Author Topic: Will Gan Fet replace tubes in the future?  (Read 5608 times)

Offline TopRound‎

• Certifiable
Will Gan Fet replace tubes in the future?
« on: November 20, 2022, 02:03:18 PM »
I have heard several GAn Fet amps in the last two shows I have been to, and I must say I am impressed, crystalline clarity with color and tone. I can see a good tube pre in front making wonderful tunes.
Is it the same as tubes, not exactly but it moves closer to them than any of the previous topologies I have heard before, IMO.

what say you?
Shall we sword fight?

I think I may buy one for my son. I have an old Dynaco Pass 3 preamp thats been modded, could be a nice combo.

BS artist formerly known as topround
System: Nothing....gave it all up, but building a few things for my kids...vinyl, tubes and Gan Fet!

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Will Gan Fet replace tubes in the future?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2022, 10:20:14 AM »
  The Dynaco will add some nice color. Liking the LSA Warp -1 class D right now.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2022, 10:31:19 PM »
There have been and are inherent flaws in devices and topologies that render the very best
solid A, AB amps sounding different than the very best vacuum tube components.

One of the largest differences are the large ufd electrolytic capacitors in the output stage of the amplifier.
This is due to the comparative low voltage/high current vs the high voltage/low current of tube
output stages. These large capacitors have high DA (dielectric absorption) and ESR (equivalent series
resistance).

Distortion spectra, odd number harmonics vs even harmonics, although HD and IMD can be minimized
with enough global negative feedback. But then some feel GNF has problems as well.

Some solid state devices can have high internal capacitances, high Miller capacitance, high DA of
insulating materials, high ESR of the materials used. Hexfets have been known
to have junction capacitances of .001uf, the junction capacitance varying with voltage applied,
up to ~25 volts.

Other SS devices have quite low capacitances, but still high DA and ESR.

An interesting problem I accidentally encountered decades ago involved bleedthru with reversed biased
1N914, 1N4148 diodes.

Too late to think about more differences.

cheers

steve
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 10:41:54 PM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2022, 03:04:20 AM »
I have heard several GAn Fet amps in the last two shows I have been to, and I must say I am impressed, crystalline clarity with color and tone. I can see a good tube pre in front making wonderful tunes.
Is it the same as tubes, not exactly but it moves closer to them than any of the previous topologies I have heard before, IMO.

what say you?
Shall we sword fight?
 :shock:
I think I may buy one for my son. I have an old Dynaco Pass 3 preamp thats been modded, could be a nice combo.

BS artist formerly known as topround

Hmmm…the name sounds familiar ….
Phoenix (mythology) - Wikipedia
Associated with the sun, a phoenix obtains new life by rising from the ashes of its predecessor. Some legends say it dies in a show of flames and combustion, others that it simply dies and decomposes before being born again.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2022, 03:06:22 AM »

charles

Charles,
Can you compare the Warp 1 to some other amps? Not just Class D types…
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2022, 08:42:06 AM »
  It is just a neutral sound with weight. Since we listen to a system that is the best I can offer. Adds nothing subtracts nothing. Very dynamic and quiet.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline ejk

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Did I say no dropouts ?
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2022, 09:08:53 AM »

charles

Charles,

Nick it seems that what ever you read about these amps most say the same thing. It has no sound it has no color etc... but to me thats a sound and it seems like no one is able to describe it which makes no sense. I think it can still sound dull, harsh etc... I just dont get it
Aric Audio Super 6SN7 Line, Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra, Quicksilver Mid Monos, Lumin U2 Mini, Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1,Denafrips Iris DDC, Spatial Audio M3 Saphire, Hapa Audio Interconnects, TWL power cords, TWL speaker cables, Wireworld USB, i2s.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2022, 09:41:58 AM »
 I can assure you the Warp-1 is not dull, harsh, dry , bright or thin. It has wonderful natural tonality and harmonics. Just wonderful reviews. $1100 to boot. Sold by Underwoodie Hi Fi.

charles

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2022, 09:47:19 AM »

charles

Charles,

Nick it seems that what ever you read about these amps most say the same thing. It has no sound it has no color etc... but to me thats a sound and it seems like no one is able to describe it which makes no sense. I think it can still sound dull, harsh etc... I just dont get it

Evan,

I was trying to get a handle where it might fit in comparison to my AVA SET 120…a great little amp. I’m in the queue for Leo’s Ultra amp, so unlikely I’ll audition the Warp 1
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline ejk

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2022, 12:16:35 PM »
I can assure you the Warp-1 is not dull, harsh, dry , bright or thin. It has wonderful natural tonality and harmonics. Just wonderful reviews. $1100 to boot. Sold by Underwoodie Hi Fi.

charles

Charles my point is how do we know its natural. That to me is subjective
Aric Audio Super 6SN7 Line, Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra, Quicksilver Mid Monos, Lumin U2 Mini, Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1,Denafrips Iris DDC, Spatial Audio M3 Saphire, Hapa Audio Interconnects, TWL power cords, TWL speaker cables, Wireworld USB, i2s.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2022, 12:30:06 PM »

charles

Charles my point is how do we know its natural. That to me is subjective

It made no coloration in my system got out of the way. Again my system and the systems used by the reviewers. They said the same thing. Only one way to find out. Try it easy to return.

charles

Offline ejk

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2022, 02:34:00 PM »
I’ll admit, for some reason, that I’m a bit skeptical of an $1,100 LSA Warp 1 amp being that good. But I was a bit prejudiced against the AVA amps until Jack recommended the AVA SET 120 as he has the higher powered SET 400. I was absolutely wrong and the 120 is terrific, so it would probably be a good idea if I kept a more open mind  :duh
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline ejk

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2022, 03:08:10 PM »
I’ll admit, for some reason, that I’m a bit skeptical of an $1,100 LSA Warp 1 amp being that good. But I was a bit prejudiced against the AVA amps until Jack recommended the AVA SET 120 as he has the higher powered SET 400. I was absolutely wrong and the 120 is terrific, so it would probably be a good idea if I kept a more open mind  :duh

You can stick with AVA

https://avahifi.com/products/black-friday-sale?_pos=1&_sid=93589b864&_ss=r

Offline Jack

• Certifiable
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2022, 05:34:23 PM »
While Frank makes very good amps as Nick has found out I don't think he is going to give up his Supratek for that preamp as I know I wouldn't.
JVC QL-Y7 w/ Denon DL-301 Mk II
Vista Phono II
Jays Audio CDT3 Mk III
Supratek Cabernet
Kinki Studio EX-B7's
Holo Audio May KTE
Auralic Aries G1
Verity Otello
(2) Rythmik F12SE
TWL PC's
Audio Envy IC, PC, SC
Inakustik USB, I2S