hum  (Read 460 times)

Offline long_island_audio_nut

• Seeking Help
Turntable buzz/hum
« on: February 09, 2024, 07:59:59 AM »
Not sure this is the forum to post in but here goes
I have a VPI Classic II turntable with Transparent music link plus cables.  I get a hum and thumping.  If I gently push up on the cables connected to the junction box on the turntable I can get rid of the hum and either lower the thumping to almost nothing and sometimes get rid of it entirely. 
The table is grounded to the pre amp.  I tried disconnecting the ground wire from the preamp and connecting it to the  outlet plate and had the same issue. 
It is definitely the table as I have no interference from the DAC or anything else
Any help would be greatly appreciated.   
My system
Classe C200 Amp
Mcintosh C2600 Pre-Amp
VPI Classic II table with Clear Audio Mastro MM cartridge
Oppo Blue Ray player
Bluesound Vault
Prima Luna EVO 100 Tube DAC
Samsung 80" 4K TV

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • All we need is music, sweet music
Re: Turntable buzz/hum
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2024, 09:26:44 AM »
Not sure this is the forum to post in but here goes
I have a VPI Classic II turntable with Transparent music link plus cables.  I get a hum and thumping.  If I gently push up on the cables connected to the junction box on the turntable I can get rid of the hum and either lower the thumping to almost nothing and sometimes get rid of it entirely. 
The table is grounded to the pre amp.  I tried disconnecting the ground wire from the preamp and connecting it to the  outlet plate and had the same issue. 
It is definitely the table as I have no interference from the DAC or anything else
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reads as though the issue is with the junction box. The junction box merely converts XLR to RCA, right? That isn't to say it's necessary converting balanced to single ended though. I don't know. If that's a VPI part, I'd give Mat, his dad, or someone at VPI a call. In the meantime, if you can remove the junction box and test that would be worthwhile. I hope it works out for you. :)
GoldenEar Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
http://halr.x10.mx/other.html

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2024, 09:54:28 AM »
Have you tried another cable? Any RCA ended cables would work just to test- maybe one or both of the Transparent cables solder or crimp joints are failing.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline long_island_audio_nut

• Seeking Help
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2024, 12:49:31 PM »
Have you tried another cable? Any RCA ended cables would work just to test- maybe one or both of the Transparent cables solder or crimp joints are failing.

Going to play with it a bit tomorrow.  I'm on call tomorrow so married to the house.
My system
Classe C200 Amp
Mcintosh C2600 Pre-Amp
VPI Classic II table with Clear Audio Mastro MM cartridge
Oppo Blue Ray player
Bluesound Vault
Prima Luna EVO 100 Tube DAC
Samsung 80" 4K TV

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • All we need is music, sweet music
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2024, 02:46:13 PM »

Going to play with it a bit tomorrow.  I'm on call tomorrow so married to the house.

Priorities are in order.  :thumb:
GoldenEar Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
http://halr.x10.mx/other.html

Offline Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2024, 09:20:44 PM »
I would test continuity of the cables for sure.