Author Topic: AXPONA 2011  (Read 49450 times)

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
Re: AXPONA 2011
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2011, 02:08:55 PM »
shek,
you were there for only 90 minutes?

Wow, I guess I will sit this one out and stay with the kids (plan B)
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

evan1

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2011, 02:13:13 PM »
shek,

Mike
When you are retired you lose all track of time. And besides, he had to make the 4  pm dinner at the old folks home :rofl:

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2011, 02:14:01 PM »
Well that's a shame, I was toying with the idea of driving up tomorrow, but guess not. I'll play with cartridges instead.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2011, 02:34:03 PM »
shek, were you able to tell whether the Legacys treble was a tad too hot like I thought in ATL, or was it too loud to listen critically? Thanks

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2011, 04:12:04 PM »
I got there at 9 AM; just trade & press; I had the whole place to myself, MBL room :thumb: $$$$$, Steinway Lyngdorf room  :thumb: $$$$, Joseph Audio room  :thumb: $$$, TAD CR-1 Room  :duh $$$$ (not impressed), Legacy Room was very musical :thumb: (not crazy pricing) $$, Woodbridge Stereo stuff very good (Levinson, VPI, Revel, etc,  :thumb:; Audio Power Labs 833TNT tube amps at $175K per pair... very cool looking, insane pricing though.... some 3D Home theatre demos very cool though.

It was a mob scene at 1 PM; glad I got most of my listening in before then. The best part was a live acoustic solo violinist (& then viola) Arturo Delmoni performing in the ballroom some Bach from 4 PM - 4:45 PM... nothing, I repeat nothing can reproduce the sound coming from his 1730's era violin & viola!!!

Worth going to... was crowded at 1 PM on... HVAC systems at the hotel not so good!
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline goldlizsts

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Let Music Pass!
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2011, 05:48:05 PM »
I just looked at the exhibitor list and it doesn't look promising but i'll go anyway. Maybe they'll have some good music to buy.

Did same early this morning.................

I guess I should stay home  ?

If you (or anyone) haven't bought your ticket for Day 2, you/he/she/it can have mine for tomorrow (different color wrist band received for Day 2).......... :lol:
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 05:56:21 PM by goldlizsts »

Offline goldlizsts

• Let Music Pass!
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2011, 05:53:42 PM »
shek, were you able to tell whether the Legacys treble was a tad too hot like I thought in ATL, or was it too loud to listen critically? Thanks

Rich, I thought the Legacy's treble was a little on the sharp side.  The mids seemed pretty good.  As I said, overall, the blasting drove us away sooner than we thought we'd stay to perhaps pass a finer judgment of its sound. 

Offline goldlizsts

• Let Music Pass!
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2011, 05:59:26 PM »
shek,

Mike
When you are retired you lose all track of time. And besides, he had to make the 4  pm dinner at the old folks home :rofl:

Note - That 90 minutes "included" 1 water break of 5 minutes.  So, the actual audition time was even less.  Yeah, I did make good time for dinner all right.  If I stayed longer at the show, not sure if it'll affect my appetite (kidding :lol:!).
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 06:11:27 PM by goldlizsts »

Offline goldlizsts

• Let Music Pass!
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2011, 06:14:22 PM »
I got there at 9 AM; just trade & press; I had the whole place to myself, MBL room :thumb: $$$$$, Steinway Lyngdorf room  :thumb: $$$$, Joseph Audio room  :thumb: $$$, TAD CR-1 Room  :duh $$$$ (not impressed), Legacy Room was very musical :thumb: (not crazy pricing) $$, Woodbridge Stereo stuff very good (Levinson, VPI, Revel, etc,  :thumb:; Audio Power Labs 833TNT tube amps at $175K per pair... very cool looking, insane pricing though.... some 3D Home theatre demos very cool though.

It was a mob scene at 1 PM; glad I got most of my listening in before then. The best part was a live acoustic solo violinist (& then viola) Arturo Delmoni performing in the ballroom some Bach from 4 PM - 4:45 PM... nothing, I repeat nothing can reproduce the sound coming from his 1730's era violin & viola!!!

Worth going to... was crowded at 1 PM on... HVAC systems at the hotel not so good!

Pete, by any count, it wasn't a mob scene at 1 p.m. today, IMHO.  [-X

Ah so, I liked that Audio Power Labs 833TNT also.  But.... not for the $$$$$$$$.  Don't think the sound quality = the price tag. :duh
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 06:17:31 PM by goldlizsts »

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2011, 07:06:27 PM »
Thanks for the confirmation shek... it's as I suspected.

