Author Topic: New HT receiver setup  (Read 18000 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
New HT receiver setup
« on: April 10, 2008, 11:22:44 AM »
I'm getting a new receiver for HT.  It's an Onkyo 905.  It looks like it'll be really nice.

I'm using it as the processor for HT and central brain for DVD's and cable.  I will continue to have the McIntosh C220 preamp and 402 2-channel amp.  I plan to use the L&R output from the receiver as input to the C220's video input... and then I'll have the video linked to the audio system.

The receiver will power the center and 2 rear's.  The center matches the 2 fronts but the rear's are different... same brand but small.  Should I go 7.1?  The room is 15x27 or so.

Are there any pros/cons to setting up this way or any advice? 

Thanks,
Carl
I really enjoy listening to music.

Black Sand Cable

Re: New HT receiver setup
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 11:43:01 AM »
7.1 is over-rated but on the odd chance you come across a DVD that has been done in 7.1, it can be enjoyable but again let me stress.....it's overrated. I'm going 5.2 in my new room and have gone as high as 9.2 in the past and not once have I ever said to myself "gee I should go back to 7.1".

Does the C220 run McIntosh's HT bypass option?

You lost me a little, why would you run the audio output from the Onkyo into the video input on the C220?

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 02:19:34 PM »
I've got the option to go to 7.1 for the cost of 2 used speakers that match the other 2 I already have... which aren't super expensive.  So, it doesn't make sense not to do it... I'm going to run the cables regardless... I have 1000' feet of inwall cable I need to burn. ;)

As to the audio-to-video... I was referring to the audio-input label called 'video' on the C220.  I've never used an HT bypass, nor do I know what it is... but I know the c220 doesn't have it.  Does it just take the volume control out of the loop?

-C

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 06:07:13 PM »
From McIntosh....this is for the C2200 but the same would hold true for any McIntosh piece that runs HT bypass.

PASS THRU Mode allows (pre) to be part of a Multichannel System for the Left and Right Front Channels, when it is connected to a multichannel processor such as the MX134. Any of the C2200’s High Level Inputs may be used for the PASS THRU Function. The C2200 default setting for the PASS THRU feature needs to be changed in Setup.

Speaking of McIntosh, has anyone checked out their web-site lately? They have a new one up that is very nice!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 10:29:38 PM by Black Sand Cable »

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 06:46:40 PM »
Cool!  8)

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/

Looks like they have an owners forum now too.

ik632

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 06:00:41 AM »
Nice receiver, that should work really nice for the setup. I'm still trying to get my theater area sorted out. I'm not 100% happy with it, but it works for now and that's good enough.

On another note, I sent them an e-mail seeing if I could get a tour next week and they haven't responded. I didn't get a confirmation e-mail that they received my communication from the web so I wonder if that is broken since the site is new.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 06:28:37 AM »
I'd suggest giving them a call to verify they received your tour request.  I've always been able to get them by phone during normal hours.  Don't forget your digital camera! ;)

I'm looking forward to having HT... mainly to watch concerts.  I really don't like going to concerts.... I pay a lot of money and the sound is usually ho-hum at best.  For the money, I'd rather buy the DVD's or CD's and play them at home. 

I'd pay tons of money if I was going to watch a band un-amplified in a small venue where I was could talk to the musicians a little.  That's worth a lot to me... and I remember those concerts the most... mostly jazz, though.

In the early/mid 90's MTV did its 'unplugged' thing and several radio stations did the same... they had it right... I don't know why that didn't stay popular. 

-C

ik632

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 11:06:12 AM »
I got a call back and they are working to get me in. They originally wanted to do it at 9:00am but I'll be training then. Maybe I can show them my software and see if they want to buy some :D

Offline Inscrutable

• Certifiable
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 03:35:54 AM »
Carl,
This is the way I've always run my HT.  If you don't have an HT bypass function/unity gain feature on your preamp, you just need to do your HT calibration at a known volume position on the pre, and then return it to that same position every time you watch the HT.

Offline Inscrutable

• Certifiable
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 03:38:25 AM »
And if it was a choice between a better 5.1 (higher quality speakers and amplification) and a lesser 7.1, I would go the former.  If the quality was the same, and your seating arrangements/geometry were set up well for it, then I would go for 7.1.  I haven't heard a striking improvement with most/any 7's over a well-implemented 5