Author Topic: Fritz Carrera 7 BE or Ohm Walsh 2000 speakers  (Read 32657 times)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Fritz Carrera 7 BE or Ohm Walsh 2000 speakers
« Reply #90 on: December 14, 2019, 03:14:10 PM »
Nick

I think Michael just bought one to take to Taiwan.

:thumb: :thumb:
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #91 on: December 14, 2019, 03:18:50 PM »
Nick

Jack is correct. My Sabaj D5 is still burning in, but it's got over a hundred hours on it now. I haven't sat down for a serious listening session yet (and won't be able to for another 4 or 5 days minimum), but it sounds pretty darned nice. I don't have either of my NOS DACs here for comparison purposes, so I won't be able to make comparisons. I do expect to visit at least two local audiophiles in January who love to compare components, and I will keep you abreast of their findings.

[I have not listened critically at this point, and my listening room is a largely untreated concrete box, so take this into account.]

Acoustic instruments sound correct; both male and female voices sound how I like them to sound. There was some glare and brightness in the first 24 hours, but that seems to have disappeared. I'll play some poorly recorded material (70s/80s rock) that sounds horrible on my main system in Oregon in order to satisfy my more masochistic tendencies.

My system in Taiwan consists of MacBook Pro streaming Tidal or the CDs I burned onto the HD => Sabaj D5 => IceEdge 1200as2 => Fritz LS/5-R with an all TWL loom. My USB cord is an inexpensive cord that came with the Sabaj D5. All components are plugged into Dave's DigiBUSS. I have a Super Duper MiniBUSS that Dave sold to me, which is in another room. I'll eventually plug it into this system. The Sabaj D5 is connected to the amp via Pete's XLR cables.

Anyway, so far so good. Considering it cost me just $429 delivered(!) this is one impressive sounding DAC. It renders my aging Gustard X20u ESS 9018 DAC useless. Who would be silly enough to buy it from me with the D5 as competition? Perhaps, I can one day reuse the case for a DIY project.

Michael

How did you find out about the Sabaj, Michael? Nothing like getting a bargain like Doug.  I’ve been looking into the newer version of my nos Border Patrol SE. But it’s up in the air because Jensen is discontinuing making capacitors.
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline mresseguie

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #92 on: December 14, 2019, 05:25:25 PM »
Nick

Jack is correct. My Sabaj D5 is still burning in, but it's got over a hundred hours on it now. I haven't sat down for a serious listening session yet (and won't be able to for another 4 or 5 days minimum), but it sounds pretty darned nice. I don't have either of my NOS DACs here for comparison purposes, so I won't be able to make comparisons. I do expect to visit at least two local audiophiles in January who love to compare components, and I will keep you abreast of their findings.

[I have not listened critically at this point, and my listening room is a largely untreated concrete box, so take this into account.]

Acoustic instruments sound correct; both male and female voices sound how I like them to sound. There was some glare and brightness in the first 24 hours, but that seems to have disappeared. I'll play some poorly recorded material (70s/80s rock) that sounds horrible on my main system in Oregon in order to satisfy my more masochistic tendencies.

My system in Taiwan consists of MacBook Pro streaming Tidal or the CDs I burned onto the HD => Sabaj D5 => IceEdge 1200as2 => Fritz LS/5-R with an all TWL loom. My USB cord is an inexpensive cord that came with the Sabaj D5. All components are plugged into Dave's DigiBUSS. I have a Super Duper MiniBUSS that Dave sold to me, which is in another room. I'll eventually plug it into this system. The Sabaj D5 is connected to the amp via Pete's XLR cables.

Anyway, so far so good. Considering it cost me just $429 delivered(!) this is one impressive sounding DAC. It renders my aging Gustard X20u ESS 9018 DAC useless. Who would be silly enough to buy it from me with the D5 as competition? Perhaps, I can one day reuse the case for a DIY project.

Michael

How did you find out about the Sabaj, Michael? Nothing like getting a bargain like Doug.  I’ve been looking into the newer version of my nos Border Patrol SE. But it’s up in the air because Jensen is discontinuing making capacitors.
Nick

Howdy, Nick.

Wushuliu is an amazing resource. He keeps abreast of what's new and interesting; often buys what appear to be the choicest components, and sometimes mods them once he's used them for a spell. I first learned of the D5 from his posts. Perhaps, he can be persuaded to start posting over here?

