Author Topic: NOS tubes  (Read 5183 times)

TomM

NOS tubes
« on: June 26, 2010, 04:09:41 PM »
Has anyone ever felt that nos tubes are sometimes too soft sounding in modern equipment.

TomM

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: NOS tubes
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 07:32:32 PM »
Depends on what you mean by "modern."  I really like 60's vintage NOS (specifically Sylvvania) in my AI Modulus 2D (circa 1990).  I considered it modern when I bought it 20 years ago.

Bigfish8

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 04:58:41 AM »
Has anyone ever felt that nos tubes are sometimes too soft sounding in modern equipment.

TomM

What NOS tubes are you trying: 6SN7, 12AU7 etc.?  Most of us that use tube gear have a box of old tubes we have rolled trying to find the perfect flavor. 

Keep rolling!

Ken

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 06:19:41 AM »

TomM

Tom,
I found just the opposite, especially with the new mesh plate variants from China. To me they sound too lush, too romantic, soft... In other words, very colored!

My experience is that the golden age of tube manufacturing really had their act together (especially Western Electric with their crazy QC / QA) even though today's manufacturing should be better. Perhaps some of the secrets & "lost art" of tube manufacturing disappeared long ago...

My $0.02,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 11:30:53 AM »
Pete,

I don't know if the effect you are talking about is limited to tubes.We have gone from an economy where the goal used to be to build things as well as we could to a throw away economy where the thought not how well can I make this but rather how cheaply can I make this before people will stop buying it. We have gone from having pride in a quality product to looking nowhere further than this quarters earnings report.

Besides that Vintage Western Electric products have always been in a league of their own. Lets remember that most all Western Electric were never sold to the general public. Western Electrics main reason for being was to be the equipment supplier for the Bell System. With very few exceptions, everything they manufactured was for internal consumption by AT&T's operating telephone company's. When something broke, they were the ones tat had to buy another one. And the Bell System standards had no tolerance for system failures (The standard for availability for telephone switches was no more than 60 seconds of down time every 20 years!) Given these two things it is no wonder that the WE QC/QA  were so crazy. Also keep in mind that during this time the telephone industry operated as a regulatory utility with cost plus pricing standards so there was no need to cut corners on what they spent on building the network.

So it is was kind of a double whammy. product quality was a much higher priority back then, but WE just took it to a level that even back then was unheard of in outside industry (with the exception of maybe mil spec products.

I'm not sure that the secrets of tube manufacturing have disappeared as much as the desire to manufacture first rate tubes (or rather willingness to pay for what it would take to make them as good as they were in the old days.)

Tom
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 11:37:32 AM by tmazz »
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 10:28:18 AM »
 Depends Tom. Siemens, RFT, Telefunken are a lively sound. Amperex, Tungsol. Mullard and RCA are richer sounding with the RCA being the richest and Amperex the liveliest of the warm sounding tubes.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

TomM

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 06:11:51 PM »
Thanks for everyones input.The tubes I'm talking about are Mullard ECC88/6DJ8/6922.

TomM

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 07:10:03 AM »
Thanks for everyones input.The tubes I'm talking about are Mullard ECC88/6DJ8/6922.

TomM

If this is for Sonic Frontiers a Amprex Global NOS 6DJ8 would be reccomended. Telefunken if you can find them. If you do be prepared to spend some mulla. Seimens as well might work for you. I have some to bring over for a demo if you like. Lesley has a bunch of Amperex I believe for sale.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.