Author Topic: My Manley Mahi Mahi Arrives Today!  (Read 11053 times)

theraven

Re: My Manley Mahi Mahi Arrives Today!
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2010, 08:53:40 AM »
I am fairly new to this web site and just happened upon your comments about the Manley Mahi Mahis and was wondering if you still have them and, if so, how you now feel about them.  I have owned and greatly enjoyed the Stingray for a couple of years and have been wondering if the Mahis, coupled with an active pre-amp, might offer an improvement in sound over what I now have.  Understand that what I have now sounds great, but I am always interested in making things sound better if I can do it at a reasonable cost.  I didn't know if you had possibly compared the Mahis with the Stingray and, if so, what was you take on the differences between the two.

Raven

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2010, 10:51:02 AM »
Welcome to AudioNervosa Raven. Glad to have you here.

Mike (Deton Nation) is not on AudioNervosa right now. Hopefully he will come back soon.

Offline Bunky

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2010, 04:11:29 PM »
I have had the Mahi's for a little while and they are very quick with a punchy bottom end that suprised me for such tiny (EL84) power tubes. i also prefer Mikes setting of triode with the minumum feedback setting used. my personal tastes lean towards a more liquid midrange than the Mahi's present . i cannot find fault with the Mahis at all but it is pretty safe to say that ultimately they are not my cup of tea. i just bought a VTL ST-150 with 150 wpc in tetrode and 90 wpc in triode. Luke Manley recomends 92db or higher loudspeakers while running in triode mode to get the best results from this amp. my Sonatina 2's are rated at 93db and should have good synergy with the ST-150.i should get the VTL by the end of this week. i offered The Raven in a PM a chance to listen to the Mahi's in his system.my offer still stands.thanks....WCW III
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa