Author Topic: Interface for dspNexus 2x8 for phono input  (Read 2231 times)

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
Interface for dspNexus 2x8 for phono input
« on: November 01, 2023, 10:53:51 AM »
The EA dspNexus 2x8 has RIAA phono cartridge support with 40dB of gain with 47K Ohm load and capacitor load for most moving magnet cartridges.

Built an RCA unbalanced to XLR balanced connection box to use with a LINN Sondek LP12 given to me by a friends father.  Has an Audio-Technica cartidge installed.   

After checkout time to box it up for CAF2023.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Interface for dspNexus 2x8 for phono input
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2023, 01:11:09 PM »
The EA dspNexus 2x8 has RIAA phono cartridge support with 40dB of gain with 47K Ohm load and capacitor load for most moving magnet cartridges.

Built an RCA unbalanced to XLR balanced connection box to use with a LINN Sondek LP12 given to me by a friends father.  Has an Audio-Technica cartidge installed.   

After checkout time to box it up for CAF2023.

Rich,

Interesting regarding the phono as I think of you as a digital guy. I had an LP 12 in the late 80s and have owned a couple of AT cartridges. It should sound great!
Have fun!
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2023, 07:16:02 PM »
Nick,
This LP12 is from the late '70s.  I heard it in my friends dad's system back in college. 

He played Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon on it with his DCM Time Windows and system.  The first high end audio system I had heard. 

Eventually built us both his dad and I moving coil head amps that were battery powered for the Dynavector Ruby cartridges we both bought. 

Fun times!

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2023, 03:36:15 PM »
Nick,
This LP12 is from the late '70s.  I heard it in my friends dad's system back in college. 

He played Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon on it with his DCM Time Windows and system.  The first high end audio system I had heard. 

Eventually built us both his dad and I moving coil head amps that were battery powered for the Dynavector Ruby cartridges we both bought. 

Fun times!

Rich,

I had no idea the Linn tables went back to the 70s. I bought mine about 1988. It was really a good sounding table. Had it a few years and then got a Basis Ovation that I kept for many years.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2023, 06:37:39 PM »
Nick,

Fun times!
Urban legend spread by my friend Klaus Whitacre that was with DCM when they started and then became John Bau's (Spica) right hand man. 

The company's principles got together one night, smoked a lot of dope and decided to name the company DCM:
Dope Company of Michigan.  Of course we were really stoned that day almost 40 years ago... 😵‍💫
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2023, 07:21:09 PM »
Nick,

Fun times!
Urban legend spread by my friend Klaus Whitacre that was with DCM when they started and then became John Bau's (Spica) right hand man. 

The company's principles got together one night, smoked a lot of dope and decided to name the company DCM:
Dope Company of Michigan.  Of course we were really stoned that day almost 40 years ago... 😵‍💫

Huh?!?  Musicians smoking dope 😳 Who wouldda thought that 😂
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2023, 05:06:07 AM »
Nick,

Fun times!

Dave,
Well that explains a lot! :)
Rich

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2023, 08:37:54 AM »
The Phono Interface box is connected to the Oracle Delphi MKI modified turntable to the dspNexus 2x8 and working. 

The box has 4 grounding modes, so will also work with the LINN Sondek LP12 going to CAF2023.

Last checks are happening today before boxing up the CAF system for the demo room.