Author Topic: What are you listening to right now?  (Read 3026949 times)

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: What are you listening to right now?
« Reply #6345 on: February 08, 2012, 05:12:28 AM »
I love Doin' Alright, but my favorite Dex is "Dexter Calling."

I couldn't figure out how to call Dexter, so I checked with ALIS and she has a copy that will ship out to me tomorrow morning. I should be checking this out by the weekend.

Thanks for the heads up Allen!  :thumb:

I'm always glad to share!

One of these days ALIS... you'll get me a great record.

Here are some samples: http://www.amazon.com/Dexter-Calling-Gordon/dp/B0002A2VJG

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6346 on: February 08, 2012, 05:30:44 AM »
I love Doin' Alright, but my favorite Dex is "Dexter Calling."

I couldn't figure out how to call Dexter, so I checked with ALIS and she has a copy that will ship out to me tomorrow morning. I should be checking this out by the weekend.

Thanks for the heads up Allen!  :thumb:

Damn Tom, I just put in the ALIS request this morning. I guess I'll be getting it after you.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline satfrat

• Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #6347 on: February 08, 2012, 02:13:22 PM »
John McLaughlin: Floating Point (2008)

Jazz fusion SAMPLES

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #6348 on: February 08, 2012, 02:58:37 PM »
For the people complaining that this thread consumes all the oxygen on AN, (Other than this one) there is only one other post among all 50 listed on the homepage.

I just heard this CD on Pandora. It is an excellent trio and I am usually not a big Ron Carter fan, but I would buy this for the pianist alone. Keith Jarrett influenced, but in a good way.  8)

Amazon review:
"Five ENJOYABLE Stars!! Composer, arranger, educator, perennial jazz poll- and Grammy-winner Ron Carter, unquestionably one of the greatest bassists in jazz history, has conjured up a great tribute to Miles Davis, who brought him front and center in the jazz world. Historically, Mr Carter arrived in the quintet after the "Kind of Blue" era, playing from 1963 to 1968 teaming up with Herbie Hancock and Tony Williams to form one of jazz' most stellar rhythm sections, playing many of these very songs. This CD is a wonderful set of Miles associated-songs which are fresh while often maintaining much of the atmosphere of the originals. Mr Carter is joined by the stupendously inventive Stephen Scott on piano, superlative drummer Payton Crossley and master percussionist Roger Squitero. Wonderfully recorded, you can often hear the reverberations of Mr Carter's strings suspending the notes in the air longer than we normally hear.

The 'Pieces De Resistance', the best of the best, begin with a song I listened to six consecutive times before moving on: the 5-minute "Stella by Starlight" which begins with a bridge fragment and is a robust, wonderfully-constructed, touching extended bass solo by the 'bassist-extraordinare' with some tasteful piano, percussion and great brush support. And look for Ron's amazing 'mystery note' near the end, in a performance that mirrors the Miles Davis tempo and atmosphere but stands on its own; ditto for the tempo shifting "My Funny Valentine". "Gone" has some superlative drumming, stout Carter 'walking', great Scott pianism, and great overall interplay. "Seven Steps To Heaven" starts out in a familiar vein but launches on its own trajectory from there with Scott absolutely on fire and with some muscular bongo playing by 'conguero' Squitero. The waltz "Some Day My Prince Will Come" starts out where we would expect and Scott turns it funky and bluesy in a great performance that almost sounds 'Brubeck-ian' near the end. There are two Ron Carter compositions: the blazing fast "Cut and Paste" with Crossley showing his 'accent' and solo mastery and Carter giving a bass-walking seminar, and the bluesy, almost "So What"-ish "595" which is a showcase for Ron's writing and arranging plus Squitero's background percussive virtuosity. Don't let the song times dissuade you, each satisfying song gets a thorough examination and exposition. Now 70, a fleet-fingered, highly-inventive Ron Carter is as potent a bassist and as vital a composer and group leader as ever, inspiring those around him as evidenced by this disc. My Highest Recommendation. Five WONDERFUL Stars!! "

Offline satfrat

« Reply #6349 on: February 08, 2012, 04:48:43 PM »
Over The Rhine: Ohio (2003)

Alternative pop/rock Samples

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6350 on: February 08, 2012, 05:10:00 PM »

Sound Q isn't the greatest, but it moves me :D
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 05:50:06 PM by Barry (NJ) »
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline allenzachary

« Reply #6351 on: February 08, 2012, 05:49:06 PM »
For the people complaining that this thread consumes all the oxygen on AN, (Other than this one) there is only one other post among all 50 listed on the homepage.

Hear, Hear!  (An audiophile phrase if there ever was one)

Keith Jarrett influenced, but in a good way.

:rofl:

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline satfrat

« Reply #6353 on: February 08, 2012, 06:30:45 PM »
Belle and Sebastian: If You're Feeling Sinister (1998)

Alternative pop/rock Samples

Cheers,
Robin

Offline satfrat

« Reply #6354 on: February 08, 2012, 07:50:11 PM »
September: In Orbit (2005)

and the albums pretty (good) too.  :yay2:

Electronica & dance Samples

Cheers,
Robin

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #6355 on: February 08, 2012, 10:37:02 PM »
Did you by chance get his French Soundtrack album, "Ascenseur Pour L'Echafaud (Lift To The Scaffold)"

Found it in the library as part of the CD Miles Davis/Art Blakey "Nouvelle vague on CD."

Listening to it as I type this.  :thumb:

Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6356 on: February 09, 2012, 05:29:02 AM »
I just heard this CD on Pandora. It is an excellent trio and I am usually not a big Ron Carter fan, but I would buy this for the pianist alone. Keith Jarrett influenced, but in a good way.  8)
 [\quote]

Rich, yes, it's a great album. I enjoy it myself. Here's a recommendation to check out. If you liked this one then this other is kind of in a similar vein with some great piano.

Billy Childs - The Child Within

Enjoy,
Bob
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6357 on: February 09, 2012, 12:31:21 PM »
Cool, thanks Bob, I do like Billy Childs, but don't have any records yet.

Here's a great one I haven't heard in a long time, full force of Horace's harmony fully unleashed.

eleazar

« Reply #6358 on: February 09, 2012, 04:40:41 PM »

Offline satfrat

« Reply #6359 on: February 09, 2012, 04:52:32 PM »
Trilok Gurtu: Massical (2009)

Jazz fusion Samples

Cheers,
Robin