Author Topic: Grover SX?  (Read 23273 times)

HumanMedia

Re: Grover SX?
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 06:19:01 AM »
I should probably give it a bit more time to settle but so far I think that the SX is the best of the S series, if not all of the Grover interconnects that I have tried. It's not perfect in all areas, but the bass and midrange are excellent. It's one weak point is the lower treble whch is a bit 'tizzy' and forward. I think that the lower treble of the SC was cleaner although way more emphasized. The 'tizziness' started with the SCdot and is still here in the SX to lesser degree. I wonder what a cross between the SX and SC would be like?

Anyway top marks to to the SX.
Just make sure to give it lots of burn in.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009, 06:37:05 AM »
Isn't line-level (interconnects) DC and speaker cables AC?

All music signals are AC.  The only DC in a stereo system is the power supply rails in an amplifier, which are then oscillated into music by the gain stages.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2009, 11:17:50 AM »
Isn't line-level (interconnects) DC and speaker cables AC?

All music signals are AC.  The only DC in a stereo system is the power supply rails in an amplifier, which are then oscillated into music by the gain stages.

As Maggie once said "Gimmie the current baby" Da juice I need da juice.  :beer:

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

shep

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2009, 01:30:27 AM »
LOTS of time to burn in! I was reluctant to say more, after my initial enthusiasm and subsequent let-down.
Now I'm happy to say that I re-concur that this is Grover's best effort to date. Not much else to add to my initial impressions. On another note (pun intended) I have ordered an ic and a set of speaker cables from John of CoolCables. He has been a real pleaure to work with, as others have expressed. I will have lots more to say about this in the future, when they arrive in my malebox!

Offline richidoo

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2009, 11:16:12 AM »
Really glad the Grovers are working out for you Shep!

Edit: forgot to type "glad"
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 12:34:19 PM by richidoo »

shep

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2009, 11:51:25 AM »
Interest in Grover's work seems to have dried up  :roll: Well having been thru 4 versions the interconnects, I sort of feel I aught to at least have a go at describing what he's done this last time. Yeah I know...describing cables is a bit like talking about cows in a field! unless there's one that really stands out and gives the best milk. So....like I said: at first the SX's were great and then they were awful and then, over a period of around 100 hours + they came back. I would say they are now settled. Strangely they are less impressive but more musical than at first. Having said that, I moved to another place, with much better acoustics, which obviously plays a role. I had an audiophile friend in to confirm my impressions. Where as Grover's earlier cables tended to be analytical, detailed and just a bit dry and ultimately rather unsatisfying, this time he's taken another direction and these latest are quite romantic in delivery. Part of this I attribute to them being tilted downward towards the mid-bass and slightly recessed in the treble. They are warmer, richer and fuller. Sound-staging is hard to judge in a new space but I noticed improved image height. They compliment my ICE amp nicely in fact, although I could wish for more treble extension. So, I will not go on endlessly except to say that Grover clearly tries out different configurations and whatever he did this time hits the mark very well. I would not hesitate to recommend these to anyone looking for a better-than-good, inexpensive cable. The only qualification being that it should be understood and stated that the run-in period can be quite dramatic in ups and downs.
Voila pour moi

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2009, 02:27:20 PM »
Shep,  your observations are very similar to mine with regard to the SX.   I decided to just give the SX some time to break in before I tried comparing it to the SC. again, particularly since I only use the RCA ICs on my vinyl rig.  Upon short critical listening, the detail, clarity and articulation of the SC definitely grabs my attention playing a bit to left-brain nervosa. The SX, however, seems to convey a more relaxed and musical presentation which allows me to turn off the left-brain and simply enjoy the music.  The bright and occasionally edgy quality of the SC. is diminished with the SX and I'm much more prone to just sit and enjoy the performance and do so over a longer period of time.

shep

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2009, 12:56:30 AM »
On the button! It's both useful and comforting (this is middle-age talking  :D) to have one's impressions confirmed. I also try and use the left!right brain analogy when listening critically. It's hard though since they don't always want to cooperate! I'm using the ic's between cdp and amp. Don't know if that will make some difference. I much prefer listening to music than the endless monologue coming form the other side. 

Offline richidoo

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2009, 05:42:56 AM »
What's the new place like shep? No more stone walls?

Offline rlmacklin

• Certifiable
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2009, 07:32:53 AM »
Grover confirmed to me by e-mail 9/23 that "shep" has the Grover SX ICs incorporating aluminum and non-teflon dielectric.

The Grover SX ICs at the North Carolina G2G where compared to JPS SC3 ICs were with the teflon dielectric and no aluminum incorporated.

Grover sent me some Grover SX ICs with the new non-teflon dielectric, but before incorporation of aluminum, along with Grover SX speaker cables which had no teflon but did incorporate aluminum.

Grover e-mailed yesterday he is busy right now filling orders for the SX speaker cables with aluminum.
He is supposed to send me for audition 2 pr. SX ICs with non-teflon dielectric and aluminum incorporated...

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2009, 09:07:34 AM »
Hmmm, interesting.... I wasn't aware there were two versions of the SX but Grover confirmed that I do have the SX with aluminum and non-teflon dielectric which is different from the early prototype version that Ken and Rich listened to.

shep

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2009, 09:21:36 AM »
What's the new place like shep? No more stone walls?
I'll send some pics to the gallery. No more stone walls but a nice slab of concrete, tiled and poured on bedrock. Makes for a nice bass!

AcidJazz

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2009, 09:18:15 PM »
Received my two pairs a couple days ago, one pair is in CD>pre. Since I biamp that's the best place for me to guage differences. Will report back in a week or so how it compares to the earlier version and whatever cables I have around.
So far its sounding very good.  :thumb:

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2009, 11:14:47 AM »
Directional wires make me giggle.......

AcidJazz

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2009, 08:35:12 PM »
These new SX ICs doesn't have any "arrows" indicating a set direction. The old series did.