Author Topic: Fritz Carrera 7 BE or Ohm Walsh 2000 speakers  (Read 32404 times)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Fritz Carrera 7 BE or Ohm Walsh 2000 speakers
« on: October 14, 2019, 02:59:41 PM »
I’ve had my KEF LS 50s for maybe a year and it’s a fine speaker. It can handle high volume and is overall quite musical. I’ve been thinking of either adding 2 subs or getting a different speaker altogether.  If I use subs, then we’re talking AC outlets and more connecting wire or wireless transmitters. Seems I have enough wires visible already in my living room. There’s also a bit of harshness sometimes on violins, trumpets and vocals, especially female. I’m not sure it’s the LS 50s or something else. Some of the recordings are on good labels.

As to new speakers, I’ve been reading many reviews, searching on YouTube etc. The Fritz speaker comes up and gets excellent reviews. The bass response is down to 37 Hz and that’s enough for me. Each cabinet weighs only 30 lbs.

The other interesting speaker is the Ohm Walsh 2000. It’s a floorstander weighing in at 53 lbs each and measures about 10”x10”x40. It has a driver that fires down and a tweeter that fires slightly up. Bass response is down to 32 hz. It’s interesting because I had the omnidirectional Shahinian Diapasons years ago. There’s not enough info and the reviews aren’t as detailed as I’d like on the Ohms. My concerns are it’s 23 lbs heavier than the Fritz and I wonder if it can match the Fritz as to retrieval of information and musicality. Ohm is located in Brooklyn.
Has anyone heard the Ohm 2000s? Comments are welcome. Budget is about $3,000.
Nick
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 09:48:57 PM by Nick B »
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Fritz Carrera 7 BE or Ohm Walsh 2000 speakers
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 03:23:34 PM »
More importantly let's talk about what kind of sound you want. That's where to start.

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 03:25:33 PM »
It's been nearly forever ago that I first heard the Ohm A and Ohm F speakers and loved them- but that was 41years ago.  I heard the Fritz 7 about seven or eight years ago at a RMAF.  They were nearly universally loved... by every one but me.  Nothing wrong with them, but for me, nothing stood out.  I think Charles thinks highly of them. 
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 04:25:12 PM »
More importantly let's talk about what kind of sound you want. That's where to start.

Per your request  :thumb:

Very good at detail retrieval
Tight, defined bass into the 30s (That’s all I need)
Musical, not etched
Able to handle/move the speakers pretty much without assistance (I live alone in a retirement community)
Reasonably small footprint
Reasonably nice looking speakers (unlike my SP Techs)
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 04:41:01 PM »
It's been nearly forever ago that I first heard the Ohm A and Ohm F speakers and loved them- but that was 41years ago.  I heard the Fritz 7 about seven or eight years ago at a RMAF.  They were nearly universally loved... by every one but me.  Nothing wrong with them, but for me, nothing stood out.  I think Charles thinks highly of them.

I read a few comments about the Ohm F of years ago and the comments were quite favorable. The Fritz model that I’m speaking of has probably come out within the last two years. If I recall correctly, the previous model(s) had a different tweeter and were maybe a bit thin at times. The current Fritz has the 7” Revelator midrange/woofer from Scanspeak. I’ve read favorable comments about it. The current tweeter is beryliium and I know little about it. Yes, Charles likes it. I recall there were some favorable comments about Nolas, but they didn’t work in my room and my audio buddy agreed.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 09:50:13 PM by Nick B »
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Jack

• Certifiable
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 05:28:00 PM »
Nick

If your interest is in the Revelator woofer you have two choices in Fritz's lineup that are basically the same speaker with that driver in the same cabinet with the difference being either the Be tweeter or the Scan Speak Illuminator tweeter with the changes to the crossover changing the tweeter would require.  If you have a genuine interest in Fritz's speakers it is well worth it to give him a call and just talk to him but make your you set aside time because he loves to talk audio and gear of all types.  I have had a pair of Carrera Be's in house for just under a month and they work for me but the other option may work better for you.  He will be happy to let you try a pair for 30 days and if you don't like them then just pay the return shipping. Another option if you are trying to avoid subs is the Buchardt S-400.  The bass response out of that little box was truly amazing in my demo of them.
JVC QL-Y7 w/ Denon DL-301 Mk II
Vista Phono II
Jays Audio CDT3 Mk III
Supratek Cabernet
Kinki Studio EX-B7's
Holo Audio May KTE
Auralic Aries G1
Verity Otello
(2) Rythmik F12SE
TWL PC's
Audio Envy IC, PC, SC
Inakustik USB, I2S
PSA Stellar P3
Uberbuss

Offline Folsom

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 05:38:22 PM »
Welllll

I'm thinking these.

They aren't super heavy. You don't need subwoofers. They're made to be toe-tappers. And yet he's never made anything that isn't detailed. Bamberg is very smart guy, but seems to be able to have high levels of emotion attached.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 07:02:07 PM »
Welllll

I'm thinking these.

They aren't super heavy. You don't need subwoofers. They're made to be toe-tappers. And yet he's never made anything that isn't detailed. Bamberg is very smart guy, but seems to be able to have high levels of emotion attached.

