Author Topic: Need External Cd/DVD Drive  (Read 3069 times)

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Need External Cd/DVD Drive
« on: January 14, 2020, 04:53:27 PM »
Please recommend an external drive for my friend's computer. The internal drive no longer works... He is not a computer geek, so a simple plug 'n play would be best. He would be using it to rip cd's to his hard drive, and burn music cd's for playback on a cd player. Thanks for any recommendations.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Need External Cd/DVD Drive
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 05:24:11 PM »
PS- The recommendation doesn't have to be all that specific- my feeling is that most would fit the bill, but I don't want to recommend an outright dog or inappropriate drive. He has Windows 10 pc. Thanks.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs

Offline Jack

• Certifiable
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 05:41:17 PM »
Agree with HAL the ASUS drives are always a safe bet.  It's even cheaper though on Amazon so easier to get replacement if a problem occurs.

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Compatible-SDRW-08D2S-U-BLK-AS/dp/B006HUMYCO/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1V9T2318AHHXU&keywords=asus+external+cd%2Fdvd+drive+for+laptop&qid=1579052337&sprefix=asus+external+cd%2Caps%2C164&sr=8-3
JVC QL-Y7 w/ Denon DL-301 Mk II
Vista Phono II
Jays Audio CDT3 Mk III
Supratek Cabernet
Kinki Studio EX-B7's
Holo Audio May KTE
Auralic Aries G1
Verity Otello
(2) Rythmik F12SE
TWL PC's
Audio Envy IC, PC, SC
Inakustik USB, I2S
PSA Stellar P3
Uberbuss

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 04:34:38 PM »
Agree with HAL the ASUS drives are always a safe bet.  It's even cheaper though on Amazon so easier to get replacement if a problem occurs.

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Compatible-SDRW-08D2S-U-BLK-AS/dp/B006HUMYCO/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1V9T2318AHHXU&keywords=asus+external+cd%2Fdvd+drive+for+laptop&qid=1579052337&sprefix=asus+external+cd%2Caps%2C164&sr=8-3

ASUS has been my go to company for computer parts all the way back to 90s when I was building PCs from scratch and cannot say that I ever had a bad product from them.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline TrueAudio

• Seeking Help
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 10:25:52 PM »
Please recommend an external drive for my friend's computer. The internal drive no longer works... He is not a computer geek, so a simple plug 'n play would be best. He would be using it to rip cd's to his hard drive, and burn music cd's for playback on a cd player. Thanks for any recommendations.
Plextor PX-230A
Plextor PX-740A
Lite-On 16P9S
Lite-On 1693S 
Lite-On SOHR-5238S
Aopen CRW3248
ASUS DVD-E616A (MUST be *A* model)
ASUS DVD-RW 24B1ST
TEAC DC-516G (NOTE, *NOT* DV-516G)
Samsung SM-348B
Samsung SH-S182D
Samsung SE-S224Q
Sony DRU-830A

You'll need to buy an external IDE to USB 5.25" enclosure for all of the above except for the Samsung SE-S224Q.  None of these drives are manufactured anymore so you'll have to look on Ebay.  I recommend buying a NOS drive, or new, open box.  I've done a lot of research on drives like this literally for years, so I just saved whoever is looking for this type of info a huge amount of time =)  Enjoy.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 10:28:56 PM by TrueAudio »

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2020, 07:59:52 AM »
You'll need to buy an external IDE to USB 5.25" enclosure for all of the above except for the Samsung SE-S224Q.  None of these drives are manufactured anymore so you'll have to look on Ebay.  I recommend buying a NOS drive, or new, open box.  I've done a lot of research on drives like this literally for years, so I just saved whoever is looking for this type of info a huge amount of time =)  Enjoy.

Curious as to why you only recommend older, OOP options(?) There are plenty of these things currently in production.
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline TrueAudio

• Seeking Help
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2020, 08:58:42 AM »

Curious as to why you only recommend older, OOP options(?) There are plenty of these things currently in production.
The ones I listed have had a lot more testing done on them on various sites like cdrinfo.com and cdrlabs.com and cdrlabs.pl.  It seems no one is really interested these days in performing the same in depth DAE tests like they used to do years ago.  All of the drives I've used were manufactured about 15+ years ago.