Author Topic: NEW SMALLER LISTENING ROOM - WHAT AM I NOT THINKING OF...???  (Read 8715 times)

Offline toobluvr

• Certifiable
Re: NEW SMALLER LISTENING ROOM - WHAT AM I NOT THINKING OF...???
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2021, 10:21:04 AM »
Since you plan to put speakers on the short wall of a room that is basically a rectangular box, it's kindof impossible to avoid symmetry with the room.  Only way to do so is place them on longer wall, shifted to one side, such that the distance to sidewalls is different.

Another way is with an across the corner diagonal setup.  I've done this in a few rooms, with good success.  Photo below is my current room -- very large, partial cathedral ceilings, open layout into DR and kitch.  I tried the speakers setup traditionally on window wall and wall you see to the right.  Wall to left (not in pic) is possible but it has big double doors out to porch -- not good from a living standpoint -- so I didn't try it.

Sounds best this way.    Just experiment and use your ears.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 11:47:57 AM by toobluvr »
Spkrs: Sunny Cable Tech, Reynaud, Zu, Klipsch, Gallo subs, Wharfedale
TT1: Townshend Rock 3/OL Silver Mk3A
TT2: OL Aurora/OL Encounter Mk3C
Carts: Soundsmith Zephyr,  Music Maker 3, Dynavector xx2-Mk2, Shelter 501
complete: see Sunnydaze system on AC

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2021, 12:17:01 PM »
Everything i have read says you want symmetry. 
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline toobluvr

• Certifiable
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2021, 12:20:35 PM »

Same here.   
Spkrs: Sunny Cable Tech, Reynaud, Zu, Klipsch, Gallo subs, Wharfedale
TT1: Townshend Rock 3/OL Silver Mk3A
TT2: OL Aurora/OL Encounter Mk3C
Carts: Soundsmith Zephyr,  Music Maker 3, Dynavector xx2-Mk2, Shelter 501
complete: see Sunnydaze system on AC

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2021, 01:35:46 PM »
Waiting for Dave to comment…. whaddya think??
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2021, 02:27:18 PM »

That's exactly why I made the comment, Jimmy. I always thought the same as you and John.

I guess we'll all wait for Dave!  :D

SN
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline ASCTim

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2021, 02:49:50 PM »
Since you plan to put speakers on the short wall of a room that is basically a rectangular box, it's kindof impossible to avoid symmetry with the room.  Only way to do so is place them on longer wall, shifted to one side, such that the distance to sidewalls is different.

Another way is with an across the corner diagonal setup.  I've done this in a few rooms, with good success.  Photo below is my current room -- very large, partial cathedral ceilings, open layout into DR and kitch.  I tried the speakers setup traditionally on window wall and wall you see to the right.  Wall to left (not in pic) is possible but it has big double doors out to porch -- not good from a living standpoint -- so I didn't try it.

I'll second on the corner diagonal setup. I too have had good luck, sometimes making the diagonal not perfectly lined up into the corner. By skewing the angle into the corner I've been able on some occasions to combat the imaging shifting off to the side due to a window or nearby wall. With a diagonal placement and some acoustic treatments I was able to get a bedroom to sound delightfully good, far beyond my expectations.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2021, 07:24:56 PM »

I'll second on the corner diagonal setup. I too have had good luck, sometimes making the diagonal not perfectly lined up into the corner. By skewing the angle into the corner I've been able on some occasions to combat the imaging shifting off to the side due to a window or nearby wall. With a diagonal placement and some acoustic treatments I was able to get a bedroom to sound delightfully good, far beyond my expectations.

Hi Tim. Welcome to AN  :thumb:
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2021, 09:33:05 PM »
Glad to have you aboard Tim.  :thumb:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2021, 05:57:28 PM »
Bill, They should be symmetrical to the room, side and back walls especially. See website for Acoustic Fields

https://www.acousticfields.com/videos/
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2021, 11:32:03 PM »
Bill, They should be symmetrical to the room, side and back walls especially. See website for Acoustic Fields

I really enjoy watching Dennis Foley’s videos and am learning a lot.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2022, 12:43:34 PM »
in smaller rooms especially, i'm definitely in agreement w/the comment you quoted.  have your left or right speaker a few inches closer or further away from its nearest side wall than the other.  it will help load the room better.  by the looks of your diagram, where the x's are, you have that already, if you're actually going to place the speakers there.  (but i'm w/charles - move the speakers further into the room; slide everything rearward, maybe even the bookshelf/record cabinet.)

and i'd also consider sound absorption at the 1st sidewall reflection points; makes a nice difference in a narrow room.  depending on the shelving on the right side, that may act in this fashion all by itself, and you would only have to put something on the left side.

definitely agree about curtains on the windows, and nothing between the speakers, w/exception of amp/s on the floor.  and, maybe it's possible to have the shelving split in two, so that it can be moved all the way to the back of the room on each side?  then your audio gear except amp/s can be on the side wall in front of one of the shelves, and the room remains as wide as possible, w/a place for proper sound absorption at the 1st reflection points to the listening position.

my idea:

doug s.
I was reading through this article this morning and was surprised by this comment:

"Avoid left / right symmetry, especially with respect to corners, halls and walls. It’s okay to have your speakers symmetrical with each other, but make sure they’re not exactly symmetrical to the room."

https://www.aperionaudio.com/blogs/aperion-audio-blog/2-channel-stereo-speaker-placement

Whatta you guys thinking on this?

Thanks,
SN

That is it in a nutshell. You moved in now so ????

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2022, 09:26:05 AM »
we can agree to disagree.  you can get rid of room nodes by slightly shifting the distance between side walls a few inches, per my prior comments.  (genesis loudspeakers agrees w/me.  i recently read it in one of their manuals i was perusing.  or i agree w/them?  heh!)

ymmv,

doug s.

Absolutely 100% agree. Using the Sheffield break in disc there is a in phase out of phase track to adjust ones speakers. If not getting a center image in phase and a coming to you from all around the room image adjusting one speakers toe in or position is moved. Usuall a minor move of ONE SPEAKER. Either toe in or position. Works every time
charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.