Author Topic: PC vs. Interconnect vs. speaker cable  (Read 3459 times)

Mike L

PC vs. Interconnect vs. speaker cable
« on: July 17, 2007, 12:19:12 PM »
Which do you think can have the most significant effect on how the system sounds?

I ask because I have been demoing some power cords here that have made a HUGE difference on my tube monoblocks (a pair with Oyaide ends and a pair with Acrolink ends). I also have a pair of Eichmann silver banana terminated speaker cables that did make a difference but the differences weren't as large.

Thanks,
Mike

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: PC vs. Interconnect vs. speaker cable
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 12:29:11 PM »
Unfortunately it all depends.  Any one of the 3 'could' make more of a difference than the others.  If your power delivery is the main drawback in your system, a new PC could make as much or more difference than an interconnect.  Plus, the type of changes are different for each of those types of cables.. AND on top of that, the combination of these various cords may yield better or worse changes.

Each cord is a separate variable and it'd be impossible to say which one would make the most difference in your system.  In MY system, Power cords and interconnects make more dramatic changes than speaker cables however, the speaker cables do something special that I can't put my finger on.... and it has to be right to enjoy it.

There's no definitive answer on this one..

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 05:25:00 PM »
I agree with Carlman, although I am leaning slightly more towards ICs and power cords as the top two since I haven't tried very many speaker wires, and no silver or silver plated copper speaker wires. 

Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 04:28:37 AM »
I'd agree.  If the power cord isn't getting good clean juice to the equipment, then it can't perform to its optimal.  The IC's are probably the most sensitive to change IMO as they're dealing with an extremely low level signal where any change or noise is proportionately larger.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 06:39:03 AM »
IMO, all will impact your sound. Whatever IC you choose, use that companies speaker cable as well. You may be quite surprised when all the cables are from the same Manf.
       Which one has the most affect? IMO its the speaker cables. The PC can change the sound as well ,but not as much as the speaker cable .
         However IMO the first upgrade should be the PC so you can get cleaner power to your components first. Then deciding on IC and Speaker cable should be easier.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.