Author Topic: 1/2" router?  (Read 6129 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
1/2" router?
« on: September 28, 2008, 05:51:26 PM »
I need a big router to run a 1" roundover bit with a 1/2" shank for some speakers I am about to start building. Does anyone have a big router to lend me for a week or so? I will pay shipping both ways, of course, and guarantee its safe return.
Thanks
Rich

mgalusha

Re: 1/2" router?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 07:48:56 PM »
I have a Hitachi M12V, which is a big beast but it's heavy, the shipping would be killer. Hopefully someone in your area has one you can borrow.

Dougie085

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 08:08:23 PM »
I ordered one online a while back for like 175 or so shipped off ebay. Guy in New Jersey. It was the kit with the fixed and plunge base. Very beasty router although if you need dust collection certainly not the proper choice.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 09:30:44 PM »
Thanks guys. I started looking for used routers, came across a porter cable on ebay, looked a lot like mine. Hmmm, and it has 1/2" collet. A quick walk out to the garage and sure enough mine does take 1/2 after all.  :duh
Thanks, you got me on the right track!
Rich

ik632

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 08:34:05 AM »
I'm getting ready to buy a router too. I want to get one that the circle jigs will bolt to so I suppose I'll get the circle jig first and then bring it to the store and see which ones fit. Do you guys find that you use the router table as well? I can see some use, but I may not use it as much as I'd like for the price.

rosconey

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 09:15:07 AM »
circle jig will fit any router i think-at least mine fit both of my routers from different companies

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 09:44:46 AM »
I have the small and medium Jasper circle jigs. They both work swell. There are MANY mounting holes on these kigs, I bet they would fit any router ever made. Porter Cable makes a nice router, but there are a lot of good ones.

http://www.partsexpress.com/Tech/365-250.html
Look for the combo pack to buy small and medium together for a discount if you think you want both. Small makes circle up to about 7", medium up to about 18".

mgalusha

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 12:08:24 PM »
You might want to look at the Router Buddy as an alternative to the Jasper Jig. It's infinitely adjustable and doubles as a very good router fence. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=365-270

You won't go wrong either way, just listing other options. I don't think the Router Buddy fits as many routers as the Jasper but you can always drill new holes if needed. I had to do this for my Bosch router but once attached I've never removed it.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 12:09:58 PM by mgalusha »