Author Topic: I'm bent  (Read 4755 times)

Offline mca

• Certifiable
I'm bent
« on: May 05, 2007, 06:33:14 PM »
I just got my Mac C2200 preamp today. It's a real neat unit and all, but they pulled a good one one me that has me pissed off!

One of the reasons I was excited about the C2200 is that it has a HT pass through function. I used this all the time when I had my Modwright preamp and it came in very handy to be able to combine my stereo and HT system.

After hooking the Mac up today, I tried for about an hour to program the pass through function. I could not figure it out and get it to cooperate. Finally, I called my local Mac dealer and they informed me this function only works in conjunction with a Mac HT preamplifier!

I could not find this information anywhere on the website or the instruction manual and told the sales guy this was pretty bogus on Mac's part. His only reply was that they had a couple of good deals on some Mac HT preamps and that would solve my problem.

THIS SUCKS   :?
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

WEEZ

I'm bent
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 07:04:06 PM »
I'm not entirely sure, but could you use the tape loop?

I've never been into HT, so I really have not a clue..... :?

WEEZ

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
I'm bent
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 08:52:06 PM »
Wow, that does suck.  I can't believe Mac would pull something like that.  If there are specific technologies at play like in a Theta or Meridian, I could understand it.  But, from my limited knowledge of the Mac piece, there's nothing special that would require that.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline Inscrutable

• Certifiable
I'm bent
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 02:10:05 AM »
All you need to do is calibrate your surround with the pre at a known repeatable volume position - say 12 o'clock - then return the pre to that position whenever you engage the processor.  Something of a hassle, but it works.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
I'm bent
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 04:11:52 AM »
But you're then feeding a pre with a pre, potential impedance issues, etc.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline Inscrutable

• Certifiable
I'm bent
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 02:57:02 PM »
Maybe so ... never had any problems myself, but YMMV

Not sure that many of those 'HT Bypasses' do any more than take the volume control out of the circuit anyway.

WEEZ

I'm bent
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 04:24:40 PM »
I think Inscrutable is correct...an external processor loop is really no different than a tape loop as far as I can tell. Simply a set of in/out jacks that bypass the active curcuits of the pre-amp. The burden is on the 'source' to drive both the pre-amp and the processor.

(I think :oops: )

WEEZ

Offline mca

• Certifiable
I'm bent
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 05:00:29 PM »
I did find out some interesting info from my local Mac salesman. If I set the C2200 volume to 80, it acts as a "pass through" and I am able to control all volume for movies with my HT receiver. Not as convenient as flipping a switch, but it works.

Now I need to ask them why the lights in my MC402 are a nice deep blueish color, but the lights in the C2200 are a pale aqua color. You would think that they could at least make them match    :?:
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: I'm bent
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 06:38:24 AM »
Good luck with the MAC. So when are getting the B&W speakers. They love Mac's ? Although I have heard some Mac"s cheat on their B&W's and go out with Paradigms. Who knew?

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: I'm bent
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 07:32:55 AM »
Rollo, mca has changed directions on this system... It's all sold from what I've seen in the classifieds.
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.