We saw the 833TNT guys in Atlanta. They were very fun. Very willing to talk about their amp and explain everything. There's a microprocessor in there controlling everything! We all loved the way they sounded on classic rock, etc. But then I put in a serious violin concerto and it was smeared and hard to hear details. Too much of a good thing? But great power and authority.

evan1

« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2011, 01:43:26 PM »
Just got back ...

evan1

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2011, 02:41:55 PM »
I got there at 9 AM; just trade & press; I had the whole place to myself, MBL room :thumb: $$$$$, Steinway Lyngdorf room  :thumb: $$$$, Joseph Audio room  :thumb: $$$, TAD CR-1 Room  :duh $$$$ (not impressed), Legacy Room was very musical :thumb: (not crazy pricing) $$, Woodbridge Stereo stuff very good (Levinson, VPI, Revel, etc,  :thumb:; Audio Power Labs 833TNT tube amps at $175K per pair... very cool looking, insane pricing though.... some 3D Home theatre demos very cool though.

Pete, by any count, it wasn't a mob scene at 1 p.m. today, IMHO.  [-X

Ah so, I liked that Audio Power Labs 833TNT also.  But.... not for the $$$$$$$$.  Don't think the sound quality = the price tag. :duh

It wasn't packed today either. Almost wrestled David Chesky for the sweetspot in the Steinway room. At first I thought he was Weird Al Yankovich . First I dis Billy Squire at Devore, and now this :duh

Pete I'm surprised you didn't like the Tad room that much,I couldn't get in but Joe heard it and said it was great.

MBL of course was amazing and I liked the Joseph Audio and surprisingly the Opera Calla's.The Linkowitz Orion 4 totally disappeared but 15 G's ? I'd like to hear the Gr Research Super V's in comparison. I got to hand it to Emotiva for showing up to show that is a step above them. I was also impressed with the Concierto speakers. If you want shaking bass these speakers will do it. Totem was there with the Winds but they were set up as mains in a theater set up with Avatar in 3D playing and that motion simulator device on the lounge chairs.I would have liked to hear some music through them.

All in all not a bad day but if they don't have more exhibitors next year I'll stay home.

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2011, 03:15:43 PM »

It wasn't packed today either. Almost wrestled David Chesky for the sweetspot in the Steinway room. At first I thought he was Weird Al Yankovich . First I dis Billy Squire at Devore, and now this :duh

Pete I'm surprised you didn't like the Tad room that much,I couldn't get in but Joe heard it and said it was great.

MBL of course was amazing and I liked the Joseph Audio and surprisingly the Opera Calla's.The Linkowitz Orion 4 totally disappeared but 15 G's ? I'd like to hear the Gr Research Super V's in comparison. I got to hand it to Emotiva for showing up to show that is a step above them. I was also impressed with the Concierto speakers. If you want shaking bass these speakers will do it. Totem was there with the Winds but they were set up as mains in a theater set up with Avatar in 3D playing and that motion simulator device on the lounge chairs.I would have liked to hear some music through them.

All in all not a bad day but if they don't have more exhibitors next year I'll stay home.

IMHO, those TAD monitors lacked bass big time for $37K a pair... perhaps it was the equipment powering them but they had both tube & SS gear; went back a couple times & was not impressed at all; also their TT turntable with the Strain Gauge was not set-up properly & could not be demonstrated; what a bummer. To me, they (TAD speakers) were the biggest disappointment of the show; once again mids & highs nice; bass lacking... my $0.02... not worth $3.7K let alone $37K
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Innuos Statement Server
UberBUSS

evan1

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2011, 03:25:27 PM »

IMHO, those TAD monitors lacked bass big time for $37K a pair... perhaps it was the equipment powering them but they had both tube & SS gear; went back a couple times & was not impressed at all; also their TT turntable with the Strain Gauge was not set-up properly & could not be demonstrated; what a bummer. To me, they (TAD speakers) were the biggest disappointment of the show; once again mids & highs nice; bass lacking... my $0.02... not worth $3.7K let alone $37K

I didn't hear them just going on what was said. I also just saw this

second post

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ymisc&1309000156&&&/NYC-Show

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2011, 05:27:54 PM »
The bass was so lacking that Andy (Drew) went to the demonstrator (from Triode Sound & Video) & asked where the bass was??... he played a Rolling Stones track (Beggar's Banquet - "Sympathy for the Devil") and the midrange was to die for but the bass was missing... Andy, Charlie G & the others in the room felt the same way... then he switched from a tube amp to SS & the same thing...

I'm enamored with the TAD stuff in the past but this speaker didn't cut it for me... my $0.02
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Innuos Statement Server
UberBUSS