Author Topic: about breaking in my Antelope Zodiac dac  (Read 32630 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: about breaking in my Antelope Zodiac dac
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2015, 05:20:11 AM »
I had read a few reviews of the Gold and one guy said he noticed improvement still at 1400 hours and I thought he was crazy. But he may be quite correct.

Does not surprise me. Those Teflon caps are a bitch to break in.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2015, 10:49:07 AM »
Well, after I passed 500 hours, I haven't been keeping track of the break in hours any longer. But I'm probably at 650 - 700 by now and this Antelope dac continues to improve .... and amaze.  More refined, more space around voices and instruments and less sibilance. I had read a few reviews of the Gold and one guy said he noticed improvement still at 1400 hours and I thought he was crazy. But he may be quite correct. Things sound so good now I really don't need to tinker all that much. But what would be the fun of that?? Besides, it is my goal to complete my system to reference quality (within reason $$).

Werd,  I heard back from the Atlas dealer and the Mavros goes for $484 for one meter. That's a bit pricey for me and I can get a one meter from Audio Sensibilty in Canada for $180 shipped. So I'll be trying that and The Ed Smith digital from MG Audio. Haven't ordered anything yet with the holidays and the hectic shipping pace.

Hey Nick, let me know if you want to temporary trade the Ed smith for the Atlas when you are done. We can swap for awhile. No time lines or hurries just something to think about.
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2015, 01:20:07 PM »
Hey Werd,
I'd be happy to do that. Might be a little tricky with the 30 day audition
limit, but I'm sure we can work it out. That's part of what makes this hobby fun !
I'll keep you posted on what cable arrives at what time
Thanks!!
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Werd

« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2015, 04:55:37 PM »
I live up in Canada. It is still doable but something to think about for shipping and timelines.   :thumb:
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2015, 07:05:35 PM »
I just tried sending a money order to Audio Sensibilty in Canada via UPS and it's a no-go due to UPS rules re sending cash or equivalents. Nothing is simple any more. Once I get the Ed Smith cable, I'll ask Greg if I can send it to you and allow extra time on the audition.  I will try and make this work as exchanging gear is lots of fun and a part of this hobby
 :thumb:
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline richidoo

« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2015, 07:57:33 PM »
Don't forget about customs tax also, anything coming into the US gets zapped, ~10% iirc?

NAFTA SCHMAFTA free trade bullshit

Offline Werd

« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2015, 08:04:57 PM »
One get around it by using USPS/Canada Post with no insured value. You can still get the tracking number. If you give it to Fed Ex or UPS expect an anal ripping at your door.  :rofl:
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2015, 08:05:36 PM »
Rich, I was wondering about that also, but Audio Sensabilty just wants $175 US $$ which is a great deal with the US Canada exchange rate right now
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Werd

« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2015, 08:09:45 PM »
I just tried sending a money order to Audio Sensibilty in Canada via UPS and it's a no-go due to UPS rules re sending cash or equivalents. Nothing is simple any more. Once I get the Ed Smith cable, I'll ask Greg if I can send it to you and allow extra time on the audition.  I will try and make this work as exchanging gear is lots of fun and a part of this hobby

That comes from Canada... interesting. What about paypal or CC?
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2015, 08:11:00 PM »
One get around it by using USPS/Canada Post with no insured value. You can still get the tracking number. If you give it to Fed Ex or UPS expect an anal ripping at your door.  :rofl:

I really, really hate dealing with USPS and those guys just "delivered/misplaced" a package from my sister in law with gift cards in it. But I think I'll use them AFTER the holiday rush. I never knew it could be so hard trying to give somebody some money 😟
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Werd

Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2015, 08:15:01 PM »

I was trying to avoid PayPal as I'd have to move money into it from one of our accounts. I try to keep my audio cash "slush fund" private from my wife, although she is very understanding about my hobby......this is a hobby, right??
That comes from Canada... interesting. What about paypal or CC?
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2015, 08:18:55 PM »
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649242312-audio-sensibility-statement-se-silver-spdif-bncbnc-digital-interconnect-cable-15-m/

Is this the cable here?

Why.....yes it is! I would be ordering the 1 meter. I am interested primarily because it is highly recommended by Greg at MG Audio and I have a hunch it will be very, very good. He commented on my MIT loaner and he is spot on with his description/analysis
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Werd

« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2015, 08:22:06 PM »
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649242312-audio-sensibility-statement-se-silver-spdif-bncbnc-digital-interconnect-cable-15-m/

Is this the cable here?

Why.....yes it is! I would be ordering the 1 meter. I am interested primarily because it is highly recommended by Greg at MG Audio and I have a hunch it will be very, very good. He commented on my MIT loaner and he is spot on with his description/analysis

This is advertised in 1.5 mtr. Get it in that length if you can. Ask for the RCA over too.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline richidoo

« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2015, 08:32:55 PM »
You can send a Paypal from your credit card, just change the funding source. You don't have to have cash in paypal to send money.

Sending small items by post should be able to avoid doodie fees. Good idea!

I have a Black Cat Veloce SPDIF cable you can try for a short audition  Nick. RCA/BNC. Probably not as good as the cables you're trying, but not too bad.