Author Topic: Capacitors  (Read 41271 times)

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Capacitors
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2013, 07:21:41 PM »
OK, so the system is soundiung hard and overly bright on both CD and vinyl. So I pulled the Relcap RT bupasses on the OIMP's and now things are back to normal. Open, musical, spacious, etc. Just confirmed what I think of the RT's despite that nice review of them. Also confirmed what I like about the OIMP cap.

Now for the Obbligato's in the phono stage. They have opened up but don't really sound like anything special. Overall the Multicap PPFX caps are nicer. These are the better Multicaps and are supposedly some kind of teflon. I'll give them some more time, but I doubt that they will stay.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

WireNut

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2013, 10:52:19 PM »
 So it sounds like you really do like the OIMP's and they are to stay in your preamp.

If you did a search for "Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 photos" you will see 4 large caps in the center. They are 3.0 UF Multicap PPFX's.

Those are the four caps I'm planing on replacing with the OIMP's. I don't have a semantic so I'm thinking those are input/signal coupling locations and not outputs cap locations.

An engineer at Sonic Frontiers did say that replacing those 4 caps with OIMP's will take the SFL-2 into the 21st century.
Meaning he considers the multicaps out dated.

WireNut

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2013, 10:58:38 PM »
I can't find any other Oil caps or PIO caps that will fit that small space. Only the V-cap OIMP's.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2013, 06:19:58 AM »
Found this set of reviews, but they are all in relation to crossovers and not as coupling caps.

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

Yeah, the OIMP's are very nice to my ears.

Offline Face

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2013, 07:42:39 AM »
Found this set of reviews, but they are all in relation to crossovers and not as coupling caps.
Correct, which really doesn't help much if you're curious how any of these would sound in your amp or preamp. 

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2013, 08:37:36 AM »
OK, so the system is sounding hard and overly bright on both CD and vinyl. So I pulled the Relcap RT bypasses on the OIMP's and now things are back to normal. Open, musical, spacious, etc. Just confirmed what I think of the RT's despite that nice review of them. Also confirmed what I like about the OIMP cap.

Now for the Obbligato's in the phono stage. They have opened up but don't really sound like anything special. Overall the Multicap PPFX caps are nicer. These are the better Multicaps and are supposedly some kind of teflon. I'll give them some more time, but I doubt that they will stay.

Those Obbligatos are not the Cats meow. For your phono stage using the Dynavector I would recco a neutral or Mundorf S/O. The Deulund alexandra as well. Bob as you know the Apogees are on the warm side of neutral. The street word is to use Poly caps when possible. Have fun.

charles
    For years the designer showed the speakers with a cool sounding amp. Spectral that is.
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2013, 12:01:25 PM »
I have very real size constraints in the phono stage. Mundorfs are too big. Duelands are out of the question. So far the teflon multi caps are the best I fouond that fit, but that doesn't mean I will stop searching.  :?

WireNut

« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2013, 06:40:10 PM »
I have very real size constraints in the phono stage. Mundorfs are too big. So far the teflon multi caps are the best I fouond that fit.

You are in the same situation I am with my Line Stage.
 Check out the AudioCap Theta's on Sonic Craft's Site.

I just set up my TT after pulling it out of my closet after 15 years. Now I need a phono stage for approx $100.00 to $750.00
 My equipment is Sonic Frontiers, audio research, cambridge.
I'm looking into Jolida JD9 or Hagerman DIY kit. Could really use some advise on any others. I'm back from the grinds of digital after 20 years.

Steve

« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 06:49:29 PM by WireNut »

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2013, 06:23:08 AM »
The Hagerman Coronet II kit is very good, but is MM only. There are several mods that I would consider "essential" if you are going to build it yourself. These are documented in various Hagerman threads at AC.

Then there is the used market, where you might be able to get someting pretty nice. But first you have to decide "SS or tubes". Tubes will be more expensive and you are less likely to find a MC phono stage that way. You would need a step up or a head amp (I recommend the Hagerman Piccolo for an inexpensive yet excellent solution).

On another note, Partsconnexion is running a sale on Dueland Cast coupling caps. A 1.0uF is now $223/ea instead of the usual $600/ea. Such a deal!

« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 06:32:06 AM by BobM »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2013, 08:12:54 AM »
I have very real size constraints in the phono stage. Mundorfs are too big. So far the teflon multi caps are the best I fouond that fit.

You are in the same situation I am with my Line Stage.
 Check out the AudioCap Theta's on Sonic Craft's Site.

I just set up my TT after pulling it out of my closet after 15 years. Now I need a phono stage for approx $100.00 to $750.00
 My equipment is Sonic Frontiers, audio research, cambridge.
I'm looking into Jolida JD9 or Hagerman DIY kit. Could really use some advise on any others. I'm back from the grinds of digital after 20 years.

Steve

Steve, VISTA SS phono stage. Kaboom for the buck.  Another to consider with your preamp is the older PS audio if you can find one used. The SF phono stage as well again if you can find one. Have fun.

charles

Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2013, 03:34:37 PM »
Also soundsmith makes excellent SS phono pres for not a lot of money.
I have the vista, which i love, but the soundsmith phono pre just destroyed it!
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

WireNut

« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2013, 04:11:30 PM »
Also soundsmith makes excellent SS phono pres for not a lot of money.
I have the vista, which i love, but the soundsmith phono pre just destroyed it!

Well I was getting ready to purchase the Vista but ran across a
soundsmith MMP3 for $250.00. The price is right.
Should I go for it?

Offline rpf

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2013, 06:49:35 PM »
Has anyone heard anything about the new Mundorf Evo line?

Especially the Evo Silver/Gold/Oil?

http://www.hificollective.co.uk/components/mcap_evo_sgo.html

They are a bit taller but a lot shorter than many other similarly rated caps. Supposedly the next step down from the Supreme line but significantly less expensive.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 06:58:54 PM by rpf »
Mac Mini>Singxer SU-1>Lampizator Amber II>Rogue Cronus Magnum>Aural Acoustics Model B.
TWL PCs; Audio Envy ICs & SCs; Purist Digital IC; PI Audio USB Cable and Buss-Stop.
Sonos Connect, iFi SPDIF iPurifier, Schiit Modi Multibit, Audioengine 5+

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2013, 07:31:39 PM »
Yes go for the soundsmith, I have had both in my system and I am friends with Boris of Vista.
Boris is agreat guy but the Soundsmith is better by a large degree.
When you want to move to moving coil call me, that pre with a good stepup(like Slagle) will be killer, trust me
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2013, 08:55:51 AM »
Yes go for the soundsmith, I have had both in my system and I am friends with Boris of Vista.
Boris is agreat guy but the Soundsmith is better by a large degree.
When you want to move to moving coil call me, that pre with a good stepup(like Slagle) will be killer, trust me

Mikey knows his stuff in this matter. If he says the Soundsmith is better it is. For $250 jump in.

charles