Author Topic: Audio Xpress magazine free  (Read 11038 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Audio Xpress magazine free
« on: February 16, 2010, 08:39:34 AM »
Audio Xpress is a magazine with articles about DIY audio projects.  They are starting to publish digitally, and making the new digital issues available for free for a period of time, I don't know how long.  Good articles and good ads for vendors catering to DIY audiophiles.

Check it out:

http://www.audioamateurinc.com/digital/ax/issue/310/

mgalusha

Re: Audio Xpress magazine free
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 10:39:00 AM »
Last month's is available as well

http://www.audioamateurinc.com/digital/ax210/

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 07:10:43 AM »
 Great Idea they should do well.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 06:14:18 AM »
April issues out today. Spring is almost here!   :thumb:

http://www.audioamateurinc.com/digital/ax/issue/410/

Offline richidoo

Re: AudioXpress magazine free online
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 07:26:22 AM »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 12:10:15 PM »
  checked it out. Love the mag. Thanks.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

shep

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 10:56:47 PM »
Nice layout too and the adds are a nice addition because they are full of tweaks for geeks!

Offline richidoo

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 05:03:20 AM »
The ads are always my favorite part.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 05:53:20 AM »
No, I think "free" is the best part.  :D

All kidding aside, This is a nicely written, professionally done publication. I am very happy to see something of this caliber being done on the net. I am afraid that something like this will be the only long term future for the high end audio press. The set up costs for small press runs are huge and as people in the hobby start jumping ship for other hobbies (like Home Theater?) and readership shrinks, print magazine could soon end up at the point where putting out a paper magazine becomes cost prohibitive. Online publications may soon be all we have left. But as with most online business models, the biggest challenge is to develop enough cash flow to keep the operation going. With all the ads these guys seem to have figured this part out. It is also nice to see an online publication that is obviously being run my some people with significant experience in the publishing business. So many of the online publications you see out there are amateur operations being done by hobbyists. Not that there is anything wrong with a hobbyist publication from a journalistic point of view, but many of them fade away when the original pubishers find that they are no longer fun to play with. What excites me the most about Audio Xpress is that they seem to have put together a viable business plan that can hopefully a)set them up for long term success and b) provide a model for others to successfully enter the online publishing arena with more high end audio mags, thus insuring us as audiophiles with long term alternatives for getting information on our hobby.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 06:14:26 AM by tmazz »
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 07:17:08 AM »
No, I think "free" is the best part.  :D

... snip

Not sure it's supposed to be "Free". I was looking through the April issue...

http://www.audioamateurinc.com/digital/ax/issue/410/

and noticed an add on page 18 that mentioned subscriptions are $25. I checked the link...

http://www.audioxpress.com/magsdirx/ax/axsub.htm

and sure enough paper is $37/year and digital is $25/year.

Nice mag just the same.
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline richidoo

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 07:35:43 AM »
I get the print mag, have subscribed for a few years. They also do speaker builder, voice coil, and another one I can't remember, along with a lot of books, software and PCBs.  They've seen around forever, almost literally.

They took a big hit in the recent collapse of consumer confidence in our dear leader. The magazine used to be 70+ pages, now barely 40. Mostly big advertisers are left, a lot of the small timers have split. I think the online thing is a cost saving measure, since print and distribution is so expensive. And it also allows new readers to discover, and maybe subscribe. I would like to believe that they are the model for the future, but i fear they are heading in the opposite direction. Issues are still getting smaller each month, and this months articles were pretty boring compared to the usual.

Sensible Sound is another magazine that bit the dust last year. They were supposed to have merges with AudioXpress, but the size of Xpress doesn't seem to indicate that. Sensible Sound website is still up, so who knows. They aren't returning emails. I liked that one even better. I used to buy it on the newsstand until 2 years ago.  I hope they all make a strong comeback.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 10:29:18 AM »
Bummer, I mistakenly thought this was a new gig. :(
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline richidoo

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 12:37:19 PM »
They seem to be trying to hang in there, still being creative and making new content and publishing every month. So let's hope it's all up from here!

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 05:20:30 AM »
If there is a bright side to the current economic conditions, it's that people will begin to emote again, making better music, leading to people wanting to hear it better... and the hifi industry will re-emerge quickly with lots of cool products to offer.  It'll be a while but maybe worth the wait.  And who knows, maybe some lessons will be learned about greedy lawyers running the US... nah, that's just crazy talk. ;)

I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 04:32:38 PM »