Author Topic: What are you listening to right now?  (Read 3026335 times)

eleazar

Re: What are you listening to right now?
« Reply #2580 on: April 18, 2011, 05:39:05 PM »
Rain Parade ~ Crashing Dream

LP

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #2581 on: April 18, 2011, 10:53:12 PM »
Solti Chicago Showcase

R Strauss; Don Juan; Wagner; Die Meistersinger Overture; Rossini; the Barber of Seville Overture; Beethoven; Egmont and Leonore No 3 Overture

1973 London ffrr British Import Vinyl
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

eleazar

« Reply #2582 on: April 19, 2011, 04:46:45 AM »
    CD

jsaliga

« Reply #2583 on: April 19, 2011, 11:21:42 AM »

A rare two LP set of Beethoven Sonatas for Cello and Piano featuring Rostropovich and Richter.  Amazing performances but only slightly better than average sound quality.  Still a very worthwhile listen.

--Jerome

jsaliga

« Reply #2584 on: April 19, 2011, 01:30:50 PM »

--Jerome

jsaliga

« Reply #2585 on: April 19, 2011, 03:30:32 PM »
Time for a little break from classical music and relax with some 78s.  One of the many fun things about shellac is that in the 1920s, 30s, and 40s there were a lot of bands that cut a few sides but did not rise to national recognition.  So there are many gems out there by artists most people who are not avid collectors never heard of...

...such as Erskine Butterfield and His Blue Boys.

--Jerome

jsaliga

« Reply #2586 on: April 19, 2011, 03:52:51 PM »
And then there is Andy Kirk and His Clouds of Joy...

I was actually familiar with many of these groups even before getting into 78s, mainly because I'm a jazz lover and followed the music rather closely from the 78 era, but still there many that were unknowns to me until I spun a 78 from them.

Like this one:

--Jerome
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 03:59:43 PM by jsaliga »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #2587 on: April 19, 2011, 04:04:48 PM »
Were you collecting in the 78 era?  That was a pretty long time ago, early 50s?  Back when a record album meant a book of 78 rpm 10" discs that together made an album of music, like a photo album. 12" LP squished it onto one disc but the term  was already in the vernacular.

Looks like some cool sides Jerome.

jsaliga

« Reply #2588 on: April 19, 2011, 04:23:04 PM »
Were you collecting in the 78 era?

Oh no, not quite.  I'm not that old.  I meant to say that music from that period is of considerable interest to me.  A lot of 78 music from the 1930s and 40s has made it on to CD.  And, unfortunately, a great deal of it still languishes in obscurity.

Sometimes it helps to know a little something about the labels of that period to pick out stuff that might be good.  I try to scan through these things rather quickly when I am buying a lot of them because picking this stuff out can be time consuming.

Here's an interesting one.  I never heard of Charley Shavers and His All American Five.  But I did now a little something about Keynote Recordings and figured it was probably an interesting pair of jazz sides so I slowed down long enough to read the credits.  Hmm...Coleman Hawkins and Teddy Wilson.  Yep, any jazz fan would be familiar with those names.  So I snapped up several sides featuring this group.

After researching Shavers I learned that he played with Lucky Millinder in the 1930s and Benny Goodman in the 1950s.

--Jerome

Offline richidoo

« Reply #2589 on: April 19, 2011, 05:18:47 PM »
Yes, Charlie Shavers is a great trumpeter!! I haven't heard that name in a long time. My dad used to talk about that era of musicians when I was young. I listened to a lot of JATP which he played in. Nice band on that one.

jsaliga

« Reply #2590 on: April 20, 2011, 08:23:19 AM »

An outstanding recording of De Falla's El Amor Brujo by Leopold Stowkowski and the Philadelphia Orchestra.  I have several of these Sony Essential Classics titles (they were originally issued on Columbia Masterworks vinyl) and I must say that it has done a terrific job with the mastering for CD.  Highly recommended.

--Jerome

jsaliga

« Reply #2591 on: April 20, 2011, 11:33:08 AM »

This minty original Columbia/SAX UK pressing of Beethoven Symphony No. 5 by Otto Klemperer and the Philharmonia Orchestra is glorious.  It's my favorite Beethoven 5th reading out of the dozen or so that are in my collection.

--Jerome

jsaliga

« Reply #2592 on: April 20, 2011, 12:07:45 PM »

This is a lovely Decca LXT pressing of Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No. 2.  Fans of Eric Carmen should be very familiar with the Adagio Sostenuto second movement, seeing that he borrowed heavily from it for his 1975 pop hit All By Myself.

--Jerome
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 12:11:07 PM by jsaliga »

jsaliga

« Reply #2593 on: April 20, 2011, 01:23:36 PM »

--Jerome

eleazar

« Reply #2594 on: April 20, 2011, 01:42:54 PM »
Orange, Sugar & Chocolate
Psychedelic Microdots Of The 60's...Vol. 1

CD