Author Topic: Fiber optic cable  (Read 13530 times)

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
Fiber optic cable
« on: November 27, 2022, 09:54:05 AM »
Lurking over at the Audiogon forum where a discussion on whether Ethernet cables make a difference or not, someone suggest trying fiber optic cable instead. He states that electromagnetic interference and radio frequencies do not travel own fiber cable providing a noise free signal. He even provided what was needed.

You will need two ethernet cables and the following:
one cable
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CDDJ51Q?psc=1&amp&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

and 2 FMCs
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0716XT1QT?psc=1&amp&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

about $60 total. Cheap

Connect one ethernet cable from internet source to one fiber media converter.Connect the fiber optic cable between the two FMCs and finally an ethernet cable from the 2nd FMC to streamer.
Well, for 60 bucks and amazon's easy return policy I gave it a shot.
Noise floor dropped like a rock. You dont think you have noise until its gone.
Black background, detail galore. Hate to use this cliche but I'm hearing things I've never heard before and all for 60 bucks!

If you want to improve upon that, add this power supply for $86
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T44S4MV?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Too cheap to not to try, It would a sin not to :lol:
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • All we need is music, sweet music
Re: Fiber optic cable
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2022, 10:50:38 AM »
Yes this is true fiber optic is supposed to be immune from EMI and RFI. To my understanding glass fiber optic is better than plastic, but not as practical.

Also, whatever you do, streaming is never going to be as good as playing the file locally. Besides the fiber optic that you've introduced on your end consider the miles upon miles of signal that that audio data is traveling through which may be non-fiber optic just to get to your place.

Moreover, in a general sense adding more devices into the chain is going to make sound worse instead of making sound better.

All of the aforemention stated, if it's worked out for you and you're hearing a difference that's what matters. Also to your point, it's relatively inexpensive to try.  :)

GoldenEar Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
http://halr.x10.mx/other.html

Offline ejk

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Did I say no dropouts ?
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2022, 05:52:45 AM »
I ordered it we will see what happens. Seems since I have Fios fiber optic coming in its excessive conversion. Makes.more sense that tjis should go at the entry of the house like a booster.
Aric Audio Super 6SN7 Line, Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra, Quicksilver Mid Monos, Lumin U2 Mini, Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1,Denafrips Iris DDC, Spatial Audio M3 Saphire, Hapa Audio Interconnects, TWL power cords, TWL speaker cables, Wireworld USB, i2s.

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2022, 06:02:23 AM »
Evan
let me know what you think.
And if it works out for you, there is a rabbit hole you can go down

https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/products/opticalmodule-deluxe
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 06:21:13 AM by Emil »
    --Ice Cube

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2022, 11:00:30 AM »
Evan

and down the rabbit hole I go. I went ahead a made the purchase.

Never have i experienced such an improvement for so little money.
    --Ice Cube

Offline ejk

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2022, 11:08:24 AM »
Evan

and down the rabbit hole I go. I went ahead a made the purchase.

Never have i experienced such an improvement for so little money.

I never set it up. I am out of outlets for the power. I will have to check it out another time
Aric Audio Super 6SN7 Line, Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra, Quicksilver Mid Monos, Lumin U2 Mini, Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1,Denafrips Iris DDC, Spatial Audio M3 Saphire, Hapa Audio Interconnects, TWL power cords, TWL speaker cables, Wireworld USB, i2s.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2022, 10:45:22 PM »
Fiber optic cable has come so far!  I remember the original plastic Toslink cables:  take the cable and wad it up in your hand, play a track and simply release the cable to hear the instruments shift mightily in the soundstage and the timbral balance shift.

Next: AT&T glass fiber

And here we are.

Transmitting data over a network is much more efficiently done via optical.  There is a lot of VHQ glass optical bulk cable out there.  There are a few stellar termination connectors.  Shaxon connectors are very, very good. Use an optically clear epoxy.  Cleave and clean.  Clean again.  Polish to a sub-micron finish. Clean and clean again. Cryogenically treat.  Repolish. Clean, clean, clean... 

Find a company that does that or contact NASA to see if they'll do some audio terminations for you.  🤣
Fork up $3000.00 per termination.

Music?  Oh.  It usually sounds better over very high quality copper.  Why?  I'd have to kill you.

Rock on...  :thumb:
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 11:07:53 PM by P.I. »
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2022, 07:44:59 AM »
Fiber optic cable has come so far!  I remember the original plastic Toslink cables:  take the cable and wad it up in your hand, play a track and simply release the cable to hear the instruments shift mightily in the soundstage and the timbral balance shift.

Next: AT&T glass fiber

And here we are.

Transmitting data over a network is much more efficiently done via optical.  There is a lot of VHQ glass optical bulk cable out there.  There are a few stellar termination connectors.  Shaxon connectors are very, very good. Use an optically clear epoxy.  Cleave and clean.  Clean again.  Polish to a sub-micron finish. Clean and clean again. Cryogenically treat.  Repolish. Clean, clean, clean... 

Find a company that does that or contact NASA to see if they'll do some audio terminations for you.  🤣
Fork up $3000.00 per termination.

Music?  Oh.  It usually sounds better over very high quality copper.  Why?  I'd have to kill you.

Rock on...  :thumb:

High quality copper rules! Absolutely!
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2022, 07:59:41 AM »
 here's a nice video demonstration.

https://youtu.be/zNF_-EAliuo

Still need a quality ethernet cable to go from the Opticalmodule to your streamer.

for example:
https://triodewirelabs.com/product/freedom-ethernet-cable/  :)
    --Ice Cube

Offline ejk

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2023, 08:27:41 AM »
Emil, I sent you a PM. I hooked this up today and now my laptop cannot find my Node on the network. I though this is just plug and play?

Offline ejk

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2023, 08:45:14 AM »
One of the AC adapters is dead.

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2023, 10:57:46 AM »
Emil, I sent you a PM. I hooked this up today and now my laptop cannot find my Node on the network. I though this is just plug and play?

Maybe one of your ac adaptors is dead? :-P
    --Ice Cube

Offline ejk

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2023, 01:30:10 PM »
Replacement adapter came today, and all is hooked up. So, what am I supposed to be hearing :pop I'm using my tube integrated amp right now and maybe it smoothed out some midrange? As far as noise I don't think it's changed because I HAD NO NOISE to begin with.

Emil give me a hint so I don't have to read the huge thread on Agon.

Offline ejk

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2023, 01:41:10 PM »
Replacement adapter came today, and all is hooked up. So, what am I supposed to be hearing :pop I'm using my tube integrated amp right now and maybe it smoothed out some midrange? As far as noise I don't think it's changed because I HAD NO NOISE to begin with.

Emil give me a hint so I don't have to read the huge thread on Agon.

Ok something is happening. Kieth don't Go. Neals voice is going forward and back in the soundstage as if he's singing into the microphone and then stepping back. Never heard that before.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 01:42:41 PM by ejk »

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2023, 04:15:20 AM »
Interesting.

I had a jaw dropping experience. Improvement wasn't subtle.

The fiber should drop the noise floor considerably. What you're hearing with "Keith dont go" is proof of that.

Apply a few drops then report back  :lol:

--Ice Cube