Author Topic: Your Experience With Contact Enhancement Products?  (Read 4448 times)

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Your Experience With Contact Enhancement Products?
« on: August 23, 2021, 01:51:12 PM »
I really like the sound of my system, so now I’m just going around the edges for that last nth degree. These products intrigue me. I’ve never used one, but the idea seems sound enough.
My one major concern is mucking things up inside the connectors if the product becomes gummy, brittle, etc., etc. over time.
Your thoughts?
Here is one example- albeit an expensive one!
https://walkeraudio.com/product/quantum-silver-treatment-for-contacts/
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Your Experience With Contact Enhancement Products?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 04:09:13 PM »
The first thing to know about contacts is YOU NEED TO CLEAN THEM AT LEAST ONCE A YEAR!

Sorry for shouting but so many so called Audiophiles omit this very basic thing.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline James Edward

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 06:05:03 PM »
Yes- I posted about this a while back in preparing for some audiophiles coming over for a listen. As I was typing out my question regarding contact enhancement, I thought the same thing Bob- maybe it’s just the cleaning…
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2021, 06:29:14 PM »
I need t get back in the habit 😞 Have done it a few times and once with graphene. I only use a microfiber cloth nowadays
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rpf

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2021, 06:56:00 PM »
I remember reading that some contact enhancers were dangerous in some locations. Possibly tube pins among other spots. IIRC amp oscillation or shorting was possible. And IIRC, Walker's Silver treatment, while good for some places, was bad for others.

Jena Labs had a good and safe contact enhancer. Don't know if they still do.

I just clean everything with DeOxit, once a year for plated materials (and wipe it dry afterwards). Unfortunately a lot of my connectors are un-plated copper (like my 6 TWL power cords  :rofl: ) and require cleaning 2-3 times per year. The un-plated copper does have a more natural tonality though.
Mac Mini>Singxer SU-1>Lampizator Amber II>Rogue Cronus Magnum>Aural Acoustics Model B.
TWL PCs; Audio Envy ICs & SCs; Purist Digital IC; PI Audio USB Cable and Buss-Stop.
Sonos Connect, iFi SPDIF iPurifier, Schiit Modi Multibit, Audioengine 5+

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2021, 07:56:33 PM »
I remember reading that some contact enhancers were dangerous in some locations. Possibly tube pins among other spots. IIRC amp oscillation or shorting was possible. And IIRC, Walker's Silver treatment, while good for some places, was bad for others.

I just clean everything with DeOxit, once a year for plated materials (and wipe it dry afterwards). Unfortunately a lot of my connectors are un-plated copper (like my 6 TWL power cords  :rofl: ) and require cleaning 2-3 times per year. The un-plated copper does have a more natural tonality though.

Yes, there was a contact enhancer on the market back in the late 80s that was an oil based solution. I remember reading about people who used it too liberally on some tube sockets and the oils=d ended up sitting on top of the socket and forming a conductive bridge between adjacent pins which effectively formed a dead short between them. And when you are talking about tubes voltages that can run 200 - 400 volts or more, shorts between pins can cause quite a bit of damage.  :roll:

Does this ring a bell with anyone? I remember it came in a hypodermic needle type dispenser, I I'll be damned if I can  remember then name of the product.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 07:59:28 PM by tmazz »
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2021, 08:27:41 PM »

Yes, there was a contact enhancer on the market back in the late 80s that was an oil based solution. I remember reading about people who used it too liberally on some tube sockets and the oils=d ended up sitting on top of the socket and forming a conductive bridge between adjacent pins which effectively formed a dead short between them. And when you are talking about tubes voltages that can run 200 - 400 volts or more, shorts between pins can cause quite a bit of damage.  :roll:

Does this ring a bell with anyone? I remember it came in a hypodermic needle type dispenser, I I'll be damned if I can  remember then name of the product.

Years ago, there was a product called squalene oil that I’m quite sure was used for audio applications. Is that the stuff??
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2021, 08:31:46 PM »

Years ago, there was a product called squalene oil that I’m quite sure was used for audio applications. Is that the stuff??

