Author Topic: Headphone Extension Cable  (Read 5411 times)

Offline dflee

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Headphone Extension Cable
« on: June 23, 2021, 03:34:11 PM »
Hey everyone:
Looking for a decent extension cable for my headphones.
Since getting the ZMF Auteur and upgraded cable I can now hear a difference using
my existing Grado cable extension vs plugging in without. But I need it to reach the couch.
Need a 10' length and looking max 300 hundred.
Anybody got an idea?

Thanks
Don

« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 06:48:18 PM by dflee »
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Re: Headphone Extension Cable
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2021, 11:02:00 AM »
Just so happens that I was looking for a cable as well. Mine is kind of heavy. Cardas.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2021, 08:17:01 PM »
Damn and all this time I was happy with my Grado extention.

More nervosa, here I come.  :roll:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline malloy

• no grave concern for repercussion
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2021, 09:40:41 PM »
Audio Advisor has its Pangea that's supposed to be made from Cardas cable for $49 and I see a listing for Kimber made from its PBJ for $100 up.

Dunno if the Pangea is any good, but it's cheap enough. 

I'd go for Oyaide's PCOCC: https://www.ebay.com/itm/124701771040?epid=1382354475&hash=item1d08ce0520:g:y8YAAOSw5S9boK23

Paul

Offline dflee

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2021, 12:38:08 PM »
Malloy:
Do they have anything in 12 ft.? Could live with 10 ft. but just barely.
Would be interested

Thanks
Don
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.

Offline malloy

• no grave concern for repercussion
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2021, 10:59:01 PM »
Hi Don,

Unfortunately, the longest Oyaide is only 8.2 feet. I don't think there is anything longer.

The Kimber is available in 10, 15, up to 30 feet.  10 feet is $141.

The Pangea is 15 feet.

Paul

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2021, 04:40:11 AM »
I made my own using the Canare L-4E6S microphone cable. Just buy the length of footage that you require and get some decent connectors, then do a little soldering. This is a high quality shielded cable utilizing a star quad geometry. Works damn well as an extension.

https://www.markertek.com/product/l-4e6s-bk/canare-l-4e6s-star-quad-microphone-cable-by-the-foot-black

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2021, 09:49:05 AM »
I made my own using the Canare L-4E6S microphone cable.

Bob, I would expect nothing less from you.   :thumb:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2021, 03:25:23 PM »
Oh, at 59 cents a foot I can buy me some raw cable and within a few minutes come up with a $650 cable :)
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline dflee

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2021, 10:42:36 AM »
Bringing this back to life (somewhat).
Before the suggestions made (thanks guys) I found out Grado made two cables of which I had the cheaper model.
Got the better one and it works quite a bit better than the cheaper. Found a pro audio cable from a company called Rattlesnake that starts at 15 ft and had a labor day sale for 36 bucks (normal $45) and thought gotta try em. If you look them up you can see the connections (locking female) aren't top grade but are pretty solid.
If you've ever set up stage equipment than this cord is right up your alley. It is a monster. It's thick, heavy and built like a tank. I'm not in a position where the weight and stiffness is a hinderance and while I only need twelve feet, the additional three are no big deal. I've put about ten hr on them and gotta say, the Grado is a light weight compared (and not just in weight). Rattlesnake has a fuller sound and really opened up the area the sound is coming from. Fuller sound gives way to a better low end and mids are just gorgeous. Plugged the headphone cable directly to the pre and got just a sleight difference that isn't worth trying to describe. These are made for sound engineers and studio settings so they are made to add nothing to the sound and they don't.
Just for shits and giggles ya'll should give them a try. I'm quite impressed.

Don
Plugged directly into Accuphase C11 pre to ZMF 2K cable connected to ZMF Auteur phones
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 10:45:52 AM by dflee »

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • All we need is music, sweet music
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2022, 08:38:18 AM »
I went a bit simpler and certainly less expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/TISINO-Headphone-Extension-Quarter-Stereo/dp/B0892QVV9F/ref=asc_df_B0892QVV9F/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=459618435588&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16775982571366731532&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9004440&hvtargid=pla-966659801270&th=1

I purchased a 10-foot length. I could have gotten away with 6.

They work very nicely with my Audeze LCD-X, to which I use the stock cable provided by Audeze.

If I feel the need to listen "critically" with headphones, I can sit closer to my headphone amp (oppo udp205) and not have to use any extension.

One would be hard pressed to discern a difference with/without the extension in a simple blind test.

Best

Hal
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 08:51:28 AM by GDHAL »
GoldenEar Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
http://halr.x10.mx/other.html