Author Topic: What are you listening to right now?  (Read 3028332 times)

jsaliga

Re: What are you listening to right now?
« Reply #6690 on: March 08, 2012, 07:43:05 AM »

Minty Prestige deep groove mono pressing.  RVG in the dead wax.  Great music and outstanding sound quality.

--Jerome

eleazar

« Reply #6691 on: March 09, 2012, 04:31:36 PM »

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #6692 on: March 09, 2012, 05:48:01 PM »
SINATRA: THE REPRISE YEARS
Compilation LP Box Set
Reprise (WEA) K-94003 [England]
Released: 1975
50 Tracks on 4 Records (with Booklet)

disk 4

"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #6693 on: March 09, 2012, 06:16:18 PM »

This is a great album. I love Arthur Honegger, this is one of my fav Honegger records. This is on the BIS label, always excellent music and SQ.

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #6694 on: March 09, 2012, 06:22:36 PM »
Rich -

What's the best place to get it? I'm not familiar with the BIS label.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6695 on: March 09, 2012, 08:10:25 PM »
Hi Gene,
http://www.bis.se/  Scandinavian

Cheapest: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W9ER7Q/

Honneger is 20th century british composer. He's not atonal, but mostly dark and intense. As a hard core bopper you might dig it for the harmony.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #6696 on: March 09, 2012, 09:13:54 PM »
A lot of listening today, but not a lot of opportunities to get to the computer and post, so it is time to catch up.

The Jazz Messengers at the Cafe Bohemia - Volume 1

Blue Note LP

From Amazon:
"In 1955, Art Blakey after the success of his all star pick up group at Birdland the previous year with the legendary trumpeter Clifford Brown, the Charlie Parker influenced, blusier edged alto saxophonist Lou Donaldson, Horace Silver on piano and bassist Curly Russell, the drummer decided to form a more permanent band "The Jazz Messengers". The first true working band edition featured a number of then bright young stars such as Kenny Dorham on trumpet, a very overlooked but excellent hardbop player, Hank Mobley on tenor sax, Silver again on piano and Doug Watkins on bass who was one of the finest bassists on the NY scene at the time by way of detroit, and cousin of Paul Chambers. Blakey and the Jazz Messengers were caught live on November 23, 1955 at the Cafe Bohemia in a night of music that resulted in a pair of Blue Note albums and a third volume of unreleased material only released in Japan."

Samples:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/radio/B00005MIZA/ref=pd_krex_listen_dp_img?ie=UTF8&refTagSuffix=dp_img
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline tmazz

« Reply #6697 on: March 09, 2012, 09:17:48 PM »
Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers: Keystone 3

Concord LP

From Amazon:
"The Marsalis brothers on alto sax and trumpet, Donald Brown on piano and of course Art on the drums. This album lives up to the pedigre of the players. The melodic improvisation here is both accessible and sublime. If you love Art Blakey this is a must, if you don't (yet) even more so. The music speaks for itself. "In Walks Bud" gets it off to a rousing start, "In a Sentimental Mood" provides a luxurious ballad, "Fuller Love" and "Waterfalls" float us way on waves of chromatic harmony and dazzling solos, and "A La Mode" is the ice cream on top a most satisfying musical experience. Sit back and enjoy!"

Samples:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/radio/B0000006E9/ref=pd_krex_listen_dp_img?ie=UTF8&refTagSuffix=dp_img

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #6698 on: March 09, 2012, 09:24:39 PM »
Lou Donaldson: Mr. Shing-a-Ling

Blue Note LP

From Allmusic:
"Lou Donaldson does attempt to loosen up a bit with Mr. Shing-A-Ling, but the whole affair is a bit stilted. Not quite the full-fledged electric funk workout that was becoming commonplace for old-guard soul-jazz musicians in the late '60s, but not quite the bop-inflected soul-jazz of the early '60s either, Mr. Shing-A-Ling falls into a netherworld that won't quite connect either with jazz purists or fans of grooving jazz-funk. That said, when the quintet settles into a mid-tempo vamp, Donaldson, trumpeter Blue Mitchell and organist Lonnie Smith do spin out some good solos that are worth hearing."

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #6699 on: March 09, 2012, 09:27:38 PM »
Frank Sinatra: Point of No Return

Capitol LP (British EMI Pressing)

From Amazon:
"Though already in business in 1961 with his own record label, Frank Sinatra was contractually obligated to give Capitol one more record before moving on to Reprise. Sinatra gave them the ironically titled Point of No Return, which is hardly the deal-fulfilling throwaway one might expect. Expertly arranged and conducted by longtime Sinatra ally Alex Stordahl, it's an elegant collection of farewell songs (including "I'll See You Again," "As Time Goes By," "There Will Never Be Another You," and "It's a Blue World"), delivered by Sinatra with a profound sense of sadness and loss. Fans of such downbeat Sinatra concept albums as In the Wee Small Hours and Sings for Only the Lonely would do well to pick up on this oft-overlooked gem."

Samples:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/radio/B00005UMT9/ref=pd_krex_listen_dp_img?ie=UTF8&refTagSuffix=dp_img

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #6700 on: March 09, 2012, 09:32:30 PM »
The Turtles Greatest Hits

Flash LP (Holland Import)

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #6701 on: March 09, 2012, 09:39:06 PM »
Stevie Ray Vaughan: Live Alive

Epic 2 LP Set

From Amazon:
"Pay attention- this album is for srv's fans. Not the best of his live work. This album was greatly redone in the studio so first of all- it's not really that live of an album. Don't get me wrong- there really isn't anything bad on the album Change it may even be a better version. Leaving you and superstition are the only songs not on his other albums that are worth it [ Srv himself remarked after sobering up that he thought willie the wimp was in badtaste and didn't want it on radio]. If you're a big fan go ahead and get it... after you get all the other stuff. If you are a casual fan of Stevie's blues and blues rock and occasional jazz- any of his other albums live or otherwise would be better. It's a good album but at the bottom of stevie's work taking under consideration the availibility of the songs and so on. So buy it if you have his other stuff and can't stand not having these 3 songs."

Samples:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/radio/B00000268O/ref=pd_krex_listen_dp_img?ie=UTF8&refTagSuffix=dp_img

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #6702 on: March 10, 2012, 07:48:20 AM »
Tom -

If you want another Blakey/Messengers title, look at what I posted 3/3, The Big Beat. I love it.

Just refiled all the albums I played/bought in last few months, was surprised at how much Sinatra I have. Yet I still need to find what you listed, and Come Fly With Me.

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #6703 on: March 10, 2012, 07:49:18 AM »
Catch Bull At Four
Cat Stevens | Format: Vinyl

Finally refiling the 100+ albums littering my listening area, found this that Bill bought for me along with a few other Cat Stevens titles. Just gave it a quick cleaning and threw it on. Nice SQ. Checked the dead wax and not surprised to see the legend 'STERLING' stamped there. Also some initials I'll have to look up, once I get a magifying glass out to read them that is.  :duh

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #6704 on: March 10, 2012, 02:24:13 PM »
Peckin Time
Hank Mobley | Format: vinyl

Geez - picking up and just found this, still unopened, and I bought it 10 months ago.