This is the second time I've read a post about Jensen caps' coming demise. Do you mean the Border Patrol guy may stop selling the DAC because Jensen will cease production, or do you mean your upgrade may not go forward because you only want Jensen caps, but cannot because production has ceased? To my <not always correct> imagination, Jensen's demise means it's simply time to find another manufacturer such as Miflex, Jupiter, Danny Richie's new Cu caps, etc.

I really need to get off my ass and learn how to make quality solder connections (as opposed to the crappy ones I've mangled in the recent past). I want to play with different caps and I want to try my hand at customizable DIY gear.

Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #93 on: December 14, 2019, 05:59:59 PM »
Nick

Michael

Nick

Howdy, Nick.

Wushuliu is an amazing resource. He keeps abreast of what's new and interesting; often buys what appear to be the choicest components, and sometimes mods them once he's used them for a spell. I first learned of the D5 from his posts. Perhaps, he can be persuaded to start posting over here?

This is the second time I've read a post about Jensen caps' coming demise. Do you mean the Border Patrol guy may stop selling the DAC because Jensen will cease production, or do you mean your upgrade may not go forward because you only want Jensen caps, but cannot because production has ceased? To my <not always correct> imagination, Jensen's demise means it's simply time to find another manufacturer such as Miflex, Jupiter, Danny Richie's new Cu caps, etc.

I really need to get off my ass and learn how to make quality solder connections (as opposed to the crappy ones I've mangled in the recent past). I want to play with different caps and I want to try my hand at customizable DIY gear.

Michael,
I just got more information via the Parts Express website. Yes, Jensen is ceasing operation after year end, but Dueland has bought their machinery. I’ve emailed BPs Gary Dews a few times and spoken with him once. He has some Jensen caps (I have no idea how many), but is saving those for his new dac, not for upgrades. He’s also ordered more of those caps, but the status on that is unknown.
He’s also auditioning other caps as well based on sound and size. He promised me an update when he knows more, but I haven’t anything. I have the SE dac and his newest is the SEi.

https://www.partsconnexion.com/capacitors-film-jensen-copper-foil.html
http://borderpatrol.net/DAC.htm

Regarding soldering, you’re way ahead of me. I probably haven’t soldered in 10 years and don’t have much interest right now.
Nick

JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #94 on: December 15, 2019, 11:13:15 AM »
  Nick stick with BP DAC. Or upgrade entirely. IMHO the BP SE DAC is excellent for the money. It approaches but no cigar the future proof Aqua Acoustic La Scala optologic ladder DAC at 8K. Most other DACs will take you sideways not upward.
  The BP also mated extremely well with all Innuos servers which you may consider at a later date. As far a subs are concerned for Fritz, unless you like organ music not required. However some may benefit from the sub in space and staging. If so run sub up to Fritz meaning crossover just below -3db point of speaker. Then adjust as required for room.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #95 on: December 15, 2019, 11:32:06 AM »
Michael,
I just got more information via the Parts Express website. Yes, Jensen is ceasing operation after year end, but Dueland has bought their machinery. I’ve emailed BPs Gary Dews a few times and spoken with him once. He has some Jensen caps (I have no idea how many), but is saving those for his new dac, not for upgrades. He’s also ordered more of those caps, but the status on that is unknown.
He’s also auditioning other caps as well based on sound and size. He promised me an update when he knows more, but I haven’t anything. I have the SE dac and his newest is the SEi.

https://www.partsconnexion.com/capacitors-film-jensen-copper-foil.html
http://borderpatrol.net/DAC.htm

Regarding soldering, you’re way ahead of me. I probably haven’t soldered in 10 years and don’t have much interest right now.
Nick
i investigated caps when i bought boards to build one of folsom's amps.  (which are still sitting here...  :roll: )  anyway, i think there are a few caps out there worth investigating that aren't stupid money, like the top duelands.  (dueland bought the jensen machinery for one of two reasons, imo - jack up the price, or mothball it so no one else makes them anymore.)

if i ever build out the folsom amps, i will be using audyn true copper or true copper max caps.

here's a good time waster:
http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html
(graphed rankings):
http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/download/Humble%20Homemade%20Hifi_Cap-Test-Ratings.pdf

doug s.

