Author Topic: Thorens TD 165  (Read 3107 times)

Online Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Thorens TD 165
« on: September 10, 2019, 12:03:51 PM »
I'm thinking about getting one and modifying it into a "Super". It has a plastic instead of metal subplatter but honestly that might be better.

Thoughts?

Some people say the arm is better than SME, others hate it. I guess it has less slack in the overall design. The biggest downside is that it isn't a universal headshell style.

I'm drawn to wanting a belt drive that isn't something like Music Hall/Project because they aren't very good at all.

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Thorens TD 165
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 01:27:48 PM »
The other audiophile in Abilene had one with the SME for 6 months, but he is one of those guys that loved to change cartridges... so he dumped it.  Nice sounding TT if the price is right. 
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Online Folsom

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 06:44:04 PM »
Hm, that's not a real strong favoring!

The one for sale locally, I asked if it has a 10mm bearing (shaft size). I got a reply that made no sense, so I may hold off for now.

The goal would certainly be to make it like a Soundek (their prices are crazy now).

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 04:30:15 AM »
I got a reply that made no sense, so I may hold off for now.

They may not know what you're talking about, or what it is they really have. If it's local, it may be worth going to check it out(?)
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 06:09:17 AM »

The one for sale locally, I asked if it has a 10mm bearing (shaft size). I got a reply that made no sense, so I may hold off for now.

The goal would certainly be to make it like a Soundek (their prices are crazy now).
Like I said, my buddy loves to swap cartridges out regularly.  Heck, he likes to swap turntables regularly.  The term Audio Nervosa describes him to a T.  I tried out his Thorens in my system and thought it was an excellent table that I'd have no problems owning.     He had a Soundek also that he got rid of... I thought the Thorens was the better table.  I'd say get it depending on price.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 06:11:08 AM by S Clark »
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 09:37:55 AM »

WOW! Just took a look on ebay, had no idea how much they were going for these days. Wonder if I should sell mine(?)

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 10:05:35 AM »

...     He had a Soundek also that he got rid of... I thought the Thorens was the better table.,,
My error, it was a Systemdek, and not in the same class as the Thorens.  Now a Sondek-  that's a different thing entirely.  Never heard one.
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Online Folsom

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 10:41:00 PM »

WOW! Just took a look on ebay, had no idea how much they were going for these days. Wonder if I should sell mine(?)

Are you not using it?! !

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 10:12:33 AM »
Are you not using it?! !

I do, but not regularly, and maybe something less "valuable" could serve the purpose to a satisfactory level(?)

Online Folsom

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2019, 11:50:53 AM »
That's up to you. I'm willing to try to get better gear (well, I make all of it but the TT and cart) even knowing sometimes I don't listen all week :rofl: (I usually do, but sometimes I take a little break)

Maybe you should make an easy listening station for the TT upstairs? Keep serious downstairs?

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2019, 12:57:27 PM »
It's a nice idea, but a TT in itself is more involved, serious, probably why it's used less than CDs, even those require placement of a puck for use in my player. And I don't do music from a server, CD or TT are it, unless it's Pandora or YouTube for streaming background stuff...

Online Folsom

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2019, 04:12:11 PM »
My idea of a living room stereo would be something like TT, tube Scott integrated, some lousy speaker that are out of the way and not amazing so you can't hear deficiencies and they don't take over from conversations. Basically it all fits in the confines of an end table type of thing.

Online Folsom

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2019, 10:44:33 AM »
Well I grabbed it! I'm not sure when I'll listen to it. I'll have to get another cart because it doesn't to universal headshells.

At first I was like, wait it says 50hz on it! Well I think Thorens just stamped that on everything because when I looked inside it has the wiring for 115v, and the speed looks correct (maybe I'll print a strobe thing later). There's no indication it was never not made for 115v, which is always 60hz.

It has the 10mm bearing so it's an ideal start - better than 160 IMO because the plastic sub platter is less resonate. I can't say when, but eventually it'll have a new plinth, new face plate, tonearm, springs, motor knock eliminator, modified motor board, SME tonearm... the works.

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2019, 12:11:07 PM »
You can download an RPM app for your phone.  I haven't used a strobe in years. 
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub