Author Topic: Inexpensive integrated recommendations?  (Read 14049 times)

bacobits

Re: Inexpensive integrated recommendations?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2009, 06:59:53 PM »
You NY kids know Boris. Check out his offerings.
i84 ($760) and i34 ($980) tube integrated.
I have the i34. Both have great reviews listed on the Vista Audio site.

D
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 07:02:41 PM by bacobits »

Offline JLM

• Obsessively Audiophilic

shep

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2009, 10:09:01 AM »
I imagine the above suggestion is a very good one. Cambridge appear to be on a roll with their latest line-up.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2009, 01:35:57 PM »
Musical Fidelity A-1 used? Class A. A very nice amp. Not much power though. There are several versions, going back to the 80's and one recent.

Saw this ad on Agon this morning.
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1264299008&/Musical-Fidelity-A1-Class-A-in
This particular model is priced for closeout because it's already replaced with the new AMS35i but would be just the ticket if you can do with 36W. Pure Class A is ballsy and sooooo smooth.   It has remote and built in USB DAC. The only thing that bugs me is WHERE ARE THE HEAT SINKS?!!!!

http://www.musicalfidelity.com/downloads/archived-manuals/English/a1_int_3.pdf

Are you still there Dave?

shep

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2009, 01:42:33 PM »
That's the one BUY IT! the top and sides are the heat sink. It get's ouch! hot. I had the older model once upon a time. This is supposed to be much  better. VERY good amp. Nice catch Rich. These are collector items. Not cheap but probably the best integrated for Dave. Dave are you there??? we're working for you  :D
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 01:45:34 PM by shep »

djdube525

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2009, 08:52:10 AM »
I'm still here - stepped out for the holidays. Which until Santa has completed his list, checked it twice, and funded the family's gifts - I won't be springing for a toy too soon. I do appreciate the suggestions though!!! I definitely will be going through people's suggestion.

Question... would the following (in general - this one is sale pending) be a better alternative to the A1?

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1264021845&/musical-fidelity-A3.5-integrat
It seems to have a fair bit more power.

I'll peak into the Cambridge offerings as well.

Dave

shep

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2009, 09:04:13 AM »
Good question and really hard to answer! I doubt if it sounds as good as the A1 but if you need the power, go for it. MF have rarely made a bad amp and both are recent. IMHO  :D The seller of the A1 is a very reputable "store". You can't go wrong looking thru their stuff later it needs be. They have a big turnover so there will be other deals.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 09:06:40 AM by shep »

djdube525

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2009, 09:32:41 AM »
Yup - very familiar with Wally. I meant to add that as a plus for the A1. I'd consider him as a "fall back" position - purely from the point that he should have a decent offering at a reasonable price at several points in time over the year.