Very good sites. Thanks much  :thumb:
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #96 on: December 15, 2019, 11:41:42 AM »
  Nick stick with BP DAC. Or upgrade entirely. IMHO the BP SE DAC is excellent for the money. It approaches but no cigar the future proof Aqua Acoustic La Scala optologic ladder DAC at 8K. Most other DACs will take you sideways not upward.
  The BP also mated extremely well with all Innuos servers which you may consider at a later date. As far a subs are concerned for Fritz, unless you like organ music not required. However some may benefit from the sub in space and staging. If so run sub up to Fritz meaning crossover just below -3db point of speaker. Then adjust as required for room.

charles

Charles,
I’m happy with the Border Patrol SE dac, but a cap upgrade and maybe trying a Brimar tube would certainly be interesting. The sound continues to improve and am enjoying Dave’s Uber Puerto. Your ears are spot on as to the sound of the Audio Hungary 204 preamp and the Fritz Carreras and I appreciate your recommendations. I have no intention to add a sub. I just don’t need it for my current situation.
Thanks,
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #97 on: December 15, 2019, 12:49:44 PM »
   Nick, what type tube is used in DAC ? I have so many tubes maybe I can help.  Sub info was general info. Did not realize you had SE version. Yes cap upgrade is big. Do it.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #98 on: December 15, 2019, 01:04:05 PM »
   Nick, what type tube is used in DAC ? I have so many tubes maybe I can help.  Sub info was general info. Did not realize you had SE version. Yes cap upgrade is big. Do it.

charles

Charles, it’s an EZ80. I mentioned Brimar as that is/was Gary Dews favorite.
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Folsom

« Reply #99 on: December 15, 2019, 05:57:37 PM »
Doug, these things make the sound different, but they don't improve the measurements typically.

Higher grade DACs definitely do a lot more to keep noise down from the power supplies. Also they can have very different designs for filters, it's possible, but they don't necessarily do that.

Digital is a frontier most people want improvements in, the sound of the studio is often something people are trying to avoid.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #100 on: December 15, 2019, 06:21:21 PM »
Yes, power supply application. It would only be a $30 investment. For breaking in my Fritzes, I’ve played the dac without the tube on.  Sometimes, I’ll turn it on when I’m listening for fun. Can I describe the difference right now...ummm...no. I’ve not done the critical, often tedious, hyper listening. I must say I’m at a new reference level for me, in spite of my gripes about some vocal harshness. There’s lots of improvement to still be had  :thumb:

i agree w/a cap upgrade being a worthwhile consideration.  but re: the tube, isn't it only for the power supply, and not actually in the audio signal path?  if so, i'm curious how much difference that would make...

doug s.
Charles,
I’m happy with the Border Patrol SE dac, but a cap upgrade and maybe trying a Brimar tube would certainly be interesting. The sound continues to improve and am enjoying Dave’s Uber Puerto. Your ears are spot on as to the sound of the Audio Hungary 204 preamp and the Fritz Carreras and I appreciate your recommendations. I have no intention to add a sub. I just don’t need it for my current situation.
Thanks,
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Brap

« Reply #101 on: December 18, 2019, 09:23:44 AM »
Loving the Carrera's. New streamer is sweet.  Love Qobuz thus far.
Fritz Carrera 7 Be
VTA ST-70
Parasound Halo P5
Oppo 105
Rega P3
Ortofon Quintet Bronze
Cambridge CXN streamer
Teac 3340S
Anticables 3.1
Masterbuilt reference/Kimber Cable IC

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #102 on: December 18, 2019, 11:58:52 AM »
Loving the Carrera's. New streamer is sweet.  Love Qobuz thus far.

Thanks for the great pic! It’s wonderful to see a reel to reel. As to the Carreras, in my system they really opened up at 150 hours. I’m close to having 250 on them. Glad you like that Cambridge as well. Enjoy!
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Brap

« Reply #103 on: December 18, 2019, 12:02:27 PM »
thanks -- yup still love to 4 track RtoR. I am interested to record from my pre-amp out streaming 24 / 192 and compare the RtoR sound versus streamer just for fun.
Fritz Carrera 7 Be
VTA ST-70
Parasound Halo P5
Oppo 105
Rega P3
Ortofon Quintet Bronze
Cambridge CXN streamer
Teac 3340S
Anticables 3.1
Masterbuilt reference/Kimber Cable IC

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #104 on: January 03, 2020, 12:04:41 AM »
thanks -- yup still love to 4 track RtoR. I am interested to record from my pre-amp out streaming 24 / 192 and compare the RtoR sound versus streamer just for fun.

I’m curious how your tiny tot Fritzes are breaking in. I’m past 250 hours and am no longer keeping track. Fritz called me a couple of weeks ago and I mentioned that our forum has another member who bought the Carreras and he mentioned your name.
Hope you’re as happy with them as I am :thumb:
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz