Author Topic: Humility  (Read 6758 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Humility
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2007, 06:16:57 PM »
Amps make such a huge difference... If you can afford one that makes magic, it'll make magic on just about any speaker in my experience.  Hantra's 501's are one of those amps that do that.  My 402 is no slouch but just not as special in my opinion.  To get better than the 501's takes leaping into the 20,k range.  ouch. 

Just keep your eyes open on the used market and snag the big amps when you get a chance... You never know when you might get lucky.  Unfortunately, it takes a long time to save up the mad-money to even snag a good deal on some of the big Ayre/AR/etc. deals... That is, unless your wife doesn't mind you putting it on the card and 'paying it backward'... haha...
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Humility
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2007, 09:23:53 AM »
While having a 'dream' system has always been in my thoughts...over the last few years I have become rather comfortable with what I currently have.

Could my system be improved??? No doubt, but at what cost  :shock:. As long as I can sit back...with a good recording...and feel as though the performer is in the room with me, then I am pretty well satisfied. I'm at the point where I would have to listen to a prospective component within the confines of my system/room. If my jaw dropped, then it would go on the 'list'. However, if it were incremental, then I would probably pass.

I have yet to address room acoustics...unlike many of you...so, I would probably be more inclined to invest my efforts to that end, before spending kilobucks on new equipment. PLUS...I need to win the lottery to be able to do that, anyway  :lol:!
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?