Author Topic: In wall speaker wire?  (Read 6525 times)

Mike L

In wall speaker wire?
« on: October 24, 2009, 08:53:31 PM »
Hello,

Anybody have any experiences with different in wall speaker wire?  I know, not likely something people a/b as once it is installed there really isn't any swapping...just curious of peoples' insight.  This would be for home theatre by the way.

Thanks,
Mike

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: In wall speaker wire?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 08:00:38 AM »
I have been very pleased with Belden's 'Brilliance' line.  This is low capacitance, indoor/outdoor/inwall and CL3 rated... and it sounds very good. :)  I used only 12ga in my applications, for my main speaker cables in a 2nd system, outdoor speakers, and all HT channels (in my primary HT system).

I tried the hard gray clad inwall cable (in 12ga) from Home Depot and thought it was 'just ok'.  I'm using it for bedroom and bathroom ceiling speakers... and a 2nd HT system.  Ha, I just realized I have 3 nice audio systems and 2 HT systems... I am a nutjob. 

Anyway, you can't go wrong with Belden for good value.  I've used Kimber's in wall a long time ago and it was very good also.. but wanted cheap this go around for all the long runs.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Mike L

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 02:41:19 PM »
Thanks Carl.

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 04:08:14 PM »
What price range are you trying to stay in?

The Analysis Plus Theater 2 wire was a favorite of mine for a while.  Good sound, didn't break the bank.  If you can find a dealer that bought a lot of it, they used to give volume discounts to dealers if you bought a bunch of full rolls of it at one time.  i did that and passed the savings on to my customers.  There are quite a few theaters in the local area that have this wire in it :)  Not super detailed.  But it doesn't really do anything wrong.  Pretty balanced sound.  Not super neutral in the sense that it has no character at all.  A little dull, but balanced..... which is what you want with theater sound as most soundtracks are recorded too hot...

JPS Labs makes an in-wall speaker wire that isn't quite up to the level of their regular speaker lines.  But it's close and it's not toooooo outrageously priced. 

Depending on the run you need to make, using regular cables that haven't had CL3 approval certification tests run inside a conduit you stuff in the wall is potentially a possibility?  I've done that a few times for some customers that wanted better stuff than typical inwall brands and were concerned about the certifications.

I personally have run a couple longer lengths of JPS Labs UltraConductor2 speaker wire for rear channels in my new place with great results.  I've heard the wire Carl references on his living room system and that system sounded pretty good... 
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Mike L

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 08:42:35 PM »
Thank you for your help.

I could run conduit in the front av wall for the center, and fronts...however, for the rear ceiling speakers I don`t think it would work.  I did not look up the jps wire but given what their stuff costs that is well over my budget for ht.  I am also using inwall and inceiling speakers so I am not too sure that the speakers would be worthy.

I have been trying to stay Canadian for ease of shipping and am not really able to find any of the wire that you gentlemen have suggested.

I probably need around 75 feet of wire and don't really want to go over $300....preferably $200.

Also, are there different levels of quality when it comes to speaker wall plates?  Any suggestions there as well?

Thanks again,
Mike

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 05:38:49 AM »
I decided to bypass wall plates and just run the wire directly to the speakers.. I left about 3-4' of cable bundled in each junction box. Then I got plates with a single, small square hole and threaded the cable through it.. Looks neat. 

If I change the speaker locations dramatically, I'll need to get wall plates... which I might.  I was just going to get whatever Parts Express offers..

-C

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 06:12:47 AM »
Drill a hole in a plastic face plate just big enough for the wire. Use a new work junction box if not one there already.  Paint the wire to match the wall if desired.

Don't know where to find mid level audiophile inwall speaker wire in Canada. I think anything you would think of as something a little special would just be a repackaging of home store reel wire.  You can always buy that from H depot.  I got some at htd.com for a very good price. But they are US based. Just make sure it is plenum rated.  JPS is the only one I would spend extra for.   I can't find the price list on their website, but I remember that it wasn't too crazy.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 06:15:31 AM »
Oh, Canada!.. Talk to John at BlackSandAudio.ca.. He's your hookup in the North!
-C

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 06:34:41 AM »
JPS is the only one I would spend extra for.   I can't find the price list on their website, but I remember that it wasn't too crazy.

http://www.jpslabs.com/PDF/JPS_Labs_2009.pdf

Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline richidoo

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 06:39:23 AM »
Thanks Shane, I'll save it this time.

JPS Pricelist
JPS Price List
http://www.jpslabs.com/PDF/JPS_Labs_2009.pdf

Now I can find it with AN search ;)

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 07:55:35 AM »
When I was running wire for my outdoor speakers I went with the Home Depot extension cord approach. Weather proof and sufficient for outdoor speakers, where the fidelity doesn't matter so much. Cheap too (like me).
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 09:31:57 AM »
Home depot also sells bulk inwall speaker wire, 16ga two conductor black and red. The important thing is to have plenum rated outer jacket.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 10:31:00 AM »
HD's plenum-coated wire is gray, with one black and one red insulated wire inside.. It comes in 2 or 3 gauges.  I have it in 12ga.  It's the one I thought was 'just ok'.. They use thick strands of copper, which makes the wire stiff and somewhat easier to pull, especially since the plenum is like a hard shiny plastic. 
-C

Mike L

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 01:24:21 PM »
I have used the hd inwall wire before on a sub.  I am pretty sure it was 12 gauge and yes quite stiff.  However, I remember it being green.

I like the idea of bypassing any wall plate and just direct wire it with some quality connectors.  One less connector in the signal path.  I think I will go this route.  Thanks.

I don't think John deals in speaker wire.  My dealer however makes speaker cables.  I never really thought of that as he is more of a 2 channel guy and his stuff is kind of pricey for ht, but I may contact him and see if he can do anything as he always treats me first class.  I could use standard wire run through conduit for the front end and inwall for the rears.

I also found some Canadian sources now as well for:

Belden 1312A, Belden 5T00UP and Belden 5000UE

http://www.marketworks.com/storefrontprofiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sfid=78796&c=297007&i=248413659

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_703144125I/AudioQuest-FLX-14-4-4-Conductor-14-Gauge-In-Wall-Speaker-Cable-125-feet.html?search=in+wall+wire&ssi=0&tp=1432

Thanks for all the help.

Regards,
Mike