Author Topic: Roon 1.8 is coming  (Read 4165 times)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Roon 1.8 is coming
« on: February 03, 2021, 01:21:56 AM »
I know there’s a few of us here who use and appreciate Roon. I just received an email from them and this latest upgrade (coming next week) looks very exciting, especially for classic music lovers. Roon is such a useful tool and the company keeps innovating.
Here’s a link:

https://land.roonlabs.com/introducing-1-8?utm_source=email_blast&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=1_8_software_launch&utm_content=email1_aps

Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Roon 1.8 is coming
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 09:40:21 AM »
I got that email as well and am very much looking forward to the new version, especially the improved handling of Classical music, which is always the Achilles heel of any music cataloging system.

I know Roon is not cheap, but I dare say that dollar for dollar there is nothing else I have added to my system that has brought me more value. While investing in hardware got me better sound, adding Roon  to my system has really allowed me to more effortlessly discover and enjoy more music, which is ultimately what this hobby is all about, isn't it?
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 11:10:05 AM »
I jumped on Roon years ago when they announced support of Squeezebox endpoints - my farewell to LMS, a solution well ahead of it's time yet buried by Logitech despite valiant efforts in the open-source community to keep it going.    I've now been using Roon for over 5 years and have to say it has fundamentally changed how (and when) I listen to music, and equally important, how I learn about new music.  IMO, it is that good.   This new release promises to be another significant step in that direction.

If there's a downside to Roon is that it's made me a bit lazy.  I've got a very nice Kuzma vinyl rig and yet haven't spun an LP in over a year.   I've still got an awesome Oracle CD transport but haven't spun a CD in equally as long.  Is that a bad thing?  Sometimes I do miss the ritual of seeking an album, cleaning off the vinyl, cueing it up and then looking over the album jacket or any inserts provided.  Can't say I miss squinting at the CD liner at all.

Hey, I'm generally not a fanboy and tend to hold an increasingly cynical view of the world of late.   But Roon won my heart (and ears) and nothing I've tried over the years has come close. 

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 11:39:24 AM »
I jumped on Roon years ago when they announced support of Squeezebox endpoints - my farewell to LMS, a solution well ahead of it's time yet buried by Logitech despite valiant efforts in the open-source community to keep it going.    I've now been using Roon for over 5 years and have to say it has fundamentally changed how (and when) I listen to music, and equally important, how I learn about new music.  IMO, it is that good.   This new release promises to be another significant step in that direction.

If there's a downside to Roon is that it's made me a bit lazy.  I've got a very nice Kuzma vinyl rig and yet haven't spun an LP in over a year.   I've still got an awesome Oracle CD transport but haven't spun a CD in equally as long.  Is that a bad thing?  Sometimes I do miss the ritual of seeking an album, cleaning off the vinyl, cueing it up and then looking over the album jacket or any inserts provided.  Can't say I miss squinting at the CD liner at all.

Hey, I'm generally not a fanboy and tend to hold an increasingly cynical view of the world of late.   But Roon won my heart (and ears) and nothing I've tried over the years has come close.

Yes, Roon has made me lazy(er)...   :lol: One thing I do miss is seeing the back of the CD cover. There are significant tagging errors sometimes on these obscure CDs that I find on Roon.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 10:53:06 PM »
Overall, I’m enjoying the changes that Roon made in 1.8  There are quite a few negative comments on the Roon forum about it, but you can’t please everybody.....

One new feature that I find useful is that Roon tracks the number of hours I listened each week for the last four weeks. As I’ve been keeping a log to keep track of tube usage, it might be easier to do via Roon. Sometimes I forget to enter the hours manually at the end of the night.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 07:11:55 AM »
Lots to love in the new version 1.8.   I have had zero issues with it.   Unfortunately,  some have not been so lucky.   I do not doubt Roon will resolve most issues, as they've already done for some.   I must say I am dismayed at the level of vitriol I've seen in the Roon community forums.   I understand when people have issues with an update and need to post them to get resolution.  But I've seen far too many hateful posts with no redeeming value.   Seems like a lot of pentup anger out there.