Author Topic: Turntable Interconnects…  (Read 3891 times)

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Turntable Interconnects…
« on: November 02, 2022, 02:51:10 PM »
Wondering about whether you think upgrading the standard cables that came with my 600 dollar Pro-Ject table is a worthwhile venture.
I see it two ways-
1. it’s a 600 dollar table- what difference could it possibly make?
2. it’s a 600 dollar table- how good could the supplied wires be?
If it matters in the thought process, the turntable outs are RCA, not DIN.
I recently upgraded the stylus; I hadn’t paid much attention to the table as of late, but getting up close made me consider the cables. Lipstick on a pig? I just don’t know…
Jim
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline ejk

• Did I say no dropouts ?
Re: Turntable Interconnects…
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2022, 03:07:50 PM »
Wondering about whether you think upgrading the standard cables that came with my 600 dollar Pro-Ject table is a worthwhile venture.
I see it two ways-
I recently upgraded the stylus; I hadn’t paid much attention to the table as of late, but getting up close made me consider the cables. Lipstick on a pig? I just don’t know…
Jim

Here is inexpensive cable. His speaker cables are made very well

https://sites.google.com/view/pine-tree-audio/interconnects/single-ended/quad-braid-wground

Aric Audio Super 6SN7 Line, Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra, Quicksilver Mid Monos, Lumin U2 Mini, Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1,Denafrips Iris DDC, Spatial Audio M3 Saphire, Hapa Audio Interconnects, TWL power cords, TWL speaker cables, Wireworld USB, i2s.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2022, 03:27:09 PM »
I see it two ways-
Jim
There are the naysayers that poo-poo interconnects or other audio interconnects, but there are always changes and improvements (not the same) to be had with connectivity.

One thing you always have to consider is the cost/benefit resultant. I can pretty much guarantee you the the interconnects that came with that TT cost  $1.00USD.  Go for a inexpensive cable like Blue Jeans or the aforementioned Pine Tree.

Even better.  Buy a soldering iron, learn to solder and begin the quest!  Wire IS NOT JUST wire.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2022, 04:38:04 PM »
contact Pete - Triode Wire Labs. He'll probably be willing to send you a trial cable that you can test for yourself. But my bet it once you hear it you won't be returning it.

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2022, 06:23:11 PM »
Also look at Audio Sensibility.  I've found their intro level OCC cables to be a good upgrade to a basic Jelco, which is already a step up from a manufacturer supplied cord. 
https://audiosensibility.com/blog/products-2/phono-cables-occ-copper-and-occ-silver/
Note that the prices are in Canadian... and the US dollar is historically strong right now. 
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2022, 06:49:26 PM »
I see it two ways-
Jim

It’s definitely worth using better cables. I’ll bet the results will surprise you
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2022, 08:40:50 AM »
  Jim only way to know is to try. Find a cable that can be returned and fits your budget. But before that decide what character of sound you are after. Every cable will sound different. Cables have a house sound . Find the sound you desire and try it.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline James Edward

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2022, 12:17:16 PM »
I see it two ways-
Jim

https://sites.google.com/view/pine-tree-audio/interconnects/single-ended/quad-braid-wground

I wound up ordering the Pine Tree wires this morning. 57.99 for 3 feet including shipping. There are plenty of others out there, though I can’t, in my own head, justify spending hundreds or thousands on cables for a 600.00 table.
Thanks all, you did convince me that an upgrade was warranted.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline ejk

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2022, 12:21:35 PM »
I see it two ways-
Jim

I wound up ordering the Pine Tree wires this morning. 57.99 for 3 feet including shipping. There are plenty of others out there, though I can’t, in my own head, justify spending hundreds or thousands on cables for a 600.00 table.
Thanks all, you did convince me that an upgrade was warranted.

Nice. let us know if it makes a difference
Aric Audio Super 6SN7 Line, Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra, Quicksilver Mid Monos, Lumin U2 Mini, Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1,Denafrips Iris DDC, Spatial Audio M3 Saphire, Hapa Audio Interconnects, TWL power cords, TWL speaker cables, Wireworld USB, i2s.

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2022, 09:56:51 PM »
James, don't just purchase any ics because of price etc. There are two very important criteria.

1)  As low of cable capacitance as possible. Try to find the capacitance from a manufacturer before purchasing.

If you can, try to find the inductance of the phono cartridge.  If a figure is not given, try to find the dc resistance
of the coils. I can help you figure the inductance from your results if need be.

Here is a link that can give you an idea of the frequency response to expect if you do find the inductance and
the capacitance of a possible cable. Maybe play with values to help you see the effects.

http://www.hagtech.com/loading.html

2)  Try to find an ic that uses 6N pure copper wire if you can. If you want silver or other, at least attempt to keep capacitance as low as possible. (Make your own if you can.)

Hope this helps James.

steve
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 10:15:11 PM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline ejk

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2022, 12:07:05 PM »
James did you receive the cables yet?

Offline James Edward

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2022, 04:12:02 PM »
Yes- I’m terrible at making assessments because I don’t do the audiophile ‘references’ thing, but I believe they sound better all around. To be honest, when I first installed them, I turned up the volume beyond a ‘high normal’ with nothing playing- I heard a good amount of noise/hum. Of course I freaked out.
I put the previous supplied cables that came with the table back in, and did the same thing volume-wise. The same noise/hum existed. I un-freaked and put the new cables back in.
Pine Tree was an easy company to deal with, and their cables are well made without an exorbitant price tag.
A fello AN member is going to lend me a very pimpish expensive cable to try; let’s just say it starts with M and ends with T.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2022, 12:38:40 PM »
  Keep trying its fun. Try TWL one day.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline ejk

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2022, 09:24:34 AM »
So I guess no issues?