Author Topic: My visit with Danny Richie at GR Research...  (Read 12414 times)

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
My visit with Danny Richie at GR Research...
« on: January 23, 2021, 08:55:00 PM »
Danny and I have been good friends for over 20 years.  It has been a great relationship that has grown into a complete one with our wives becoming friends, too.  It is always a good time when we get together, which is not often enough.  After the BS of this last year I decided that it was time for a mental enema.  Iowa Park Texas is a 7-1/2 hour drive so...

Three days was just not enough time.  We talked a lot (all four of us), Danny and I did the whole audio geek thing and I espent some quality time with his NX-Tremes, a 7' tall, open baffle wonder of a speaker.  Paired with a pair of triple 12", open baffle servo subs they dealt an amazing audio experience.

I've been "doing audio", especially speakers since I was 13 years old.  That is 60 years.  I've spent countless hours, days, weeks and years with an amazing mix of speakers. From self built experiments when I was 15, 4 - Altec Lansing A7-500s stacked 2 to a corner, horn to horn in the rock and roll band house in 1967-68, ElectroVoice Patricians, Allison, Boston Acoustics, Mission, Dahlquist, Maggies, Snell, WATT/Puppies and an assortment of self-designed and built.  Last pair that weren't my designs were GR Super Vs.  some of these were great, some just fun, some sucked.

I've exhibited with Danny at RMAF and every year his speakers just got better.  After the Super Vs, his Super Sevens raised the bar more than a little bit.  That year Steven Stone and others gave us best of show accolades with the Super Sevens being world class contenders.  Pete's cables didn't hurt either  :thumb:

I've been following his YouTube channel and when Ron Brenay and his brother visited GR Research and listened to Danny's new offerings, I knew I had to take a road trip.  I was not prepared for what was waiting for me.  The NX-Tremes are in a word: stunning.

In the continuum that is home audio three are an amazing number of exemplary products out there.  I've heard a lot of great loudspeakers, but I can't remember when I heard a pair with so few faults.  There are speakers that may excel in some area, but fall flat in others.  The NX-Ts don't have that character.  Powered by a 9WPC 300B amp they are astonishingly dynamic, not only in a macro context, but micro dynamic nuances abound in the soundfield.  This gives image specificity quite unlike the majority of speakers in my history.  With the Triples handling the low end they have a foundation that few speakers can match.  The subs are -3dB in the teens, but are never heavy handed.  Gary Ding's servo sensor methodology does not exhibit that slow, plodding bloated low end that accelerometer subs often have.  They are clean, fast and musical with pitch definition and harmonic content that sounds real on orchestral passages.  Concert drum is THERE!  The pressure gradient that subsonic energy produces is very real with these subs.  Soundstage is enormous, but with life-like image sizes.  Depth was beyond the back wall (~ 10' away) and extended to just in front of the speakers depending on ambient cues.  LikeI said: stunning.

The two things that struck me the most were the incredible transparency and the ability of these 7' wonders to absolutely disappear.  There was never the inkling of sound coming from them.  The sound was just there, hanging in space.  I gave never heard the sense of air and space between these bells in Bernie Krause's Macchu Piccu Suite on the Citadels of Mystery recording.  For the first time in my experience I could hear the wooden stick bouncing on the bell during the rim rub.  I have had this recording in several formats since it was released as a MFSL half-speed master in 1980.  The Rebook CD sounded better than the record played on my old Star Sapphire SME IV with any number of cartridges.

The expression gobsmacked comes to mind.  I'm sure there are speakers that will rival the NX-Tremes.  I'm also sure that many thousands of dollars would be spent to acquire them.  For sheer musical, transparent, dynamic and detailed without harshness reproduction I'd rate them 9.7/10.  For $4K + the flat pack costs a build will result in exemplary enjoyment for years to come.

https://www.gr-research.com/store/p13/NX-Treme.html
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 11:29:33 PM by P.I. »
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
Re: My visit with Danny Richie at GR Research...
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 05:27:36 AM »
Dave,
Glad you made it to Danny's for a visit!  Been too long at 6 years since I went down to visit.

Great write-up of your experience!

One question.  What DAC is Danny using in the system these days? 

Miss seeing everyone!  Hopefully RMAF2021 is a go and folks will be able to get together again.

Rich

Offline dpatters

• Seeking Help
  • Audiofool in Happy Valley
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 06:08:57 AM »
Hey Dave! Glad you had a good trip. Could you give some sense of the overall size of the listening room and the seating position. How far out into the room were the speakers and where were the subs placed.

Thanks. Don
Vapor Audio Joule Black
Kinki Studio EX-B7 mono amps
Kinki Studio EX-P7 preamp
Jay’s Audio CD-2MKII transport
Jay’s Audio DAC Signature
Music Hall MMF 7.1/Ortofon 2M Black MM
Graham Slee Gold Era Mark V phono pre
TWL Full Loom
Totally custom UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 10:19:15 AM »
Dave,
Glad you made it to Danny's for a visit!  Been too long at 6 years since I went down to visit.

Miss seeing everyone!  Hopefully RMAF2021 is a go and folks will be able to get together again.

Rich
He is still using Gary's DAC with the Wolfson board.  I built in a BatteryBUSS and it has my Class A output stage based around the OPA627.  Dead quiet and still does the job.  He was palying Redbook...
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 10:36:06 AM »
Hey Dave! Glad you had a good trip. Could you give some sense of the overall size of the listening room and the seating position. How far out into the room were the speakers and where were the subs placed.

Thanks. Don
I added a picture to my post.  It tells pretty much all.  My guesstimate on room size is ~ 26'L x 16'W x 12'H.  It also has a long hall in the rear that leads to an outsuide door.  The room is over damped with the show curtains spread around.  That is one of the things that made the presentation even more unexpected - the curtains didn't suck the life from the recordings.  The speakers were ~ 10' out into the room.  That helped to mitigate some of the overdamping.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2021, 04:57:36 AM »
Dave,

Rich
He is still using Gary's DAC with the Wolfson board.  I built in a BatteryBUSS and it has my Class A output stage based around the OPA627.  Dead quiet and still does the job.  He was palying Redbook...

Dave,
Thanks for the update and glad he is still enjoying the DAC. 

Rich