Author Topic: i just witnessed a Lightning storm inside a Teslovak KT88  (Read 4777 times)

Offline Bunky

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  :shock: i had a power tube let go today and thank god it did not damage anything except for my nerves  8-[  there was a bright blue Arc inside the tube from top to bottom. i switched back to my favorite and almost unobtainable 2nd generation Ei KT 90's until the Winged C 6550's get here from Chicago.thanks....WCW III
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 02:10:11 AM by Bunky »
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

WEEZ

Re: i just witnessed a Lightning storm inside a Teslovak KT88
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 04:06:13 PM »
Yikes.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 07:22:58 PM »
Ok, so where are the photos?  Sounds cool. ;)
Can you at least make a "artist's rendering" of the event? ha...

Seriously, glad your gear is in good shape...  and glad it happened when you were nearby, paying attention, etc.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline Bunky

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 06:40:01 AM »
Hey Carl,i have a picture that will be forever etched into my memory  :shock:
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

WEEZ

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 07:34:59 AM »
Did the fuse blow?

Offline Bunky

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 10:20:14 AM »
Did the fuse blow?
Yeah Weez, a few days before the Lightning storm effect took place ,i had just turned on the rig and the phone began to ring and as i picked up the phone i heard a loud pop! which was the fuse. the sound did not come from the speakers themselves but from my Audio rack. i ran over to the rack to see that the other tubes had stopped glowing except for the KT88 in the LV4 position which then took a little longer for its glow to disappear. i replaced the fuse and rebiased the amp and everything seemed fine for the next few days. i switched on the amp a few days later and the fuse blew again. this time when i replaced the fuse and turned on the amp the KT88 in the LV4 position looked like something that Tesla himself would have been experimenting with :duh it was really scary stuff and i turned off the amp as soon as i saw it and i was very lucky that no harm was done to it. thanks....WCW III
-- Frank Zappa