I don't think so. I'll ask a couple of long time audio buddies tommorow.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2021, 09:28:05 PM »
Squalene oil is the major component of whale oil, but was first extracted from shark liver oil.  It was used in the old famed formula of Ampex 456 recording tape as a plasticizer.  It has a lot of uses in industry and is extracted from all types of sources.

Furutech contact enhancer contains squalene oil.

Jena Labs contact enhancer is a slightly diluted (using mineral spirits) silicon oil.

The advantage of these oils are that they are neutral oils (no petroleum) and tend to remain in place held by surface tension between the parts they are used with.  They exclude air and prevent oxidation for quite a while.

Graphene in a non-drying oil 'can be' good as long as the oil is non-migrating.  Graphene used with something like the base used in DeOxit would not be a good idea.

Oleic acid (olive oil) has been used with contacts, too.  It polymerizes with oxygen and can create an air excluding joint over time.

Then there is Stabilant 22.  It is a weird one in that it is non-conductive in the bottle, but conductive in thin films.  It is non-migrating, but I've heard of conductive issues with it when improperly applied.

The most important thing to remember with any contact enhancer is to use the absolute minimum that gets the job done.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2021, 10:56:58 PM »
Squalene oil is the major component of whale oil, but was first extracted from shark liver oil.  It was used in the old famed formula of Ampex 456 recording tape as a plasticizer.  It has a lot of uses in industry and is extracted from all types of sources.

Furutech contact enhancer contains squalene oil.

Jena Labs contact enhancer is a slightly diluted (using mineral spirits) silicon oil.

The advantage of these oils are that they are neutral oils (no petroleum) and tend to remain in place held by surface tension between the parts they are used with.  They exclude air and prevent oxidation for quite a while.

Graphene in a non-drying oil 'can be' good as long as the oil is non-migrating.  Graphene used with something like the base used in DeOxit would not be a good idea.

Oleic acid (olive oil) has been used with contacts, too.  It polymerizes with oxygen and can create an air excluding joint over time.

Then there is Stabilant 22.  It is a weird one in that it is non-conductive in the bottle, but conductive in thin films.  It is non-migrating, but I've heard of conductive issues with it when improperly applied.

The most important thing to remember with any contact enhancer is to use the absolute minimum that gets the job done.

Dave,
I have a very vague recollection that it was also sold to “revitalize “ very old records. May have even tried it once for that application. If so, the result wasn’t good 😔 I’m talking maybe 35+ years ago…
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2021, 09:07:20 PM »

I don't think so. I'll ask a couple of long time audio buddies tomorrow.

The product I was thinking of was call, oddly enough, Tweek.

It came in a small syringe and was a real PITA to use. You only needed to apply a drop, but even a small amount of pressure on the syringe plunger cause it to dispense a squirt, which got all over the place and made a mess. the Application of too much Tweek fluid also ran the risk of it migrating and causing shorts in your equipment. I eventually ended up squirting a small amount of a Q-Tip and using that to treat 3 or 4 RCA jacks. It got to be more trouble than it was worth so I stopped using it. Soon after than it was pulled from the market

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2021, 11:22:54 PM »

I don't think so. I'll ask a couple of long time audio buddies tomorrow.

The product I was thinking of was call, oddly enough, Tweek.

It came in a small syringe and was a real PITA to use. You only needed to apply a drop, but even a small amount of pressure on the syringe plunger cause it to dispense a squirt, which got all over the place and made a mess. the Application of too much Tweek fluid also ran the risk of it migrating and causing shorts in your equipment. I eventually ended up squirting a small amount of a Q-Tip and using that to treat 3 or 4 RCA jacks. It got to be more trouble than it was worth so I stopped using it. Soon after than it was pulled from the market

I’ve searched my memory banks and that one isn’t familiar. I think the squalene was the strangest one I ever bought….
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2021, 07:56:20 AM »
Here is a link to an AC thread about Tweek:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=4641.0

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2021, 08:03:20 AM »
   De-Oxit and Pro Gold is all you need. Once or twice a year. Clean contacts bring out the best in the top end. Sounding bright or hard lately ? If so a cleaning is in order. Do not use too much.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2021, 11:34:14 AM »
Here is a link to an AC thread about Tweek:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=4641.0

Wow…interesting reading…nasty stuff
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables