Author Topic: Alan Parsons on Audiophiles and Music  (Read 4180 times)

Offline steve

• Audiologist
Re: Alan Parsons on Audiophiles and Music
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2021, 09:33:03 PM »
For me, personally, it is all about realism. Does the voice sound real. How about the instruments. I want to feel as though I am actually there as I love how instruments sound live. I can enjoy the Vienna Symphony, Ben King, or Eva Cassidy as if I am in the audience live.

My brother played the coronet and I played a trombone and don't want them sounding weird. I enjoy the live orchestra or a jazz session, and I want to hear it anytime I wish, as if I am in the audience.

cheers

steve

My goal as well Steve. I love the chase. I love the experimenting. For me it will never end. I enjoy a state of the art system every night. It IS NOT about the gear. It is about pulling out the potential of the system to make the music I love sound more life like.
   If I had to compromise in a new room then I would choose the right speaker for that space with the best front end I could afford.

charles

Thanks Charles. I am glad you understand as I may not have been as clear as I should have been.

Concerning purchases, I do have an advantage over most in that I can check pre, amp, ics for absolute accuracy, so I obtained that first and then source, speakers, speaker wire in a see/saw to obtain most accurate/natural music possible. But that is not possible unless one understands which are the most accurate components. The average person won't be able to perform such tests.

That is why I believe there should be a reviewer who actually tests electronic components in a calibrated system instead of just sticking a component in a who knows what system and listening as reviewers do.

Of course, there would be a charge for such services, but would save the customer a substantial amount of time and money.

Cheers

steve
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 03:46:31 PM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2021, 10:32:17 AM »
  Steve a fruitful idea. Maybe hard to accomplish .

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2021, 12:25:19 PM »
For me, personally, it is all about realism. Does the voice sound real. How about the instruments. I want to feel as though I am actually there as I love how instruments sound live. I can enjoy the Vienna Symphony, Ben King, or Eva Cassidy as if I am in the audience live.

My brother played the coronet and I played a trombone and don't want them sounding weird. I enjoy the live orchestra or a jazz session, and I want to hear it anytime I wish, as if I am in the audience.

cheers

steve

My goal as well Steve. I love the chase. I love the experimenting. For me it will never end. I enjoy a state of the art system every night. It IS NOT about the gear. It is about pulling out the potential of the system to make the music I love sound more life like.
   If I had to compromise in a new room then I would choose the right speaker for that space with the best front end I could afford.

charles

Thanks Charles. I am glad you understand as I may not have been as clear as I should have been.

Concerning purchases, I do have an advantage over most in that I can check pre, amp, ics for absolute accuracy, so I obtained that first and then source, speakers, speaker wire in a see/saw to obtain most accurate/natural music possible. But that is not possible unless one understands which are the most accurate components. The average person won't be able to perform such tests.

That is why I believe there should be a reviewer who actually tests electronic components in a calibrated system instead of just sticking a component in a who knows what system and listening as reviewers do.

Of course, there would be a charge for such services, but would save the customer a substantial amount of time and money.

Cheers

steve

Steve,

A very interesting idea. I’m assuming the summary of the results wouldn’t be proprietary…
So if you did this for a client, what kind of written comments or numbers on a rating scale would you provide with your services?

Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2021, 02:40:33 PM »

cheers

steve

charles

Cheers

steve

Steve,

A very interesting idea. I’m assuming the summary of the results wouldn’t be proprietary…
So if you did this for a client, what kind of written comments or numbers on a rating scale would you provide with your services?

Nick

Right now, I am thinking a written review but upon further thought, how to compare to other brands since time frame is involved. A number system might be advantageous.

However, as more components are evaluated, a component's "number rating" may have to be adjusted to accomodate a more accurate component.

The third consideration is if proprietary, only one entity is helped at a time. That is not helpful for the public.

The fourth is if made public, every reviewer who reviews,,,, and probably every manufacturer plus shills involved in comparisons would attack credibility wherever and whenever possible. It would be the audio west, like the wild west on forums.

I would imagine that the possibility of being permanently banned would be a great possibility on some forums.

