Author Topic: refinish anodized aluminum faceplate?  (Read 8114 times)

Offline malloy

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • no grave concern for repercussion
refinish anodized aluminum faceplate?
« on: April 12, 2021, 09:33:53 PM »
I'm trying to cover up some deep scratches on my amp's faceplate.

It is brushed black anodized aluminum, but more of a bluish tint.

A sharpie covers it up, but the finish is too shiny.

I tried the Birchwood Casey Super Black Touch-Up Pen at $6. Not good, the sharpie was better.

My next experiment will probably be the Birchwood Casey aluminum black chemical solution that's used by gunsmiths for pistols and other aluminum parts. Anyone try this before on any st4ereo component's faceplate?  My gut says to leave it alone before I do any more damage. :rofl:

Paul

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: refinish anodized aluminum faceplate?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 10:18:09 PM »
Paul,
My brother in law does anodizing and would probably do it for free. But the silkscreening lettering would be another issue. If you want me to ask him, let me know
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline malloy

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 10:53:12 PM »
Hi Nick,

Oh wow. Thanks for the offer. Probably too much of a hassle, but good to know that the service is out there, if needed. And you are right, the silk screening would be a problem, as is removing the faceplate. I just had this serviced! It's just a couple of very small scratches that I've almost forgotten about. Too much time on my hands right now and I tend to nitpick everything.

I think I'll use this as an excuse to buy new gear. "Aww shucks, would you look at that scratch! I can't listen to this, I need a new amp!"  :lol:

Paul

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 11:00:43 PM »
Hi Nick,

Oh wow. Thanks for the offer. Probably too much of a hassle, but good to know that the service is out there, if needed. And you are right, the silk screening would be a problem, as is removing the faceplate. I just had this serviced! It's just a couple of very small scratches that I've almost forgotten about. Too much time on my hands right now and I tend to nitpick everything.

I think I'll use this as an excuse to buy new gear. "Aww shucks, would you look at that scratch! I can't listen to this, I need a new amp!"  :lol:

Paul

Ha Paul!
That’s really not a great excuse, but the important thing is will your wife think it is :)
Is is the Plinius you’re talking about?
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 08:30:54 AM »
I had a problem like that on my Classe Twenty five. Got it used and it had a few nicks and scratches on it.  Like you I tried filling them with a sharpie and it didn’t match perfectly, but at lest you didn’t see the stark contrast of the bare metal against the black. It was annoying and I could find the spots when I looked at them, but then Italians that when I stepped back a few feet to the point where it would be looked at from 99% of the time, you really did not notice it much at all. Especially if you did not not where to look for it.

Of course the other thing was that being a high power amp with a lot of heat sinks, the heat had shifted the color of the anidizing on the fins such as the were not longer a perfect color match to the front panel, which had not been subject to the same heat load. So energy I’d i had the front panel refinished it would not
have matched the rest of the amp.

The final solution? Come to grips with the fact that it was a piece of audio gear and not art and as long as it sounded great that’s what really mattered.

And it didn’t hurt to remember that those small visual imperfections saved me several hundred dollars of the used price, allowing me to get a much better sounding amp for my audio bucks, and I would make that traded off any day.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 08:53:25 AM »
I had a problem like that on my Classe Twenty five. Got it used and it had a few nicks and scratches on it.  Like you I tried filling them with a sharpie and it didn’t match perfectly, but at lest you didn’t see the stark contrast of the bare metal against the black. It was annoying and I could find the spots when I looked at them, but then Italians that when I stepped back a few feet to the point where it would be looked at from 99% of the time, you really did not notice it much at all. Especially if you did not not where to look for it.

Of course the other thing was that being a high power amp with a lot of heat sinks, the heat had shifted the color of the anidizing on the fins such as the were not longer a perfect color match to the front panel, which had not been subject to the same heat load. So energy I’d i had the front panel refinished it would not
have matched the rest of the amp.

The final solution? Come to grips with the fact that it was a piece of audio gear and not art and as long as it sounded great that’s what really mattered.

And it didn’t hurt to remember that those small visual imperfections saved me several hundred dollars of the used price, allowing me to get a much better sounding amp for my audio bucks, and I would make that traded off any day.

I have been very fortunate in that the used gear I’ve purchased, like my border patrol dac and that AVA SET 120 I just purchased, have been perfect cosmetically. All of my gear does sit in my living room in the midst of some nice furniture and a few pieces of art, so I do like things to blend in and look good. I still am a big fan of the black and gold look, but nowadays silver and black works just fine because it sounds so darned good
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline malloy

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 09:22:03 PM »

Ha Paul!
That’s really not a great excuse, but the important thing is will your wife think it is :)

Yes it's the Plinius. I can lay it on really thick, but I not enough to convince the wife to agree to spend coin for just a cosmetic problem.  :lol:

Offline malloy

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 09:24:31 PM »

This is so true!

Actually, listening with dimmed lights also helps.  :D

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 09:51:37 PM »

Ha Paul!

Yes it's the Plinius. I can lay it on really thick, but I not enough to convince the wife to agree to spend coin for just a cosmetic problem.  :lol:

I met a guy in an audio store once who told me that one of  his biggest fears was that after he died his wife would sell off all of his audio gear for the price that he told her he paid for it.   :rofl:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline malloy

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2021, 10:03:07 PM »

I met a guy in an audio store once who told me that one of  his biggest fears was that after he died his wife would sell off all of his audio gear for the price that he told her he paid for it.   :rofl:

Hahahaha!!! :rofl: :duh

I've actually been thinking of something similar and been thinking of leaving a 'last audio equipment will and testament'.  To my beloved niece, I bequeath my trusted Sonus Faber Cremonas and AudioNote gear; and to my most hated nephew I leave pieces of my 1980s monster cables and Radioshack cd player...

All my questionable pop and rock cd purchases I'll be buried with like a Pharaoh and his cats.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2021, 08:53:37 AM »

Hahahaha!!! :rofl: :duh

I've actually been thinking of something similar and been thinking of leaving a 'last audio equipment will and testament'.  To my beloved niece, I bequeath my trusted Sonus Faber Cremonas and AudioNote gear; and to my most hated nephew I leave pieces of my 1980s monster cables and Radioshack cd player...

All my questionable pop and rock cd purchases I'll be buried with like a Pharaoh and his cats.

Paul,
You are related to Ramses the Great?? Somewhere in my living trust I mention my audio gear, but who knows how it’ll get disposed of by my nephews. Hopefully not via Craig’s list
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2021, 12:28:59 PM »
  What about adding a veneer instead ?

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2021, 10:30:08 PM »
Check this out:

https://www.frontpanelexpress.com/

They do great work and aren't very expensive...
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline malloy

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2021, 09:12:46 PM »

Paul,
You are related to Ramses the Great?? Somewhere in my living trust I mention my audio gear, but who knows how it’ll get disposed of by my nephews. Hopefully not via Craig’s list
Nick

Hey Nick, probably more related to his Hollywood counterpart, Yul Brynner. Hah!

Offline malloy

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2021, 09:13:15 PM »
Check this out:

https://www.frontpanelexpress.com/

They do great work and aren't very expensive...

Thanks, Dave. I'll check this out.