Electro Stimulation Ward > Signals and Noise

What are your favorite IC's and why?

<< < (9/9)

shaizada:
Actually, I am really curious to see Double Ugly post his impressions as well in comparison to his reference cables.

Double Ugly:

--- Quote from: "shaizada" ---Actually, I am really curious to see Double Ugly post his impressions as well in comparison to his reference cables.
--- End quote ---
The second pair of ICs were good, but in truth didn't fare as well as the first.  A third version (in just over a month :shock:) was never sent, nor were the oft-promised "amazing!" speaker cables.

FWIW, here is a snippet from the e-mail I sent Grover -

--- Quote ---Kandy and I finally had a chance to compare the cables tonight, and  though it was closer in some ways than I'd anticipated, the Indra are  simply better in my system.

Specifically, with the Indra the highs were clearer (most apparent on  well-recorded piano material, but noticeable on other material -  cymbals and triangles specifically), the bass was cleaner (less  obvious bass, but clearer and more articulate), and there was more  depth and organic presence in the midrange.

Other comments included the soundstage being wider and deeper (Kandy  specifically mentioned the feeling of being surrounded by one of her  favorite recordings), the Indra making the instruments "more real" or  removing a veil (this was noticeable on virtually every decent  recording this week), and finally the Indra seemed to make each  instrument more 'visible' without negatively affecting the  homogeneous nature of the presentation (i.e. all instruments were  clearly separate and defined, but the sections all came together  musically as one instead of sounding like a group of isolated  performers).

--- End quote ---

As I said above, the now (at least) 2 version-old pair of ICs were better than the second in our estimation.  I have no idea how the 3rd (or 4th, or whatever) iteration compares.

-Jim

Carlman:
I've been through the last 3 versions and it went like this:

1st: good, detailed, extended, but had a slight 'edge' or hardness in the highs.  These are black.

2nd: better, same as above but no edge. (these were white with black heatshrink)

3rd: best, detailed and extended but with more midrange clarity and instrument separation... a well-balanced sound.... very transparent and fast without any edginess. (these are white with white heatshrink and are the ones being delivered as part of the group buys)

Black Sand Cable:

--- Quote from: "Carlman" ---3rd: best, detailed and extended but with more midrange clarity and instrument separation... a well-balanced sound.... very transparent and fast without any edginess. (these are white with white heatshrink and are the ones being delivered as part of the group buys)
--- End quote ---

I agree with your thoughts. These are by far and away the best Grover has done to date.

Grover, run with this design for at least a year before any further updates.....trust me on this! If you want to continue to improve, do it behind the scenes and in a year or so, launch a revision if you feel you have to.

Just my two cents. :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version