Author Topic: PLEASE Tell Me Someone Else Has Been This Stupid!  (Read 2022 times)

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
PLEASE Tell Me Someone Else Has Been This Stupid!
« on: July 05, 2021, 11:08:17 AM »
A couple of days ago, I felt my system was sounding a little ‘chesty’ and bass heavy. The sub had to be the culprit. So for the last two days I’ve been going over the sub settings- listening to certain tunes over and over with the various switches in and out, dials turned one way or another, adjusting the Q control, all without much headway. Generally making a mountain out of a molehill.
Until now, I had been very happy with how the sub had been sounding- I only heard it when it was called for.
I rarely sit in the sweet spot and listen critically- my system is in the living room, so I listen as I move about, cook, read, etc. But the seriousness of this bass issue took hold, and when I sat in the serious chair, I looked over and saw the ‘Loudness’ contour was engaged.  :duh  :duh  :duh
Yes. 5 seconds later, problem solved. As they say, I’ll never get those wasted hours back…
Luckily I had written down my sub settings. All is right in my stereo world again.

Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
Re: PLEASE Tell Me Someone Else Has Been This Stupid!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 11:59:01 AM »
Nobody has ever done that before in the history of the universe...

:rofl:

Show me someone that has or had an amp or receiver with a "loudness" control and I'll show you "that guy".  We've all done this methinks.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 12:23:16 PM »
A couple of days ago, I felt my system was sounding a little ‘chesty’ and bass heavy. The sub had to be the culprit. So for the last two days I’ve been going over the sub settings- listening to certain tunes over and over with the various switches in and out, dials turned one way or another, adjusting the Q control, all without much headway. Generally making a mountain out of a molehill.
Until now, I had been very happy with how the sub had been sounding- I only heard it when it was called for.
I rarely sit in the sweet spot and listen critically- my system is in the living room, so I listen as I move about, cook, read, etc. But the seriousness of this bass issue took hold, and when I sat in the serious chair, I looked over and saw the ‘Loudness’ contour was engaged.  :duh  :duh  :duh
Yes. 5 seconds later, problem solved. As they say, I’ll never get those wasted hours back…
Luckily I had written down my sub settings. All is right in my stereo world again.

Welcome to the club  :duh
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2021, 12:46:20 PM »
that is a funny story, "I'll never get those hours back" lol  :rofl:
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2021, 02:08:35 PM »
that is a funny story, "I'll never get those hours back" lol  :rofl:
:thumb:
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 05:36:07 AM »
To be honest, it's been a long while since I've had a "Loudness" contour on a piece of equipment...
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2021, 01:20:43 PM »
  Setting that sub is not a one day deal. After playing numerous recordings the brain kicks in again. You are NOT alone.
charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.