On second thought,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

steve

« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 02:52:19 PM by steve »
SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2021, 02:48:50 PM »

cheers

steve

charles

Cheers

steve

Steve,

Nick

Right now, I am thinking a written review but upon further thought, how to compare to other brands since time frame is involved.

The second problem is if proprietary, only one entity is helped at a time. That is not helpful for the public.

The third is if made public, every reviewer who reviews,,,, and probably every manufacturer plus shills involved in comparisons would attack credibility wherever and whenever possible. It would be the audio west, like the wild west on forums.

I would imagine that the possibility of being permanently banned would be a great possibility on some forums.

On second thought, maybe not such a great idea, unless a different way is possible.

steve

Steve, I think you  would get skinned alive. Because nobody, especially someone who bought one,  wants to hear that their gear isn't perfect.........  :roll:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2021, 03:03:40 PM »

cheers

steve

charles

Cheers

steve

Steve,

Nick

Right now, I am thinking a written review but upon further thought, how to compare to other brands since time frame is involved.

The second problem is if proprietary, only one entity is helped at a time. That is not helpful for the public.

The third is if made public, every reviewer who reviews,,,, and probably every manufacturer plus shills involved in comparisons would attack credibility wherever and whenever possible. It would be the audio west, like the wild west on forums.

On second thought, maybe not such a great idea, unless a different way is possible.

steve

Steve, I think you  would get skinned alive. Because nobody, especially someone who bought one,  wants to hear that their gear isn't perfect.........  :roll:

I am sure you are correct T. I was hoping some might like the truith though. However, some 12 years ago I remember when Dr. Kunchur presented his 5 year audio perception paper involving 3 national medical organizations, numerous universities, nuclear site scientists from all over the world, and peer reviewed, that a major attempt by audio entities/organizations/individuals attempted to discredit his paper via posting obvious false information, with some "audio" patents possibly being deemed worthless by the paper.

Upon further reflection,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

steve
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 03:15:52 PM by steve »
SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2021, 04:30:55 PM »

cheers

steve

charles

Cheers

steve

Steve,

Nick

steve

I am sure you are correct T. I was hoping some might like the truith though. However, some 12 years ago I remember when Dr. Kunchur presented his 5 year audio perception paper involving 3 national medical organizations, numerous universities, nuclear site scientists from all over the world, and peer reviewed, that a major attempt by audio entities/organizations/individuals attempted to discredit his paper via posting obvious false information, with some "audio" patents possibly being deemed worthless by the paper.

steve

Steve,

I think Tom’s right. It’s all quite fascinating to me, but some guys would definitely not handle your straightforward opinions if it were not what they wanted to hear. I thought our dac experiment was interesting and informative. I’d be curious what your opinion would now be of my BP dac with the Jupiter caps. But my curiosity would cost me shipping and 2-3 weeks of time and would take up your time as well.

Are you tinkering with new dacs or mods or are you completely settled on the schitt modi 2?
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2021, 12:06:26 PM »

cheers

steve

charles

Cheers

steve

Steve,

Nick

steve

steve

Steve,

I think Tom’s right. It’s all quite fascinating to me, but some guys would definitely not handle your straightforward opinions if it were not what they wanted to hear. I thought our dac experiment was interesting and informative. I’d be curious what your opinion would now be of my BP dac with the Jupiter caps. But my curiosity would cost me shipping and 2-3 weeks of time and would take up your time as well.

Are you tinkering with new dacs or mods or are you completely settled on the schitt modi 2?

Yes, still using the major upgraded Modi 2. It is nothing like the original sound. As you know I recently tested the Denafrips DAC an audiophile friend loaned to me and the upgraded Modi 2 was superior. -3db at 20hz spec is one of the few specs that mean something. Otherwise it is pretty descent.

The modified Modi 2 also left nothing behind when compared to the highly regarded Monarchy Tube DAC. They were identical sonic wise.

When playing the long version of "Take Five", about 2:30 on, a knob adjustment occurs in the recording, the drum starts to move even further back, and the recording room reflections become quite noticeable. Your there in the recording studio. (CD/redbook is better in this respect than YT premium)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmDDOFXSgAs

cheers

steve
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 10:34:02 PM by steve »
SAS Test Phono Stage