Author Topic: Tuner trouble  (Read 5767 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Tuner trouble
« on: July 29, 2008, 03:29:40 PM »
My signal strength fell off suddenly a couple days ago. I suffered through 30 minutes of Cleveland Orchestra Shostakovich 10th last night loaded with hiss and background noise. Today I climbed up on the roof and inspected the antenna, something I'm supposed to do every year anyway. I wanted to check for tight ground contacts and mounting lag bolts tight enough. All was well. The Radshack yagi has held up well in 18 months. Connections at the lightning arrestor were also just fine, down at ground level. Maybe I should have checked that first?  :duh

So I started thinking maybe something loose in the tuner. It was modded from 300ohm input to an F connector for 75 ohms, but the modder is a good shop, so I wasn't expecting anything wrong inside. When I went to unhook everything so I could take it out of the rack for inspection, the cheapo junk white coax extension that I was using came off in my hand, separated from its connector. The bad performance was lost signal ground from the junky wire. I stuck the junk in there as extension while I tried twisting the room 90 degrees. The room stayed twisted, but the wire never got replaced and finally failed under all that strenuous passing of RF signals. It must have been made like that, the wire has hardly been used for anything. It was junk on arrival. So I ordered 25 more feet of Blue Jeans Quad shield Belden wire with Canare ends. That's what I use coming down from the antenna, but it was too short to reach to new tuner location.

So now I have grounded Antenna > balun 300/75ohm transformer> 50 feet 1694 quad shield cable> Altellicon lightning arrestor at point of entry> 10 feet 1694A into the listening room> Jensen capacitive ground buster > then another 25 feet of 1694 to the tuna.

I underestimated the value of good RF cables and connectors. Quad shield cable is nice to have for high end FM listening. It directly lowers noise floor! The Blue jeans cables are just about the best quality you can get and they are cheap. $31 delivered for the 25 ft extension!

Another day, another audio adventure!
Rich

Offline richidoo

Re: Tuner trouble
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 04:46:07 PM »
Typical of BlueJeans, my tracking number showed up only 2 hours after ordering, and all cables are custom made to order! Amazing service.
Rich

Offline spudco

• Seeking Help
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 05:19:36 AM »
I love the Blue Jeans Cable folks.  Just bought a DVI to VGA cable for my Mac Mini to Plasma connection.  Great stuff at great prices.  Got mine delivered in 2 days.

I even got to talk about the Hammond Organ I'm restoring with one of their engineers who plays keyboards!

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 05:23:49 AM »
Not so sure I want to deal with a company that infringes on Monster's patents, though... :rofl: 
I use them for anything I can... just because they took Monster to the mat.
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 09:55:01 AM »
As expected, the new cable showed up within 48 hours, and is very nice. What I was not expecting was the improvement in sound when that last 10 feet of walmart shit was replaced with 25 feet of Belden's finest. Antenna cable makes a big difference!!

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 02:23:06 PM »
That's comforting to know.... I went through a lot of trouble to be sure I had the shortest run, best cable, and direct connection from antenna to tuner... whew!  I haven't heard it yet but I expect it to be mighty nice. soon... soon.. ;)
I really enjoy listening to music.