Author Topic: Attenuators  (Read 1708 times)

Offline ejk

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Did I say no dropouts ?
Attenuators
« on: August 25, 2022, 12:29:40 PM »
Does anyone know if I hooked up some Harrison 3db attenuators is there any signal loss
Aric Audio Super 6SN7 Line, Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra, Quicksilver Mid Monos, Lumin U2 Mini, Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1,Denafrips Iris DDC, Spatial Audio M3 Saphire, Hapa Audio Interconnects, TWL power cords, TWL speaker cables, Wireworld USB, i2s.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Attenuators
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2022, 05:31:39 PM »
Isn't the purpose of a 3db attenuator to lower the signal level  by 3db?

I'm  not sure what you are asking?

If it is a well designed attenuator you should have a linear reduction of all frequencies by 3db. There should be no "loss" other than that. (but of course we all know that there can be sonic changes any time we insert anything at all in the signal path, but other than that , in theory, you should see nothing other than a linear reduction in gain.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2022, 06:30:33 AM »
I've tried the Harrison Fmods high pass filters to fliter out low frequencies to my amp. They did do  good job of that but at a cost. Frequencies that passed lost transparency and dynamics
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Purity Audio Design
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2022, 08:00:17 AM »
If you are talking about loss of detail, it would depend on the input impedance of the amp. Unless perfectly match, you could experience a loss of detail and resolution.
Design Engineer
Purity Audio Design www.PurityAudioDesign.com
Purity Foundation Streaming Pre, Foundation DAC, Purity Foundation Hybrid GaN 200, Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Classic, Sony SACD Player, Nakamichi tape deck,

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2022, 09:20:58 AM »
I tried them once, long ago. Crap!
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline ejk

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2022, 12:18:42 PM »
Tried a pair, doesn't sound like any detail was lost. Does what I need it to do which is reduce the gain so I can get more control on volume
Aric Audio Super 6SN7 Line, Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra, Quicksilver Mid Monos, Lumin U2 Mini, Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1,Denafrips Iris DDC, Spatial Audio M3 Saphire, Hapa Audio Interconnects, TWL power cords, TWL speaker cables, Wireworld USB, i2s.

Offline ejk

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2022, 12:20:24 PM »
I tried them once, long ago. Crap!

RAVE IN FLORIDA :thumb:

Offline James Edward

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2022, 02:55:53 PM »
I respect the opinions given; I’ve not tried attenuators. What I like about this forum is the civility. Had the same question been posed on Audiogon, it would not have been answered in the same manner. See my Audiogon subwoofer setup question for contrast…   :roll:

Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline _Scotty_

• “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2022, 03:49:30 PM »
Strictly speaking from personal experience, YMMV, every time I inserted a passive component in a line level signal path I have been able to hear its impact sonically and it was never positive.
Sometimes I made the trade off as in the case of a inducing a low frequency roll off in the main system
to facilitate the addition of a subwoofer to the system.
  I used a single very high quality
capacitor between the preamp and the main amp and it hurt things like the edge transients and contributed to an overall dulling of the sound. I lived with it until I
changed to a full range loudspeaker that needed no subwoofer for 20hz extension.
 There's always going to be a series of trade offs
when optimizing a stereo system.☹️
Scotty

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2022, 10:24:42 PM »
My best results for an in-line high-pass are obtained by paralleling 4 small value ( 3 x .015 Gen 1 Sonicaps + 1 x .001 Gen 2 Sonicaps ).

This is the place capacitor direction is best heard IME.  Getting the outer foil leads of the caps at the input of the filter is essential.  This arrangement provides the lowest noise for a capacitor bank.

Great connectors, great solder, internal wiring ( I use the capacitor lead wire for the whole shebang ) in well shielded boxes are a must, too.  I prefer to build these items with only 2 connectors needed - hardwired at the filter on both sides.  Low mass connectors ( ETI) sounds best.

OTOH - with music server type digital sources using a Steinberg VST plug-in mastering EQ that does everything in the digital domain is a damned good option.  Virtually ( pun, here ) seamless and transparent.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2022, 09:15:21 PM »
Does anyone know if I hooked up some Harrison 3db attenuators is there any signal loss

Hi ejk,

Your are probably fortunate if you have dc coupling from the source output, so low frequency response
sould be good. In such a case, the main concern would be with high frequency response as the internal
resistor voltage divider and load capacitances would increase high frequency losses.

If your source has capacitive coupling, that is another matter. With such, the total resistance
has to be high enough to preserve the low frequencies, yet low enough ohmage as to preserve the highs.

Even further, the materials, terminations etc matter as well.

Unwanted losses and distortions almost always occurs, as Scotty and others mention. Great care
concerning the variables just mentioned and specialized listening techniques are needed to
minimize sonic degradation.

hope this helps ejk and others out there.

steve
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 08:12:45 AM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers