Author Topic: I think my System is virtually, finally finished  (Read 29282 times)

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
Re: I think my System is virtually, finally finished
« Reply #120 on: January 30, 2024, 10:03:15 AM »
One other tidbit if I may.

It is almost always advantageous to use the same brand, and even model, capacitor throughout
a design. When one has to compensate an inferior capacitor with a different
brand capacitor, the end result is almost always degraded sound in one or more aspects.

Using the same brand, the most natural/accurate capacitors in a design results in fewer abnormal
aspects in sound. Of course, the budget needs to be considered.

As an example, adding a single 1ufd solen capacitor into the crossover network negatively affected
the sound of the entire system.

One outstanding, natural, accurate capacitor, in absolute terms, is the Mundorf M EVO aluminum,
in oil (white covering). Small to large values I have tested are outstanding and recommended.
(I am not affiliated, and/or compensated in any way from Mundorf.)

cheers

steve
I have found capacitors made by SCR (Solen, Axon, etc) have a house sound: gritty 🫤 . 

I'm in absolute agreement about using the same cap family in gear for consistency.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline steve

• Audiologist
Re: I think my System is virtually, finally finished
« Reply #121 on: January 30, 2024, 12:19:01 PM »
One other tidbit if I may.

It is almost always advantageous to use the same brand, and even model, capacitor throughout
a design. When one has to compensate an inferior capacitor with a different
brand capacitor, the end result is almost always degraded sound in one or more aspects.

Using the same brand, the most natural/accurate capacitors in a design results in fewer abnormal
aspects in sound. Of course, the budget needs to be considered.

As an example, adding a single 1ufd solen capacitor into the crossover network negatively affected
the sound of the entire system.

One outstanding, natural, accurate capacitor, in absolute terms, is the Mundorf M EVO aluminum,
in oil (white covering). Small to large values I have tested are outstanding and recommended.
(I am not affiliated, and/or compensated in any way from Mundorf.)

cheers

steve
I have found capacitors made by SCR (Solen, Axon, etc) have a house sound: gritty 🫤 . 

I'm in absolute agreement about using the same cap family in gear for consistency.

Nice way of putting it Dave. Same here, gritty, which means the harmonic structure
of the instruments/voices has to be altered, and different from, say, the M EVO Mundorfs.

I found adding the 1 ufd solen filled out the sound slightly in my system, which 1ufd would,
but the music was just not as natural. Instruments/voices sounded off, harmonics were messed up.

I mentioned this aspect because on other forums I have read some trying to improve
synergy by using different brand caps. Better off to improve the overall design.

cheers

steve

« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 12:22:08 PM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers