Author Topic: Digital amp and Preamp  (Read 8178 times)

Offline TopRound‎

• Certifiable
Digital amp and Preamp
« on: February 17, 2023, 04:32:17 AM »
Just a commentary..

I heard a very expensive digital amp and preamp, it was digital not class D, the amp and preamp were designed to work together via some type of single wire connection.

It sounded very good, nice tone big space and images, but after listening to several different tracks of different styles of music something I noticed was that everything sounded the same.
Different artists at different recording venues all started to come out sounding like it was part of the same recording.
My takeaway was that the digital processing was taking the signal and processing it in such a way that every signal that went thru that "filter" came out sounding very similar.
It wasn't bad sounding but after a while I started to get a little bored.

This is just something I noticed in this situation, perhaps a different system would sound different but in this case this was my takeaway.

It sort of started a way of thinking that kind of made me leery of DSP in speakers, does DSP do something similar to a signal that it affects it so much to alter it and re-imagine it in a different light than the original?

I don't have any answers, just more questions

System: Nothing....gave it all up, but building a few things for my kids...vinyl, tubes and Gan Fet!

Online HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
Re: Digital amp and Preamp
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2023, 05:30:12 AM »
TopRound,
Not all digital is created equal. 

I heard early Class D amps that were expensive and sounded very flat.  Have heard inexpensive DSP sound not so good. 

Modern offerings have come a long way and the new GaN technology Class D amps sound very good and follow what is in the recording. 

Modern DSP for speakers depends on who is doing the DSP.  Textbook DSP filters are not the best sounding styles and from my experience Linear Phase processing sucks for crossovers.  Modern DSP's use A/D's and D/A's with very good sounding filters and the filters for the crossovers use improved topologies that reduce filter distortion. 

I hope to take a system with these improvements to Lone Star Audio Fest in June 2023 to demo what is possible with new DSP Technolgy and GaN Class D amps.  Should be a fun show.

Offline TopRound‎

• Certifiable
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2023, 08:47:48 AM »
This was a little different
you could pair a tube pre with a class d amp and get very good results.
This was a digital amp and digital preamp, I think the whole thing was in the digital domain, then used dacs to try and sort it out.
I'm not saying it sounded bad, but rather it left such a stamp on the music that it altered it
sort of like having every part of you meal deep fried, in the end they all taste alike
System: Nothing....gave it all up, but building a few things for my kids...vinyl, tubes and Gan Fet!

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • All we need is music, sweet music
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2023, 09:17:06 AM »
........ it altered it
sort of like having every part of you meal deep fried, in the end they all taste alike

:rofl:
This made me smile.  :lol:  :thumb:

You have a way with words at times, Mike. :D
GoldenEar Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
http://halr.x10.mx/other.html

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Purity Audio Design
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2023, 10:19:26 AM »
Digital has come a long way. I remember some of the first to hit the market. Very expensive and only so-so sonically. The GaN stuff is amazing. I have some new modules coming in a couple weeks to start prototyping our new hybrid.
I do agree that Class D usually (to me anyway) can be a little stringent without tubes in there so where.
Design Engineer
Purity Audio Design www.PurityAudioDesign.com
Purity Foundation Streaming Pre, Foundation DAC, Purity Foundation Hybrid GaN 200, Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Classic, Sony SACD Player, Nakamichi tape deck,

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2023, 11:06:50 AM »
  Dryness and meatless would be my description of most class D. I prefer a hybrid design using a tubed input. At a minimum a tubed preamp with it
charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline TopRound‎

• Certifiable
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2023, 11:14:49 AM »
Some of the Gan Fet I have heard has been really nice, clean clear and colorful
Does anyone know of any Ganfet kits?
My son is in kit building phase right now

Online HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2023, 11:28:07 AM »
Orchard Audio has kit GaN Class D amps.  Leo is a good person to work with.

He is at the Florida Audio Expo this weekend.  Should be back next week after seeing his posts on FB.

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2023, 11:07:22 AM »
I'm wondering if the source recordings may have also had something to do with the homogeneity of the sound you were hearing from this system(?) Do you have any details on it? Any info on the tracks you were listening to?
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline TopRound‎

• Certifiable
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2023, 01:56:21 PM »
it was music on a hard drive, all sorts of music, different genres to show off the system
not jack johnson which has like 11 records and they all sound the same!

Offline orchardaudio

• Industry Participant
  • How do you like them apples?
    • Orchard Audio
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2023, 01:20:55 PM »
Hal, thanks for the shout out.

I believe I am currently the only manufacture selling GaN modules and kits. Let me know if you have any questions.

Leo