Music Ward > Music Discussion

John Atkinson stepping down as Editor of Stereophile Magazine

<< < (2/4) > >>

steve:
I had not read a lot of the magazine, but from what I read I thought he attempted to correlate measurements to perception.

I mainly know him from the Stereophile Forum where we discussed things, and we caught several
nefarious individuals posting obvious false information to mislead individuals, including attempting to
sabotage a 5 year study involving 3 national medical organizations, numerous universities,
peer reviewed study/experiment etc.

Also, at one point, I was receiving emails from John and a scammer (who did not know I was
receiving the emails) who was attempting to leverage his $11,000 yearly advertising budget against
his permanent ban from the forum. John stuck to his principles, which I appreciated, even though he
lost that $11,000 revenue from this individual. I am sure he picked it up from another individual with
better ethics.

I did not know John that well, so please don't take my comments as correcting anyone elses opinion.
It was just my experience.

cheers
steve

Folsom:
I hope to simply believe change is good. That magazine needs a fresher-upper big time. Although ironically as a somewhat moral person I'm not sure it's best he's the first to go.

dBe:

--- Quote from: Folsom on February 11, 2020, 04:25:05 PM ---I hope to simply believe change is good. That magazine needs a fresher-upper big time. Although ironically as a somewhat moral person I'm not sure it's best he's the first to go.

--- End quote ---
:thumb:  Nomater my experience with JA he did much for the industry.

rollo:
  Nick I as well have a beef with JA over measurements of the Aqua Formula DAC. Many many sold and the buyers LOVE the sound. Same with Border Patrol DAC. Numerous units sold. Voicing is also an accepted means of music reproduction. IMHO that subject is the real reason. There have been complaints.  :roll:

charles

Nick B:

--- Quote from: rollo on February 12, 2020, 02:17:56 PM ---  Nick I as well have a beef with JA over measurements of the Aqua Formula DAC. Many many sold and the buyers LOVE the sound. Same with Border Patrol DAC. Numerous units sold. Voicing is also an accepted means of music reproduction. IMHO that subject is the real reason. There have been complaints.  :roll:

charles

--- End quote ---

Charles,
I had no idea that one of your favorite dacs measured bad. I’m fine with measurements, but ultimately how does the thing sound when it’s in my home. One of the guys here, maybe Doug, mentioned the detailed measurements that are done over at audiosciencereview and I do read some of the articles and check out the graphs. Fascinating stuff and nicely done.
Nick

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version