Author Topic: Squeeze box modifications  (Read 3772 times)

Offline steve

• Audiologist
Squeeze box modifications
« on: September 03, 2007, 07:31:00 AM »
I was wondering if anyone knows if an output cap is used in the mods, and what value?

Thanks.
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Squeeze box modifications
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 08:22:46 AM »
I refer to this post on slim forum once in a while:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/archive/index.php/t-23687.html

Don't know if anything of value there, maybe worth a look

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 09:51:55 AM »
(I modified my post.)

Thanks Rich. I see the brands and values. This mod seems a little lacking, 3uf and all. Hope it is a bypass cap and not the full cap.

"Depends a bit on the input resistance of the connected device. See the High Pass Filter.xls spreadsheet in the zip attached to the original post. With a 50,000 input resistance to an amplifier, a 3 microFarad cap would have an Fo (down 3dB or equal to a 50% frequency pass) at 1.1 Hertz. Supposedly anywhere between Fo of 1 to 5 Hertz should be fine for HiFi coupling. However, if you have the room and $, I suspect there is no reason not to err on the large side. (Anyone feel there is an acoustic issue with a larger than needed cap?)"

Rules of thumb mentioned above are inaccurate. Depends on the cap brand and other factors. That rule could make the difference between a top notch sounding unit and an OK sounding one. In otherwards, varied results.

Anyway, for newbies, always be careful of what you read and believe.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 02:49:33 PM by steve »
SAS Test Phono Stage

jrebman

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 07:14:20 PM »
Steve,

First, RWA no longer does SB mods -- and hasn't for a while now.

The older SB2 (I have one) has more room for larger output caps and the Bolder mods take advantage of this.  As the room is limited in the SB3, generally, non-polar blackgate NXs are used, bypassed with a higher quality cap.

I only "believe" what I hear, what I read, after passing through my own BS filter, only either interests me enough to try it, or not, and if I try it and I don't hear it... back it goes.

The Bolder mods are the real deal, and if I weren't certain of that I wouldn't be sending another unit (SB3) and the top-of-the-line power supply back for mods/upgrades.

I'm an EE by education, and much of what I hear in my own system goes well beyond what I learned, and I have absolutely no explanation for it, and no matter how sophisticated the test environment, equipment, etc. are, I'm quite sure that at this point in our collective understanding of scientific principles, there is nobody who has the whole picture.  Parts of it maybe, but the unified theory still eludes the human brain at it's current level of development.

-- Jim

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 07:41:36 PM »
Agreed.  They're the real deal.  As I said before, we compared the old full analog mod with ultimate PS to a 2 box Wadia and it was as good or better.  The new Statement mod with new PS and the modded Burson Buffer is on a completely different level. 

I'm not one to rush into buying anything but after hearing this, I told Wayne on the spot to build me one and one of the Bursons.  With any luck, I'll be using both (guaranteed at least the Statement SB) at RMAF.  Come hear for yourself.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 10:08:44 PM »
.... I'm quite sure that at this point in our collective understanding of scientific principles, there is nobody who has the whole picture.  Parts of it maybe, but the unified theory still eludes the human brain at it's current level of development.

Very nice Jim. We stumble into most of what we know by experiment. Most theories are proven wrong when nature has her say in an experiment. That's the real joy of discovery, accepting the mistake as a watershed moment. You can find some that in this hobby if you're open minded.

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 04:34:48 AM »
(I modded my post.)

Thanks guys for the input.

Because of limited space, I would also use the blackgates, larger value as well.

That one small cap in the article alone could easily be responsible for one preamp sounding leaner than another preamp. (Different input Zs of different preamps.)

My main point, agreeing with you guys, is do not necessarily believe 'rules of thumb', especially the one mentioned on the link, website. 

There are alot of non technical people who depend on advice from others, and many will probably hear about this poor 'rule of thumb' and would believe it if not informed otherwise.

Any general price estimate on the SB3?

« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 02:52:35 PM by steve »
SAS Test Phono Stage

jrebman

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 06:14:08 AM »
I've personally thrown out most of those rules of thumb when it comes to cap bypassing -- even orders of magnitude aren't necessarily the best combinations.  Once my head amp is done I'm going to be able to experiment with this very easily.

Stock SB3s are $299, and I believe analog mods start at about $500, digital only, probably about half that, but don't quote me on that.  Current top of the line SB3 mods from Bolder are $1k without bybees (though I'm not sure Wayne is recommending bybees or not, or if he has even tested them in this latest mod revision.)

HTH,

Jim

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 08:22:30 AM »
Thanks for the info Jim.

The reason I mentioned the 'rule of thumb' is that I have seen it on a couple of forums, including direct advice given to me in the lab on AC. Seems to be on its way to becoming 'fact' among some.

Take care and thanks again Jim.
SAS Test Phono Stage