Author Topic: Mono or Stero - What yields the truth ?  (Read 2901 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Mono or Stero - What yields the truth ?
« on: August 20, 2007, 06:31:30 AM »
Ever listen to some old Mercury or RCA Jazz mono recordings compared to the stero versions?  What works for you and why?

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Mono or Stero - What yields the truth ?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 06:04:15 PM »
I've found that music recorded in stereo sounds great played back in stereo.  Additionally, mono recordings are really best played in mono.  That is the truth I live with every day. 

The truth is not only difficult to define but relative and subjective in this hobby.  Good luck finding your truth.

;)
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 06:41:51 AM »
I've found that music recorded in stereo sounds great played back in stereo.  Additionally, mono recordings are really best played in mono.  That is the truth I live with every day. 

The truth is not only difficult to define but relative and subjective in this hobby.  Good luck finding your truth.

;)

My point was that the same recording played in mono or stero has a different presentation of the soundstage due to the miking techniques. Some stero recordings are miked in a way that it seems artificial or HiFi sounding. Take an old RCA Living Voice recorcing for example. The sound emanates from the middle with a continuity in sound as opposed to the sometime ping pong effect of the stero version. IMO the older Mono recordings reveal a truer sense of the Orchestra or small Jazz group than the same mix in stero. However this is not always true. A well miked stero rendition will offer a 3D type effect creating a sense of time and space.
    Today multiple track recordings with instruments and voice recorded separtley and mixed back to fporm the whole is sometimes not very well done. Then again when the recording engineer gets it right its pretty close to the real deal. Go figure. I guesss it depends on the process and who is doing it.
    If you can listen to a mono recording through a mono cart. and the preamp set to mono of say that RCA we might all be very suprised as to the realism it presents. Mono done right can be a wonderfull experience sometimes more so than the stero rendition. 

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 10:05:01 AM »
It's seems to me you are saying when recording is done right it can sound very good in mono or stereo.  I agree.
I really enjoy listening to music.