Author Topic: What are you listening to right now?  (Read 3027260 times)

eleazar

Re: What are you listening to right now?
« Reply #6495 on: February 20, 2012, 01:26:08 PM »
Now this is one damn dynamic album. Holy cow!!!

Persuasive Percussion - vol 2

- a bit scratched and not in pristene condition, but still worth listening to. A bit bright but holy cow, if all records had this kind of sound ...
- I've also got vol 3, but it has no sleeve and looks really bad. We'll see.

I hear you I love these LPs I have a bunch of them but not that one.   :thumb:

2two

« Reply #6496 on: February 20, 2012, 02:02:04 PM »
Welcome, to 2Two.  Glad to have you here at AN.

Please tell us about the albums. We are interested in what you have to say about the music you enjoy.  :)

Okay rap music is a type of music that possesses primarily rhythm. The same way we can have melody and harmony without a rhythm, we can have rhythm without melody.

This is why rap is supported with harmonic music in the background while the performer does a chant in the foreground. The purpose of rap is to maintain the flow of the rhythm. Flow is expressed in rhyme, rhyme schemes, rhythm and cadence. Delivery also depends and refers to elements of the delivery: pitch, timbre, volume.

It's not unlike the chant in music of Bunraku Japanese puppetry where the Tayuu delivers a rousing chant and is meant to keep the characters alive and maintain the flow of the storyline and chant rhythmically in a very deliberate manner. The "stories" in good rap music represent the average black person's struggle (with racism, poverty, targeted murdering, and urban lifestyle), or a rapper's surprise and joy at sudden success where they achieved their desires (money, love interests, or other material goods).

Of course there's often other kinds of stories but this is a general idea/principle.

BobbyP

« Reply #6497 on: February 20, 2012, 02:51:27 PM »

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6498 on: February 20, 2012, 04:09:14 PM »
[quote author=pumpkinman
I hear you I love these LPs I have a bunch of them but not that one.   :thumb:

Unfortunately the Vol 3, and the Persuasive Piano and the Provocative Drums are all too scratched and ruined to enjoy.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6499 on: February 20, 2012, 04:14:18 PM »
Haydn - Surprise and Drumroll synphonies
- another nice Columbia 6 eye in decent enough shape

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #6500 on: February 20, 2012, 04:39:29 PM »
Now that you have the 16.5, you'll have to have Bill teach you how to steam records.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #6501 on: February 20, 2012, 05:29:48 PM »

Please tell us about the albums. We are interested in what you have to say about the music you enjoy.  :)

Okay rap music is a type of music that possesses primarily rhythm. The same way we can have melody and harmony without a rhythm, we can have rhythm without melody.

This is why rap is supported with harmonic music in the background while the performer does a chant in the foreground. The purpose of rap is to maintain the flow of the rhythm. Flow is expressed in rhyme, rhyme schemes, rhythm and cadence. Delivery also depends and refers to elements of the delivery: pitch, timbre, volume.

It's not unlike the chant in music of Bunraku Japanese puppetry where the Tayuu delivers a rousing chant and is meant to keep the characters alive and maintain the flow of the storyline and chant rhythmically in a very deliberate manner. The "stories" in good rap music represent the average black person's struggle (with racism, poverty, targeted murdering, and urban lifestyle), or a rapper's surprise and joy at sudden success where they achieved their desires (money, love interests, or other material goods).

Of course there's often other kinds of stories but this is a general idea/principle.

I've read quite a bit about rap and hip-hop, but nothing I've seen sums it up as clearly and concisely as your description.

I'm interested in what you think about the albums themselves, especially now that I see you are such a good writer.  Tell us what you think of the records you are playing in context to to what you said about rap. Are the records you've listened to worth your time?  Ours?  Recommendations?   

BobbyP

« Reply #6502 on: February 20, 2012, 07:49:11 PM »
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 07:51:14 PM by BobbyP »

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6503 on: February 20, 2012, 08:29:49 PM »
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6504 on: February 20, 2012, 08:35:38 PM »

Hmmm... It's rare that folks post much about the album. Most don't even post a link to Amazon or All Music so that you can read a bit about it, or even type out the artist and title to make searching for it easy... Just my observation...
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline satfrat

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #6505 on: February 20, 2012, 09:56:27 PM »
I'm interested in what you think about the albums themselves, especially now that I see you are such a good writer.  Tell us what you think of the records you are playing in context to to what you said about rap. Are the records you've listened to worth your time?  Ours?  Recommendations?   

Eminem: The Slim Shady LP (2001)

Bad ass foul mouthed white boy headcase but boy can the man rap!  8)

SAMPLES

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

eleazar

« Reply #6506 on: February 21, 2012, 01:23:05 AM »
Warren Kime ~ Brass Impact

Warren Kime, an orchestra leader, trumpeter, flügelhornist, and arranger from Chicago, brought a tape to Command and subsequently made a startling debut on a major record label. He made three unique, exciting Brass Impact records: Brass Impact, Explosive Brass Impact, and Goin' Someplace!. Each had three major horn groups (trumpet, flügelhorn, and trombone). Each also had, in addition to brass and woodwinds, modern rhythm and even the "wordless choruses" associated with Esquivel and Bob Thompson. These were supplied by three women, one of whom was Donna Kime, Warren's wife.

Kime's "Brass Choir" was one of the earliest, most assured, and definitive of the late-'60s exponents of the "mod" sound typified by Bob Crewe's treatment of Music to Watch Girls By. Take Herb Alpert, strip out most of the Latin elements, substitute the perky madness of Esquivel's chorus, and you have Brass Impact. It does have impact. At times, particularly in some treatments of then-popular sambas, Kime achieves the bombast of Quincy Jones' and Roland Kirk's classic "Soul Bossa Nova," but without the soul. Fortunately, Kime seems to have caught Command between its fascinations with stereo and quadrophonic channel separation; here the focus simply is on developing the "now sound" with easy listening for parents of the Woodstock generation. ABC/Command issued a two-fer in 1973 titled Dynamic Brass Impact.

BobM I like (much to my surprise) and have all 3 Brass Impact records. I like you found one of them in a box of LPs given to me by a 90 year old man. We have become good friends and I visit him whenever I have the time. It took me several years to locate the other two lps.........Bill

Command Album Discography
http://www.bsnpubs.com/abc/command.html

Project 3 Discography
http://yktc.us/MusicRack/33/Label%20List/Project3/list%20Project%203.html
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 01:54:41 AM by pumpkinman »

2two

« Reply #6507 on: February 21, 2012, 02:04:36 AM »

Hmmm... It's rare that folks post much about the album. Most don't even post a link to Amazon or All Music so that you can read a bit about it, or even type out the artist and title to make searching for it easy... Just my observation...

My observation also. Am I being singled out due to my taste in music ?

eleazar

« Reply #6508 on: February 21, 2012, 02:17:46 AM »

My observation also. Am I being singled out due to my taste in music ?

I don't think so 2Two. I think they are genuinely interested in what you like musically. You'll find people here are helpful and friendly.......Bill

eleazar

« Reply #6509 on: February 21, 2012, 02:20:45 AM »
One more LP and then it will be time to get ready for the day.

Enoch Light & The Light Brigade
A New Concept Of Cole porter Songs