I’ve done a lot of web searches, but just a handful of forums. Hadn’t heard of Bamberg before. The speaker you noted is 63 lbs....not so heavy if your young, but more than I’d like to handle at my age....  I’ll continue to review the site..Lack of reviews, customer and professional, is a concern.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline mresseguie

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 07:18:10 PM »
Jeremy,

I agree that Bamberg makes (made?) great speakers. However, I was under the impression that he stopped selling/building speakers a couple years ago.

Nick,

I got to hear Phil Bamberg’s 3 Series speakers at Axpona 2014. While really great sounding, they weren’t a fit for my listening room. I fell in love with his 5 Series speakers without even listening to them. I have wondered if Jim Salk’s Exotica 3 speakers were inspired by the Bamberg 3 or 5 speakers.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 07:54:11 PM by mresseguie »
Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2019, 08:07:53 PM »
Ohm was at CAF last year and I was very underwhelmed by their demo. They were not in a room but rather set up in the weird shaped open loft space. Not sure which models they were, but the were driven by a very plain vanilla receiver (I think they were trying to prove that you didn't need expensive electronics to drive them.)  The SQ sounded more like what you would expect to hear in a consumer big box store as opposed to a high end show. They also picked source material that was very artificially spectacular and not any well recorded demo music. It seemed to me like they just did not understand the kind of things audiophiles look for and set up the kind of demo they would use to wow people at Costco.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I was not very impresses with the speaker the showed, butI have a feeling that a big part of that was the lousy setup and presentation that they did.

Ohm will be displaying at CAF again this year (which is coming up in just 3 weeks). Hopefully it will be a better demo and I can give you some more accurate feedback when I return.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2019, 08:59:48 PM »
Jeremy,

I agree that Bamberg makes (made?) great speakers. However, I was under the impression that he stopped selling/building speakers a couple years ago.

Nick,

I got to hear Phil Bamberg’s 3 Series speakers at Axpona 2014. While really great sounding, they weren’t a fit for my listening room. I fell in love with his 5 Series speakers without even listening to them. I have wondered if Jim Salk’s Exotica 3 speakers were inspired by the Bamberg 3 or 5 speakers.

Thanks, Michael. I noted that on the Bamberg website there wasn’t a more recently dated comment/review past 2014. The Bamberg speakers are a bit too large/heavy for me and I also would have a concern about selling them.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Folsom

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2019, 09:03:02 PM »
I have no idea if he's not making stuff now. He's responsive to emails is my experience. He's also very well respected by people in the industry like Danny Richie. But whatever, they're too heavy.

tmazz are you talking about Ohm speakers?

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2019, 09:26:07 PM »
Nick, You already have a pair of KEF's so you know the good and the bad.  There is a pair of Soundfield SAM-1 for sale at AC at a very good price.  Personally, I think AJ in FL did a much better job with his crossover than KEF did with the same driver.  Don't know what they weigh, but I've not heard a Fritz or Harbeth type speaker that comes close to the realism and soundstage of the SAM-1.   I really wish I had a place for them.  They were by far the best sound under $2500 at a Lone Star Audio Fest several years back.  I don't remember any of the issues you mentioned with your 50's, and I Danny Richie and I spent a good 45 minutes in AJ's untreated room after hours. 
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2019, 09:31:47 PM »
Ohm was at CAF last year and I was very underwhelmed by their demo. They were not in a room but rather set up in the weird shaped open loft space. Not sure which models they were, but the were driven by a very plain vanilla receiver (I think they were trying to prove that you didn't need expensive electronics to drive them.)  The SQ sounded more like what you would expect to hear in a consumer big box store as opposed to a high end show. They also picked source material that was very artificially spectacular and not any well recorded demo music. It seemed to me like they just did not understand the kind of things audiophiles look for and set up the kind of demo they would use to wow people at Costco.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I was not very impresses with the speaker the showed, butI have a feeling that a big part of that was the lousy setup and presentation that they did.

Ohm will be displaying at CAF again this year (which is coming up in just 3 weeks). Hopefully it will be a better demo and I can give you some more accurate feedback when I return.

I appreciate your comments,..very helpful. I spoke briefly today with the Ohm owner, John. Nice guy. The Ohm 2000s got a rave review on YouTube from Z Reviews. That guy seems to know his stuff, but he often doesn’t mentioned his associated gear. So it’s wonderful that the 2000s can fill a room with sound, but as you say, what about the qualities that Audiophiles are interested in. When I listen to music, I’m always in my sweet spot in my favorite reclining chair. So I don’t really care if I’m able to get up and walk around and enjoy a wonderful presentation, because that’s never been my listening habit.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Jack

• Certifiable
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2019, 09:42:05 PM »
@SClark

So you heard a Fritz speaker once at an audio show seven or eight years ago and not even the model under discussion and that's enough for you two make two dismissive posts about his products?  If that's all you have to go on you don't know what his speakers really sound like and certainly not the model Nick was asking about. 
JVC QL-Y7 w/ Denon DL-301 Mk II
Vista Phono II
Jays Audio CDT3 Mk III
Supratek Cabernet
Kinki Studio EX-B7's
Holo Audio May KTE
Auralic Aries G1
Verity Otello
(2) Rythmik F12SE
TWL PC's
Audio Envy IC, PC, SC
Inakustik USB, I2S