Author Topic: Audio Research DSi200 Integrated amp  (Read 7412 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Audio Research DSi200 Integrated amp
« on: December 17, 2009, 09:16:15 AM »

Phil

Re: Audio Research DSi200 Integrated amp
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 06:10:09 PM »
Energy star rated.  That is interesting.  

I wonder if part of the problem with such amps is the pollution they send back to the rest of the system, regardless of dedicated lines.  

I like the purity of the early "chip" amp I used for years, but it didn't seem to have the density of other topologies.  
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 06:56:30 PM by Phil »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 07:14:31 PM »
Supposedly this one has no "problems" like we're used to with other class D designs. But we shall see. AR is putting a lot on the line to bring out a class D if it's just more of the same.

Offline JLM

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 07:05:21 AM »
Don't confuse chip amps with class D (or class T) designs.

The first chip amp I tried (borrowed) was a DIY effort.  It had a terrible 60 Hz hum (even with separate power supply) and picked up a local FM station.  By far the worst amp I've ever found.

The DIY community is huge into chip amps.  They get very tweaky with the length of circuits (some below 10 mm) and associated components.  But purists love them for the simple circuits involved and their synergy with single driver speakers.  My Channel Island Audio VMB-1 40 watt monoblocks (no longer made) are chip amps that emphasize the design/size of the power supply. 

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 07:34:34 AM »
Chips are small, but they are not simple. They are full of parts on the inside of dubious quality. They meet a technical spec in a small package and need minimal support components, but sound quality is never as good as a discreet circuit of similar design, but considering the price, they can sound very good if the support circuit is well designed, like Peter Daniels' kits.

Offline JLM

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 04:38:35 AM »
Your right of course, chips themselves aren't simple.  OTOH how many tube guys use digital sources that are full of chips?

As usual good results boil down to proper design, parts, and execution.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 05:54:32 AM »
Well said JLM! The modern world is built on ICs, they are a miracle to be sure.  Audio circuits can benefit from discreet design if the designer is up to it.