Author Topic: need recommendation re integrated amp  (Read 19658 times)

Offline TomS

• Certifiable
  • Yeah, it's just a hobby...
Re: need recommendation re integrated amp
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2018, 08:40:00 PM »
Yes, we had a few for some special projects. These were left over. They do sound quite good, very powerful and free of grain and glare, can drive most anything. They won't conquer the world and solve world hunger as some seem to think though. At Rich's GTG the amp really made the Legacy SE's come alive IMHO.

There are a lot of competitive amps out there, though at the $1-2k price point these are hard to beat. Their real utility shows when using the "hanger" modules which support bi-amp, tri-amp, etc using the existing onboard power supplies. Very cost-effective options for oems. Hypex has similar capability as well.

Note that soldering wire into a JST terminal, especially more gauge than is intended to fit will mechanically weaken the connection right at the end of the solder joint where it ends on the wire. That becomes the weakest point and may break. It's just a bad practice so I choose to avoid this. If it breaks, it doesn't matter how much better it sounds.
PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp, Nagra Classic Amp, Focal Sopra No 2's, SVS SB16 Ultra

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2018, 09:36:37 AM »
The 1200AS is the only B&O amp to use the new ICEedge chips. The older AS amps don't use that (yet.)

This amp is distilled water at 1000psi. It is not VSOP or hot chocolate. It will not entertain you. It is not worthy of gear worship because it doesn't cost enough and it is as sexy as a motherboard. But it's an adequate appliance in every audiophile performance parameter. It could make other "audiophile" components seem inadequate. But it doesn't "outshine" the other components or draw attention to itself.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2018, 12:00:03 PM »
As I understand the new ICEedge chip is only available on the 1200W amplifier at this time. But the other AS amps will hang on the 1200AS.

All ICE products are only available to manufacturers. Anybody who sells them as modules or amp kits gets a spanking. This is why bavmike stopped selling $900 kits. No ICE DIY, it's always been like that.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2018, 01:19:28 PM »
Yeah, sorry doug, I misread what you meant. I thought you meant their other ICE modules. 

I can imagine that happening, buying just the chips and hiring engineering support from B&O to develop their own amp designs using ICEedge controller. If they want to do their own circuit layout using their high end design philosophies and make their own decisions for high end audio. It would be interesting to compare a 1200AS to a Sim Audio or mark Levinson version of it.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2018, 03:54:25 PM »
Their advertisement sure implies that ICEedge will be available in different power ratings. But a month ago I thought only 1 was yet available. 300W would have been enough for my speakers. I think they have to spread the tech over their whole line to recoup the development costs. Else why bother if the previous ICE technology was "good enough"

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2018, 07:22:36 AM »
I have been quiet as I’m still in the midst of the painting and flooring project. It’s not something I’d ever want to repeat. That 1200as amp is sitting “on ice” awaiting the completion of this project. Have yet to play even one note. Maybe by this weekend it’ll happen.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2018, 10:01:53 PM »
I have been quiet as I’m still in the midst of the painting and flooring project. It’s not something I’d ever want to repeat. That 1200as amp is sitting “on ice” awaiting the completion of this project. Have yet to play even one note. Maybe by this weekend it’ll happen.
Hang in there, Brother!
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2018, 10:10:17 PM »
Hang in there, Brother!

Dave,
I’m hanging by a thread. Maybe, please please, the guy will be done tomorrow or Wednesday 🙏🙏
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS