Author Topic: amp recommendations  (Read 9691 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: amp recommendations
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2021, 05:19:53 PM »
Check out the Digital Amplifier Company. I have had a number of his amps over the last few years, with  the last being a 2-Cherry. They are powerful and clean without any of the negative characteristics attributed to digital amplifiers. The closest sound to SET in a SS amp I’ve ever come across. I sold the DAC amp since I was able to score an excellent pair of 300b monos that I had always wanted. Are the 300b amps better? I’ll just say that if I had the funds the DAC amps would still be around and some serious swapping would still be going on.

Reach out to Tommy at DAC he is a great guy to chat with and could make suggestions on which of his creations would suit you best.

https://www.cherryamp.com/

These are a very good deal and the seller is trustworthy:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=174490.0

Thanks. I’ll check it out. I’ve seen some DAC posts at AC.

Nick,

I heard the DAC that are listed in that AC add at Shadowlights a couple of years ago. they were switched into as system that we were listening to with tube amps and I was shocked at how little the character of the sound changed when we hooked up the Cherry amps. You would think that going from tubes to class D would be very noticeable but it really was not. Of course I can't say from that one limited exposure how they might do in your system, but at least at Shadowlight's I was very impressed with what I heard.

I have also heard Leo's Orchard Audio amps when he came to demo his gear at an AudioSyndrome meeting at my house. They were an earlier version than what he was selling now, but I have to say that they were very "not Class D sounding." And from everything I have read, he new amps are supposed to be even better.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2021, 09:13:56 PM »
Check out the Digital Amplifier Company. I have had a number of his amps over the last few years, with  the last being a 2-Cherry. They are powerful and clean without any of the negative characteristics attributed to digital amplifiers. The closest sound to SET in a SS amp I’ve ever come across. I sold the DAC amp since I was able to score an excellent pair of 300b monos that I had always wanted. Are the 300b amps better? I’ll just say that if I had the funds the DAC amps would still be around and some serious swapping would still be going on.

Reach out to Tommy at DAC he is a great guy to chat with and could make suggestions on which of his creations would suit you best.

https://www.cherryamp.com/

These are a very good deal and the seller is trustworthy:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=174490.0

Thanks. I’ll check it out. I’ve seen some DAC posts at AC.

Nick,

I heard the DAC that are listed in that AC add at Shadowlights a couple of years ago. they were switched into as system that we were listening to with tube amps and I was shocked at how little the character of the sound changed when we hooked up the Cherry amps. You would think that going from tubes to class D would be very noticeable but it really was not. Of course I can't say from that one limited exposure how they might do in your system, but at least at Shadowlight's I was very impressed with what I heard.

I have also heard Leo's Orchard Audio amps when he came to demo his gear at an AudioSyndrome meeting at my house. They were an earlier version than what he was selling now, but I have to say that they were very "not Class D sounding." And from everything I have read, he new amps are supposed to be even better.

Tom,

My only experience with class D amps is my ICEpower. It does a lot of things well. With my new cabling and nos tubes, I’ve appreciated the improvement, especially in the  textures and harmonics of music. Instruments sound more real than ever. Can any reasonably priced Class D amp (new or used) provide that, I have no idea. I have a hunch that the Audio Hungary amp or integrated would provide exactly what I want. But as I mentioned previously, the amp is heavy and well, there is the issue of 💰 💰. The DAC, Bosch and AVA have been mentioned. My hunch there is the AVA might come closest. I don’t like auditioning amps that I’m not reasonably certain I’d buy.

I’m going to keep reading...and thinking...and appreciate the suggestions I’ve received so far.

Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Jack

• Certifiable
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2021, 10:17:02 PM »
Nick

As you know I own the Mivera amp which is basically the same amp as yours with a fancier case.  With a good tube preamp in front of it there is really nothing it does wrong especially on the frequency extremes but as with the other three Class D amps I have owned an sold it doesn't really have any "soul" or warmth.  While the tube preamp helps it can only go so far.  In terms of long term listenability it just doesn't hold up to the SET 400, an Odyssey Kismet or my BHK 250.  The two hybrid Class D amps from PS Audio and the new Dragon from Rogue supposedly move closer with their tube input stages but I doubt they get all the way there.  I don't think moving from one Class D camp to another is going to get you where you want to go and unfortunately more powerful tube amps are expensive and heavy, just the nature of the beast. 
JVC QL-Y7 w/ Denon DL-301 Mk II
Vista Phono II
Jays Audio CDT3 Mk III
Supratek Cabernet
Kinki Studio EX-B7's
Holo Audio May KTE
Auralic Aries G1
Verity Otello
(2) Rythmik F12SE
TWL PC's
Audio Envy IC, PC, SC
Inakustik USB, I2S
PSA Stellar P3
Uberbuss

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2021, 11:01:39 PM »
Nick

As you know I own the Mivera amp which is basically the same amp as yours with a fancier case.  With a good tube preamp in front of it there is really nothing it does wrong especially on the frequency extremes but as with the other three Class D amps I have owned an sold it doesn't really have any "soul" or warmth.  While the tube preamp helps it can only go so far.  In terms of long term listenability it just doesn't hold up to the SET 400, an Odyssey Kismet or my BHK 250.  The two hybrid Class D amps from PS Audio and the new Dragon from Rogue supposedly move closer with their tube input stages but I doubt they get all the way there.  I don't think moving from one Class D camp to another is going to get you where you want to go and unfortunately more powerful tube amps are expensive and heavy, just the nature of the beast.

Jack,

I’m listening to a beautifully recorded album right now and your use of “soul” and “warmth” sums it up quite nicely. I may need to adjust my parameters a bit.

Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Jack

• Certifiable
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2021, 12:00:03 AM »
Nick

I don't know how you feel about Classical music and my knowledge is limited but listen to the first part of this CD on Qobuz or Tidal and tell me what you here in terms of "soul"

https://www.amazon.com/Dance-Cello-Concerto-Inbal-Segev/dp/B086Y6JGDM/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1T1RCQXR6UUEZ&dchild=1&keywords=anna+clyne+dance&qid=1611993392&sprefix=anna+clyne%2Caps%2C179&sr=8-1
Vista Phono II
Jays Audio CDT3 Mk III
Supratek Cabernet
Kinki Studio EX-B7's
Holo Audio May KTE
Auralic Aries G1
Verity Otello
(2) Rythmik F12SE
TWL PC's
Audio Envy IC, PC, SC
Inakustik USB, I2S
PSA Stellar P3
Uberbuss

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2021, 01:33:39 AM »
Nick

I don't know how you feel about Classical music and my knowledge is limited but listen to the first part of this CD on Qobuz or Tidal and tell me what you here in terms of "soul"

https://www.amazon.com/Dance-Cello-Concerto-Inbal-Segev/dp/B086Y6JGDM/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1T1RCQXR6UUEZ&dchild=1&keywords=anna+clyne+dance&qid=1611993392&sprefix=anna+clyne%2Caps%2C179&sr=8-1

Jack,

I’ll take a stab at this before calling it an evening...or should I say just about morning  💤 I’m not much of a classical music enthusiast. I played it via Roon and just played a bit of each cut. Overall, I didn’t care for the recording very much. It was a bit flat sounding in parts. I’ve heard cello recordings sound much better/richer on my system. The violins and cello were lacking in texture. I played a number of CDs tonight that were quite a bit better.
As to soul and warmth, this recording didn’t do it for me.

I took a look at the amps you mentioned. The BHK is a beast at 83 lbs and way over my budget...even used. But an Odyssey Kismet stereo in maybe a Khartago case or an AVA SET amp might be very nice. New or used pricing is quite reasonable. If you were leaning toward one brand, which might it be?

Thanks much,
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2021, 08:03:32 AM »
  Let me throw in another Black Ice [ Jolida] tubed amp. Would love to see ya get a APX 200 but price/wgt may be a factor. Do not sell Black Ice however heard them Impressive sound. For Class D only one amp I would recommend. Arion HS 500 hybrid class D. Uses a 6H30 input tube with custom not OEM class D output. I used them for the Pipe Dreams and Fritz. Quite good with Tubed Preamp, actually the one you have. Have fun.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Jack

• Certifiable
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2021, 08:22:22 AM »
Nick

I've owned four of Klaus' amps over the years with the most recent being the Kismet in the Khartago case and they never fail to impress.  After a while I sell and then come back again after a while.  At the moment it appears that Klaus is pretty backed up with a wait time that could be months unless you find one used.  I don't think you can go wrong with either with your preamp but if I had to choose right now it would probably be the SET going from memory as I didn't have them both in the house at the same time. Plus with Frank you do get the 30 day trial period.

Vista Phono II
Jays Audio CDT3 Mk III
Supratek Cabernet
Kinki Studio EX-B7's
Holo Audio May KTE
Auralic Aries G1
Verity Otello
(2) Rythmik F12SE
TWL PC's
Audio Envy IC, PC, SC
Inakustik USB, I2S
PSA Stellar P3
Uberbuss

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2021, 01:43:04 PM »
  Let me throw in another Black Ice [ Jolida] tubed amp. Would love to see ya get a APX 200 but price/wgt may be a factor. Do not sell Black Ice however heard them Impressive sound. For Class D only one amp I would recommend. Arion HS 500 hybrid class D. Uses a 6H30 input tube with custom not OEM class D output. I used them for the Pipe Dreams and Fritz. Quite good with Tubed Preamp, actually the one you have. Have fun.

charles

You have mentioned the Arion mono amps before. They must be very special. It would be an affordable purchase if I could buy used. What surprised me was your mention of the Black Ice amps. I knew about the name change from Jolida, but had not heard any rave reviews of the Black Ice products. I did a web search today and found out that Jim Fosgate is involved. I’m presuming you heard the Fusion F 100 monos. Do you recall the model?
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2021, 02:17:09 PM »
Thanks to all for the suggestions I’ve received here and via PM! Much appreciated. As I have a class D amp now, I’m inclined to go another direction. Because of budget considerations, I’m considering a new or used AVA SET 120, preferably used AVA SET 400, new/used VTA ST 70 or ST 120, Golden Tube SE 40 modded by Jeff at Sonic Craft. It is the “deluxe” mod that includes the Black Gate caps. The GT amp looks to be in beautiful condition and the seller is the original owner too. It is heavier than I’d like and it’s way on the east coast. Another contender would be the used Arion HS 500s. But used would be impossible to find and probably be more than I’d want to spend. Don’t know enough about Jolida/Black Ice to consider. Any of these would...I think...be fine with my Audio Hungary tube preamp.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2021, 02:39:23 PM »
If you're gonna look into Class D......

https://orchardaudio.com/bosc

I have to echo this recommendation.   I'm using the OrchardAudio PecanPi Streamer with the BOSC (now called Starkrimson) amps and am exceedingly impressed. 

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2021, 04:41:51 PM »
If you're gonna look into Class D......

https://orchardaudio.com/bosc

I have to echo this recommendation.   I'm using the OrchardAudio PecanPi Streamer with the BOSC (now called Starkrimson) amps and am exceedingly impressed.

I have no doubt that it’s quite good. I’m just leaning towards not doing another class D...
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2021, 04:57:59 PM »
Well, this bummed me out :(  Just spoke with the Golden Tube SE 40 owner. For starters, it weighs about 60 lbs. Not good for my back. Then there is the biasing issue. The amp needs to be laid on it’s side for about 30 minutes not connected to anything (I asked) There is a biasing harness and each tube needs to be biased...around 580 mv... and then the other tubes checked as the biasing of one will affect the others. So in order not to possibly screw my back up, I’d want help to put it on the counter and have my friend/neighbor stick around until I’ve set the bias and then help me place it back on the rack. I asked if there’s a warning light telling me if a tube is going south and there isn’t. So it’s a no go... So I’ll take a closer look now at the VTA amps and see if the biasing methodology is similar. At least those amps aren’t as heavy.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2021, 06:44:09 PM »
Nick I think you are going to have a hard time finding any stereo tube amp that ar much less than 50 lbs if for no reason other than the required transformers. Maybe you should think of a pair of tube mono blocks. I had a pair of Quicksilver Mid Monos that weighed a little under 30 lbs each. Very easy braising using an adjustment screw and an LED both easily located on the top of the chassis. They were very stable and never gave me any trouble. 40 wpc and under $2k for the pair, brand new. A google search will turn up lots of discussions about them.

They just might check off all of your boxes.

More info here:

https://www.lpgear.com/product/QUICKSILVERMID.html

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2021, 06:52:53 PM »
If you want to push the envelope a little the Bob Carver 275 is a great little single chassis amp. I heard it at CAF and thought it sounded better than his $9500 350 watt mono blocks.

It puts out 75 wpc and is speced at only 19 lbs (I don’t know how he was able to pull that off, that is Lee’s than most 75w s amps.) Unfortunately at $2750 it is a bit out of your budget, but if you can squeeze a few extra bucks to shed a considerable amount of weight it might be an option.

Info here:

https://jimclarkstereo.com/audioquest-bob-carver-elac-stereo-equipment/Bob-Carver-Crimson-275-Stereo-Vacuum-Tube-Amplifier-p115352773

(It’s so much fun spending other people money.  :D )
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 06:55:30 PM by tmazz »

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9